Fractional Shot "Coverage"

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But instead of guessing or estimating the aim lines incorrectly a thousand times before developing better skills, .

Kinda curious, do you know people that guess wrong thousands of times?
Sounds like quite an exaggeration.
But that's what's so great about CTE, Stan has laid out objective reference lines to use so the player can develop better aiming skills more quickly

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Kinda curious, do you know people that guess wrong thousands of times?
Sounds like quite an exaggeration......

Yes.....the average league player easily shoots a couple thousand shots every season. I've seen plenty of players that have been playing for years and have never broke and ran a rack of 8ball. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say they've missed thousands of shots over the years.

Most people only remember when they play great, not the thousands of misses that come before playing great. Over a period of 2 or 3 years, playing once or twice week, most players easily miss a few thousand shots. It's called learning. And, unfortunately, a good number of players keep missing and never get any better. That's the nature of subjective learning -- not everyone develops good judgment or visual skills.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
John - You're on quite a tear with the posting. You just get back from China or something?

Also, you'll find with Poolology that most of your shots are in the A zone, which is easy to do. B is also easy, but you almost don't need a system for that zone because the shots are so close anyway. C zone takes a little more thought, but there are only a small fraction of shots likely to come up in C. So in reality you can just learn the A zone and get the greatest bang for the buck. Easy to memorize and covers a large percentage of shots.

It doesn't need to sound like advanced calculus. 10/40 = .25, 14/28 = .5 and so on. Not too difficult and the payoff is you get a 100% objectively determined aim point to pocket the ball. Not a bad price to pay if you haven't played enough to just know the shots.

Like I said, I bought it and tried it and for me it's clearly hours of time to get the system down well enough. Does it work? Yes I think so. Is it easier than CTE for me to use? No it's not. In CTE you might be able to say that most shots are B perceptions so there is a "most shots" bag for the buck equivalent as well.

Honestly, I am a huge fan of ANY aiming system because I believe that this is what Hal was after. OBJECTIVE ways to aim. If the net result is quickly getting to the shot line without guessing then that's what you want to be able to do.

I will say that in poolology you get an estimated fractional overlap that should be on the shot line. Not an aim point. I say estimated because there is no mm grid on the table that allow you to plot the ball position values perfectly. But you can get pretty good at figuring the values close enough as Brian says in the book iirc.

I just got back from Facebook.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes.....the average league player easily shoots a couple thousand shots every season. I've seen plenty of players that have been playing for years and have never broke and ran a rack of 8ball. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say they've missed thousands of shots over the years.

Most people only remember when they play great, not the thousands of misses that come before playing great. Over a period of 2 or 3 years, playing once or twice week, most players easily miss a few thousand shots. It's called learning. And, unfortunately, a good number of players keep missing and never get any better. That's the nature of subjective learning -- not everyone develops good judgment or visual skills.

Sure shoots the hell out of the HAMB theory to get better

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sure shoots the hell out of the HAMB theory to get better

Yep. That's reality. HAMB is only as effective as the player makes it. It really doesn't take hitting a million balls anyway. If you hit a thousand balls every day for about 3 years, which would take around 5 hours per day, you'll have hit a million balls, and though you might be better than you were when you started, there's no guarantee you'll become a great player.

It's all about the quality of practice. If you pay attention during these 5-hour practice sessions, learning from mistakes, building fundamentals, etc... it would take only a few weeks to become a fairly strong and consistent player. And that's playing everyday, or at least 3 or 4 days per week.

The vast majority of players might hit a thousand balls every weekend in game situations, missing quite a few shots, not really practicing or pushing their brain to higher levels. As this pace it would take nearly 20 years to hit a million balls, and though you'd likely be better than you were when you started, you would not be a consistent/great player. You would improve much quicker by hitting a hundred balls per day, really focusing on the process and results. It takes less than 1 hour to hit 100 quality practice shots. Within a few weeks you'd be hitting em pretty strong, and that'd be a fraction of hitting a million balls. So it's not about quantity....it's about quality.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep. That's reality. HAMB is only as effective as the player makes it. It really doesn't take hitting a million balls anyway. If you hit a thousand balls every day for about 3 years, which would take around 5 hours per day, you'll have hit a million balls, and though you might be better than you were when you started, there's no guarantee you'll become a great player.

It's all about the quality of practice. If you pay attention during these 5-hour practice sessions, learning from mistakes, building fundamentals, etc... it would take only a few weeks to become a fairly strong and consistent player. And that's playing everyday, or at least 3 or 4 days per week.

The vast majority of players might hit a thousand balls every weekend in game situations, missing quite a few shots, not really practicing or pushing their brain to higher levels. As this pace it would take nearly 20 years to hit a million balls, and though you'd likely be better than you were when you started, you would not be a consistent/great player. You would improve much quicker by hitting a hundred balls per day, really focusing on the process and results. It takes less than 1 hour to hit 100 quality practice shots. Within a few weeks you'd be hitting em pretty strong, and that'd be a fraction of hitting a million balls. So it's not about quantity....it's about quality.

See we can agree sometimes, lol Good post