Thoughts on Pechauer, pro+ LD shaft, and extension

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently scored an old, well used Pechauer pro from the mid 90's. the cue had some finish issues and the black wrap was pretty fuzzy and loose in some places. The cue is a simple ebony stain with 4 natural points.
picture.php

I sent it to the Pechauer shop for a refinish, rewrap, and to have the Pechauer speed joint installed on the butt and shaft. I was more than happy with the results. Jon at the shop was very helpful and communication was easy with all my questions being answered quickly and completely. I opted to go with a white wrap with black specs in order to "lighten" the overall look of the cue. I think it worked out great.

picture.php

I also got a good deal on the LD shaft and the extension from joerack'em (neilson's billiards on the 'Bay) Order came in days before the estimated arrival date. Fast shipping and great prices.

picture.php

I went with the 30" shaft at 12.5 mm. I haven't played enough with it to notice a huge amount of difference in the LD properties, but it hits solid, transfers english easily, and I love the extra inch. I can directly compare it to my Mcdermott G-core and a buddies Predator Z series. The Pro+ feels more solid than the G-core, which mine has a twangy hit. I probably couldn't tell the difference between the Pro+ and the predator with my eyes closed.
picture.php

The extension is super lightweight, and the install was straight forward and easy, even though the butt of this cue is larger (longer) than their modern day cues, it is working so far. You get a full compliment of weight bolts with the extension, so weight adjustments are quick and easy. Even at 6'4", I play position poorly enough that I stretch and reach for a lot of shots on the 9 foot table. This extension should pay dividends, since the bridge hates me as much as I hate it.

This is my 3rd Pechauer Pro model cue. I have hit/played with almost all the top cues since I recently started league play, and am fortunate that I can afford to buy any cue within reason. Needless to say the Pech. cues feel better and I like the way they hit way more than any cue I have tried/owned. Throw in the top notch customer service, made in small town america, and I imagine I will be playing with these Pechauer's for years to come.

kempf80

Registered
I also bought a Pechauer Pro+ shaft (got a discount) and for a while I thought it was broken or something. Whenever I wanted to test it out it played strangely but the last time I took the time to examine and reshape the tip it came with and then it played fantastic. I concur with with the orig post that the LD-properties are nothing too great but it has a better feel than say the Predator z2 or 314/2. It is a low deflection shaft however and it makes some shots easier so I'll stick to it now that it works. That's a nice looking cue by the way. Thanks for the review.

TEAM SLO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great find.... I started with a craigslist pechauer..... and eventually got a prototype from this forum, and recently got my camelot 10. I dont see myself ever selling any of my Pechauers like my previous cues.