red hot pin test for ivory

henrylr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought a red hot pin test was a way to verify ivory--- Ivory will not melt and pin won't sink in. Will a red hot pin sink into all the man made materials like aegis, elforyn, ivorin, ect.?

Thanks,
henrylr

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought a red hot pin test was a way to verify ivory--- Ivory will not melt and pin won't sink in. Will a red hot pin sink into all the man made materials like aegis, elforyn, ivorin, ect.?

Thanks,
henrylr
What are you testing?

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member

Thanks,
henrylr

Blacklight.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Thanks,
henrylr

It will likely melt mark most thermosets/thermoplastics. It will also burn the $h!t out of your hand. :eek:

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I was under the impression that a red hot pin would sink into ivory, but you'd get a smell like burning hair. Other materials would smell like plastic.

I'd urge caution about using this test on a cue...unless it's a cue you don't care about.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I was under the impression that a red hot pin would sink into ivory, but you'd get a smell like burning hair. Other materials would smell like plastic.

I'd urge caution about using this test on a cue...unless it's a cue you don't care about.

Ivory doesn't melt with the heat from a lighter or match, just heat up a pin with that and see what happens

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member

Thanks,
henrylr

At the very least you'll damage the surface of the cue. They are all coated in a clear coat.

henrylr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ivory test

When I use the red hot pin test I only stick the face of the joint and for the butt cap under the rubber bumper.... no visible pin *****. I have never used it on a ferrule or inlays. Also when I have used it the pin sinks in immediately, so the pin is removed within a second. For inlays I use a magnifyer and light and look for, I think they are called, streger lines.

henrylr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ivory test

Correction to my previous post the lines are called schreger lines.

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh Yeah... The Ole HOT PIN TEST.
Ignorant people in power positions, Border Guards usually.
Some Jackass poking your 3500 dollar Phillippi with red hot irons in a place like maybe Costa Rica.
(you really don't want to spend time in their jails so you don't punch the border agent)

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh Yeah... The Ole HOT PIN TEST.
Ignorant people in power positions, Border Guards usually.
Some Jackass poking your 3500 dollar Phillippi with red hot irons in a place like maybe Costa Rica.
(you really don't want to spend time in their jails so you don't punch the border agent)
Do you REALLY think what you describe is a likely scenario? If you are going to travel with a cue why would one even take the chance, as unlikely as it is? Take a plain cue if you're that paranoid.

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you REALLY think what you describe is a likely scenario? If you are going to travel with a cue why would one even take the chance, as unlikely as it is? Take a plain cue if you're that paranoid.

Some people pallet and pack their automobile into a container when they vacation overseas. Common Practice.
Taking a personal cue is not any different.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Most of the tests mentioned will not differentiate ivory from bone.

Magnification will.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Still waiting after two years, for a test on this one.

Attachments

• Ivory Cue Ball Post 1.jpg
    Ivory Cue Ball Post 1.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 214

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
When I use the red hot pin test I only stick the face of the joint and for the butt cap under the rubber bumper.... no visible pin *****. I have never used it on a ferrule or inlays. Also when I have used it the pin sinks in immediately, so the pin is removed within a second. For inlays I use a magnifyer and light and look for, I think they are called, streger lines.

Correction to my previous post the lines are called schreger lines.

another link
https://www.fws.gov/lab/ivory_natural.php