Old
  (#16)
cycopath
Call me Banger.
cycopath has a reputation beyond reputecycopath has a reputation beyond reputecycopath has a reputation beyond reputecycopath has a reputation beyond reputecycopath has a reputation beyond reputecycopath has a reputation beyond reputecycopath has a reputation beyond reputecycopath has a reputation beyond reputecycopath has a reputation beyond reputecycopath has a reputation beyond reputecycopath has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 400

06-10-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realkingcobra View Post
I have no idea who's website is the best,

I didnít know if you had a better deal with someone carrying it, where you could maximize your profit. I can just Google it.
Thanks, Iíll definitely be trying that glue!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Kill them, Machine. Kill them all..." - Dino Velvet

Name: Brian
Playing Cue: Larry Miller w/OB Classic
Break Cue: Mace
Table: Piano finish Gold Crown IV (bought from Hemicudas. RIP $Bill)
Profession: Pawnbroker
Hours of play: 2-4 hours weekly
Conceal carry: Ruger LC9

Old
  (#17)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member
realkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5785

06-10-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycopath View Post
I didnít know if you had a better deal with someone carrying it, where you could maximize your profit. I can just Google it.
Thanks, Iíll definitely be trying that glue!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, I don't get involved with the retail pricing with my distribution networks, only if they offer it for sale less than the MAP.

Old
  (#18)
1sttbone
AzB Silver Member
1sttbone has a reputation beyond repute1sttbone has a reputation beyond repute1sttbone has a reputation beyond repute1sttbone has a reputation beyond repute1sttbone has a reputation beyond repute1sttbone has a reputation beyond repute1sttbone has a reputation beyond repute1sttbone has a reputation beyond repute1sttbone has a reputation beyond repute1sttbone has a reputation beyond repute1sttbone has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

06-11-2019, 06:49 AM

wildwood contact cement been used for years and definitely holds great..apply according to instructions . very inexpensive

Old
  (#19)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member
realkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond repute

06-11-2019, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sttbone View Post
wildwood contact cement been used for years and definitely holds great..apply according to instructions . very inexpensive
Weldwood don't have enough shear strength to hold the cloth on the slate as tight as needed, and it's still not strong enough to keep the facings from dropping, I've used it before, when I first started working on pool tables. Cheap is not always the best.

Old
  (#20)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member

06-11-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sttbone View Post
No top tier table mechanic that I know of still uses weldwood today.

Old
  (#21)
bradsh98
Bradshaw Billiard Service
bradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond repute

06-11-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
No top tier table mechanic that I know of still uses weldwood today.
I guess I'm not "top-tier", in the mind of the Mighty RKC.

How will I ever sleep tonight?

Weldwood is one of the cheapest neoprene contact cements available. It is also readily available at any local hardware store. It functions exactly the same as any of the other commonly known neoprene contact adhesives on the market.

In regards to shear strength, it is plenty strong enough for bonding cushions and facings to rails.

However, because RKC is peddling his own contact cement now, every other contact cement on the market is inferior..

I'm not knocking RKC250. In fact, I bought a gallon of it, and I've been using it for the past couple of months. It works fine.. Just as 3M-10 does.. Just as Weldwood does..

The point is: use whichever of these contact cements that you can get your hands on. They all work just fine, if used properly. Each has their differences, but they all function the same.

And don't buy into the hype that RKC250 has no odor.. It is every bit as potent as any of the alternatives. You should absolutely take the necessary safety precautions, when using any of these products.

Geoff Bradshaw

I play with a Hammond Custom Cue. You should too.

Old
  (#22)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member

06-11-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsh98 View Post

Weldwood is one of the cheapest neoprene contact cements available. It is also readily available at any local hardware store. It functions exactly the same as any of the other commonly known neoprene contact adhesives on the market.

In regards to shear strength, it is plenty strong enough for bonding cushions and facings to rails.

However, because RKC is peddling his own contact cement now, every other contact cement on the market is inferior..

I'm not knocking RKC250. In fact, I bought a gallon of it, and I've been using it for the past couple of months. It works fine.. Just as 3M-10 does.. Just as Weldwood does..

The point is: use whichever of these contact cements that you can get your hands on. They all work just fine, if used properly. Each has their differences, but they all function the same.

And don't buy into the hype that RKC250 has no odor.. It is every bit as potent as any of the alternatives. You should absolutely take the necessary safety precautions, when using any of these products.
How does the oder of the RKC250 compare to 3M10? And the facings still drop using weldwood, all you have to do is look at them after the rails ha e been recovered and in use for a while, even 3M10 drops the facings....prove me wrong!

Old
  (#23)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member

06-11-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:

And you're right, all contact adhesives work to some extent, it's just that some work better than others, or all adhesives would be the same formula, yet they're not!

Old
  (#24)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member

06-11-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:

Tell me something, do you use weldwood to I stall the bed cloth on your glue downs??

Old
  (#25)
bradsh98
bradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond repute

06-11-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Tell me something, do you use weldwood to I stall the bed cloth on your glue downs??
I have used Weldwood on bed cloth, though it is not my typical practice. I prefer 3M-90.

Quote:
How does the oder of the RKC250 compare to 3M10? And the facings still drop using weldwood, all you have to do is look at them after the rails ha e been recovered and in use for a while, even 3M10 drops the facings....prove me wrong!
I agree. To avoid having the facings drop, the surfaces need to be properly prepped, and you need to wait an ample amount of time, before bonding the surfaces together. This is regardless of which contact cement is used.

I do not yet have enough experience with RKC250, to confidently say that it is better or worse than the other available adhesives. I have not yet tried Parabond 250, though I see little difference between RKC250, 3M-10, and Weldwood. Slight differences in dry-times and consistency, but not much difference otherwise, including the odor.

Geoff Bradshaw

Old
  (#26)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member

06-11-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
I have used Weldwood on bed cloth, though it is not my typical practice. I prefer 3M-90.

I agree. To avoid having the facings drop, the surfaces need to be properly prepped, and you need to wait an ample amount of time, before bonding the surfaces together. This is regardless of which contact cement is used.

I do not yet have enough experience with RKC250, to confidently say that it is better or worse than the other available adhesives. I have not yet tried Parabond 250, though I see little difference between RKC250, 3M-10, and Weldwood. Slight differences in dry-times and consistency, but not much difference otherwise, including the odor.
I can't stand spray glue installed bed cloths, and again, no top TIER mechanics use spray glue to install the bed cloths, and NO spray glue is as strong at holding the bed cloths tight as a good roll on glue.

Old
  (#27)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member

06-11-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:

I know you're a pretty good mechanic, and I've referred work in your direction several times, but if you're still spray gluing your bed cloths down, you really need to step up to learing how to use the roll on glue method.

Old
  (#28)
bradsh98

06-11-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
I know you're a pretty good mechanic, and I've referred work in your direction several times, but if you're still spray gluing your bed cloths down, you really need to step up to learing how to use the roll on glue method.
Ha! Funny.

Have you ever used 3M-90? It holds every bit as strong as 3M-10.

I will agree that 3M-77 will not hold up. You might get away with it on a bar box, but not strictly edge-glued applications. 3M-90 however, is plenty strong enough, when used properly.

Rolling glue requires much greater care on the cloth. Too much pressure, and you have glue bleeding through.. Even your fancy 'blue' glue will leave a nasty stain. 3M-90 is much more forgiving. Not only that, the odor is MUCH less obnoxious.

3M-90 might be a bit more expensive, but it is much easier to work with, and it is readily available everywhere.

Geoff Bradshaw

Old
  (#29)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member

06-11-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Ha! Funny.

Have you ever used 3M-90? It holds every bit as strong as 3M-10.

I will agree that 3M-77 will not hold up. You might get away with it on a bar box, but not strictly edge-glued applications. 3M-90 however, is plenty strong enough, when used properly.

Rolling glue requires much greater care on the cloth. Too much pressure, and you have glue bleeding through.. Even your fancy 'blue' glue will leave a nasty stain. 3M-90 is much more forgiving. Not only that, the odor is MUCH less obnoxious.

3M-90 might be a bit more expensive, but it is much easier to work with, and it is readily available everywhere.
So you use spray 90 to install the bed cloths on Diamonds as well???

Old
  (#30)
bradsh98

06-11-2019, 05:29 PM

Quote:
So you use spray 90 to install the bed cloths on Diamonds as well???
Sure do. Works great. Has an adjustable spray nozzle. Makes it easy to control the spray pattern. Use a cardboard shield, to catch over-spray. But, if you take proper care, there is very little.

Geoff Bradshaw

Page 2 of 4 12 34

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: