What happened to Wei's table?

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was going to diagram something to post and I found that Cuetable isn't working anymore. I tried several alternatives that Dr. Dave had listed, but they all seemed pretty crappy and mostly without instructions.

What do you use if you want to diagram a sequence of shots, or even just illustrate one shot with lines?

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
I have not found a great alternative either, the Wei Table was awesome.

I used Chalky Sticks, it's okay but still no comparison.

If you find a good alternative please post it up.

Steve

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For just a single diagram (including lines) I use Shotpad.

It's convenient if I have to make notes or want to illustrate memorable shots that I encounter.

As for a multi-page illustrator, I don't think anything has ever equaled what WeiTable at one time offered.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I tried this one but couldn't find a way to draw lines. Am I missing something?

Thanks for the other replies, too!
Greenshot is a program that allows you to capture an image from your screen as an image file. Paint allows you to draw lines on that image.

I use "cropper" to do screen grabs.

I usually use FrameMaker to draw pool diagrams but I would not recommend it to anyone who does not already have it. It is expensive and buggy and unsupported. If anyone out there does have FrameMaker, I can give you a table diagram like the following.

CTHROW1.GIF

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I used chalky sticks for my pattern thread. I think it works pretty well. It may not be as pretty as the wei table, but you can get ghost balls, balls, lines, arrows, etc. All the other stuff you can add in paint. I struggled a bit with the embedding which was a bit patchy, so I just did a screencap and then worked in paint. A bit tedious, but it works. Btw the speed in the diagram is off, but I just didn't want to go back for the edit. You need a softer speed for this outcome. Also, I wouldn't shoot the shot this way normally. I just wanted to show the curve function is all.

It's really easy to use the program. Lines are added by clicking left button once on origins and once on destination. Balls are simply dragged from the bottom onto the table. To remove balls from the table, just drag them to the pocket. A bit touchy, but when you hit the pocket properly, it goes away. To remove lines, just highlight them and hold the left mouse button for 2 secs. The curve function is kind of intuitive, but not super easy to use. Just make a straight line or arrow from origins to destination, the press the "curve" button. You can then bend the line to your liking. Most of the other stuff is self explanatory.

Regarding the Wei table, I believe the creator eventually gave up maintaining it, after having been repeatedly attacked by hackers. Sigh, why can't we have nice things.

Attachments

• demo chalk.png
    demo chalk.png
    41 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used chalky sticks for my pattern thread. I think it works pretty well.

Chalky Sticks was the first program I tried using. I nearly threw my keyboard through the window. Almost every time I tried to make a line it would connect to the upper left corner pocket for some reason. I found it impossible to draw a line between two balls that were close together.

I find it odd in this day and age that something like this is taking such a huge technological step backwards. Does anybody know if Wei was contacted about loaning or selling his program out to a place like AZ?

... don't get it. :confused:

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Chalky Sticks was the first program I tried using. I nearly threw my keyboard through the window. Almost every time I tried to make a line it would connect to the upper left corner pocket for some reason. I found it impossible to draw a line between two balls that were close together.

I find it odd in this day and age that something like this is taking such a huge technological step backwards. Does anybody know if Wei was contacted about loaning or selling his program out to a place like AZ?

... don't get it. :confused:

Yes, those line bugs in Chalky sticks get pretty annoying, but you learn to work around them after a while. I guess I've subconsciously learned how not to trigger the diagonal/corner pocket line bug as often, because it rarely happens to me now. I can't explain how I do it, though.

The "Drawtable" program doesn't seem to have lines at all, but it's got nice graphics, and there's always "Paint" or other picture editing software that can do that. Personally I don't have the skills or time to make it look clean. But you might.

I seem to remember a thread about the Wei table some time ago, but I can't find it with Google. That's where the hacking thing was mentioned I think. It might have been Fast Larry who said it too, in which case it probably isn't accurate. I haven't been able to use it for years now, and it appears it's not coming back any time soon. This is one of the reasons why it might be better to screencap and post pictures, rather than embed codes. Lots of old threads that had the Wei diagrams, can no longer be read.

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't believe any of the new tables are proportionally correct to the balls in size either. If you freeze the balls on the rail, the wrong number of balls fit between the diamonds.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member