BIGGEST REGRET in my cue buying life.

spliced

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
About a year and a half ago my friend walked into my poolroom with a like new condition tim scruggs cue with 2 shafts, almost identical to the pictures below. Back then I had no idea of the world of custom cues out there- all i played with was a house cue. He only wanted $500. He needed money so bad I probably could have even talked him down some. I took a look at the cue and thought, who the hell has $500 to spend on a cue, especially a plain one? Needless to say, I am on my 5th custom cue now and I am forever kicking myself in the ass.:(

100_0670.jpg

100_0669.jpg

100_0667.jpg

100_0666.jpg

78_12.jpg

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to live about 15 miles from Richard Harris, and had many chances to buy several of his cues when they were in the $200 range...... yep..... I never bought a one...... :(
Chuck

Panhdlce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought that cue awhile back! (July)? Full 13mm shafts and was the best playing Scruggs I've had!

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The guy feels bad enough....

Panhdlce said:
I bought that cue awhile back! (July)? Full 13mm shafts and was the best playing Scruggs I've had!

Man, we all have stories like that one.

Ken

ScottR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Selling a Jim White Hoppe-style cue with amboyna burl sleeve and points and 5 veneers. That cue plays SO good and was perfectly executed by Jim.

Oh, yeah. I sold it once, bought it back, AND THEN SOLD IT AGAIN!!

Gawd I am a SUCH a dummy . . . . :(

ScottR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We won't even talk about the Gus cue that the seller and I ended up $25 apart on in the early 80's. :eek:

misterpoole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
me too

RiverCity said:
I used to live about 15 miles from Richard Harris, and had many chances to buy several of his cues when they were in the $200 range...... yep..... I never bought a one...... :(
Chuck
I lived close to Dennis Searing's shop in Dave Florida back in the 90's. I had him make me a cue, had a chance to buy many others used, and was on his list for a second cue when I had to move. For some reason I cancelled my order for the second cue when I moved. His cues were still 'cheap' in those days but the quality of craftsmanship was already there. Later, I started getting interested in other custom cues and then realised how well made Dennis's cues are made. It was too late by then. Prices went way up and wait list was too long for me. :rolleyes:

spliced

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Panhdlce said:

Seriously, ouch. Lol great stories here tho, makes me feel a little better.:D

IM

Mystick Cue Fan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think this one is worse than all of yours. I had a good friend of mine buy a cue for 300 not knowing what it was but knew it was a well made custom cue. An older one anyway. Well anyway, He sold it for 250 because he couldn't get anyone to buy it if he didn't have a clue what it was. The guy who bought it told him later that month that he had it authenticated that it was a CRAIG PETERSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG. It was pretty fancy too. It was about a 3,000 cue. Well if anyone beats that let me know. Oh yeah. Same guy sold an omega 6 pointer for 350 about a year ago. not knowing what it was. :eek:

Hunter

The King of Memes
Silver Member
Mystick,

If you don't take him up on those kinds of deals, please send me his phone number, would you :D !

Thanks!

Steve

Bamacues

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
All the looking back at the things we SHOULD have done...

In 1968, I was a young player, pretty good I guess, and wanted a 2 piece cue like the road players. I knew nothing about cues, so I asked the pool room owner to help me decide on a cue. I settled on a Brunswick that cost me around $30, but the pool room owner tried his best to talk me into ordering a custom cue like the top pros were using...but who the heck would spend $100 on a pool cue, especially one made by some guy with a name like Balabushka????

mad-mat

psycho
Silver Member
when i was the last time in the US, i was in Chris's Chicago and had only money left over to buy one cue (a european should always buy cues in the US to finance the trip :)

I had the choice between a plain wonderful Ray Schuler (no SLC), and a quite fancy Pechauer.....and decided for the Pechauer, cause it would have been easier to sell over here

I still regret that everytime I think of it, or see a Schuler here in Germany

zeeder

Will queue for cues
Silver Member
I've not been in the game long enough to really have any regrets. If my ER pair would have sold I, more than likely, would have regretted that. In time, I may come to regret selling the semi-fancy Gilbert that I sold.

I suppose that I only really have two regrets at this point. First, that I didn't get into cues sooner and second that I don't have unlimited disposable income.

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
zeeder said:
I've not been in the game long enough to really have any regrets. If my ER pair would have sold I, more than likely, would have regretted that. In time, I may come to regret selling the semi-fancy Gilbert that I sold.

I suppose that I only really have two regrets at this point. First, that I didn't get into cues sooner and second that I don't have unlimited disposable income.

Zeed ... I will never understand how a student can afford all those cues you have ... lol You have got to quit claiming them as dependents on your W2 ... ROFL One of my biggest regrets was not with a cue, but
a '59 hardtop/convertible Corvette that I could have gotten for $1,100, and could only come up with $1,000 back in '68.

Purdman

Banned
Snapshot9 said:
Zeed ... I will never understand how a student can afford all those cues you have ... lol You have got to quit claiming them as dependents on your W2 ... ROFL One of my biggest regrets was not with a cue, but
a '59 hardtop/convertible Corvette that I could have gotten for $1,100, and could only come up with $1,000 back in '68.

I didn't have $3,000 for a 1963 split window coup back in 1970. The guy that bought it put a frosted red paint job and had the interior all button and tucked. God what a beauty!!!!
Purdman:D