NEED CUE REPAIR (anybody)?

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
have a simple cue repair quest.
Need handle replacement.
The only thing I ask is for the cue to be dead straight when completed.
I have the replacement handle and string wrap.

J$Cincy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m not a cue maker.... But I would think this is probably the most difficult and time consuming repair, so I wouldn’t expect this to be cheap by any means ... good luck buddy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Need handle replacement.

LOOK UP Ryan Theewan ….
RAT CUES-
HE ON FACEBOOK....
You can also try Mueller cues sales/repairs

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
When you say dead straight when done one thing that a cuemaker needs to look at in person before accepting your work is if you have a perfectly straight cue now and just want a handle wood change or if it has a warp decide whether 100% of the warp in in the handle or is some of the warp in the forearm.

killerstroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why the replacement, warp, damage, new design...? Is there a butt sleeve? Are there any rings? Why do you think it's simple? Pictures would help.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Need handle replacement.

Is the forearm straight? What’s the need to replace the handle? Why can’t the original maker repair the cue? Asking for dead straight on a Players cue is insane. Asking dead straight for a top of the line production cue, possible. Is a refinish needed or just the handle? What’s up with the butt sleeve? Price could possibly be what a new cue could be.

You have a lot more questions to answer, before we can even get a basic answer.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Need handle replacement.

Added to what Mr. Hightower posted.
Is the joint screw straight?
There is a lot to this overall job than most people imagine.
You have the linen, that's the easy part.
What makes your replacement handle so special compared to one that the person who's doing the job has?

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When you say dead straight when done one thing that a cuemaker needs to look at in person before accepting your work is if you have a perfectly straight cue now and just want a handle wood change or if it has a warp decide whether 100% of the warp in in the handle or is some of the warp in the forearm.

Thanks for the Reply's.
Cue was badly abused, it's loose where the handle meets the forearm. Knuckles right at that spot.
I was able to find the sweet spot and as far as I can tell, cue is straight.
(not swearing to that, just saying)
3/8 x 10 steel joint pin believed to be accurate.
I can (I will) post photo's next day. (don't have any jpegs right now)

Cue was built here in the USA by a highly reputable cue smith.
It's a very, very good cue that I want to breathe life back into.
When you see it, I think you'll agree.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the Reply's.
Cue was badly abused, it's loose where the handle meets the forearm. Knuckles right at that spot.
I was able to find the sweet spot and as far as I can tell, cue is straight.
(not swearing to that, just saying)
3/8 x 10 steel joint pin believed to be accurate.
I can (I will) post photo's next day. (don't have any jpegs right now)

Cue was built here in the USA by a highly reputable cue smith.
It's a very, very good cue that I want to breathe life back into.
When you see it, I think you'll agree.

If it needs a new wrap/handle, go ahead and remove the old wrap and show us some real pictures.

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it needs a new wrap/handle, go ahead and remove the old wrap and show us some real pictures.

OK, here goes nothing :grin-square:
The joint and hoppe ring are made of Cueball.
Replacement handle straight grain maple cored with purple heart.
I think a little purpleheart goes a long way.

Attachments

• DSC_0001A.JPG
    DSC_0001A.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 436
  • DSC_0002B.JPG
    DSC_0002B.JPG
    163.4 KB · Views: 440
  • DSC_0003C.JPG
    DSC_0003C.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 432
  • DSC_0004D.JPG
    DSC_0004D.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 436

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
First thing I see, as a builder/repair guy, is that the core of the 'new' handle, is not long enough to have the butt sleeve installed on it, which isn't a deal breaker, but if I were doing it, I would want the core to go thru the butt sleeve...best way to keep things aligned.
Now, that being said, if it was built by a reputable cue maker...Take it to them and have them do the work, #1 keeps it original #2 they know how it was done originally and will do what is needed to get it right. You will pay, but at least you know that they are capable right away rather than trusting someone you don't know to do the work.....
Just my .2 cents
Dave

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First thing I see, as a builder/repair guy, is that the core of the 'new' handle, is not long enough to have the butt sleeve installed on it, which isn't a deal breaker, but if I were doing it, I would want the core to go thru the butt sleeve...best way to keep things aligned.
Now, that being said, if it was built by a reputable cue maker...Take it to them and have them do the work, #1 keeps it original #2 they know how it was done originally and will do what is needed to get it right. You will pay, but at least you know that they are capable right away rather than trusting someone you don't know to do the work.....
Just my .2 cents
Dave
Ok, got it.
I've tried to contact the original maker and he cant be found.
Joe at Cue Componeants sent the handle to me, I'll ask if he can redo it.

Mikiemopa

pechauer dealer
Silver Member
If you can screw the a joint apart , get u some epoxy and screw it back together, rolling it to make sure it straight when tight. Buy some linen off ebay and do it yourself.

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Meanwhile, if there's anyone who has time and would like to repair the cue, contact me.
(maybe I should trash the cored handle?, I doubt joe will come through)

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joe at Cue Componeants sent the handle to me, I'll ask if he can redo it.

I bet not one person will accept the job now.

BTW, year after year many of us are too busy for repair work, find someone who specializes in repair only. Asking cuemakers to do the work can be hit or miss.

I would certainly back just about anyone in here to do that job for you, many in here are very qualified to fix the cue, good luck, good day.

mohler

Registered
A cue repair person would probably want to see the cue before giving you an estimate. Giving your location may get some local response.

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you can screw the a joint apart , get u some epoxy and screw it back together, rolling it to make sure it straight when tight. Buy some linen off ebay and do it yourself.

If things were only that simple :)

Mario

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
got a Dolphin in the Tuna net.
Hooked up with an Az buddy to work with (lucky me) :grin-square:
I'll be posting JPEGs very soon.