A question for cuemakers

aswarola8

I have a cue I bring with me while I travel for work. I do not like the pivot point on it, as it forces me to bridge uncomfortably far from the cueball. What can I do to bring the pivot point forward?

I am open to lighter or heavier ferrules, harder/softer or shorter/longer tips, or having the shaft turned down. I just don't know which option will do what. I suppose I could talk to the cuesmith who will be completing the work, I just want to come into it with a background knowledge of what I might want first, with the added bonus of sniffing out a hack... if they don't know what they are talking about.

triley41395

You'll shoot your eye out
Silver Member
I have a cue I bring with me while I travel for work. I do not like the pivot point on it, as it forces me to bridge uncomfortably far from the cueball. What can I do to bring the pivot point forward?

I am open to lighter or heavier ferrules, harder/softer or shorter/longer tips, or having the shaft turned down. I just don't know which option will do what. I suppose I could talk to the cuesmith who will be completing the work, I just want to come into it with a background knowledge of what I might want first, with the added bonus of sniffing out a hack... if they don't know what they are talking about.
I'mgoing to give you my answer as a player not a cuemaker. By pivot point I assume you are referring to the ballance point. The first thing you can try assuming it has a weight bolt is try a lighter one. If the weight is steel and a shorter one doesn't do the trick you may be able to try an aluminum bolt or possibly no weight at all. Some weights are difficult to remove so you might still consider having a qualified repairman or cue maker do the job. There are more options in regards to the joint,pin and shaft insert but really need to be done by someone who is qualified. Some details you might mention for a complete answer are what type of joint and pin it has(stainless steel joint, wood to wood joint, is it flat faced or piloted, type of pin SS. or maybe G10) Some pictures of the joint will help.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Pivot point and balance point are two different things.

Last edited:

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It would help if you shared with us what cue you have and especially what joint pin the cues has, as the joint pin might be a good candidate to shift the balance point. I don't know if your aware of it, but Exceed just released some joint pin weights that works with Mezz cues and I believe they also have the weights for Radial and 3/8-10 pins, if your joint diameter is in the .840" range, that might be something worth checking out.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

What’s the weight of the shaft right now? Diameter at tip and pivot point? What’s the current front end look like, is it drilled out? Anything special done to it? Current ferrule material?