CTE Visual Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Don't know if this is on point for your question...

I wondered what CTE's "perception" would look like for exact fractional cuts (3/4 ball, 1/2 ball, 1/4 ball, 1/8 ball), so I made this pic to illustrate that from the perspective of the shooter after pivoting to center cue ball (CCB) for the shot.

The yellow lines are CTE's "perception lines": one from CB edge to OB aimpoints A/B/C - the other from CB center to OB edge.

The white line is the CB's path (which the shooter is looking straight along).

I'm not a CTE user. Maybe somebody who knows better can explain how these differ from real CTE perceptions for these cut angles. I guess one difference might be that these are after-pivot perceptions, maybe not the ones you should see before pivoting...?

pj
chgo

View attachment 42440

The difference is that the fractional overlap is NOT the CTE perception. In other words there is no such thing as a CTE after pivot perception.

The CTE perception is done pre-pivot and after the pivot the only thing that the shooter is looking at is center ball down the shot line. And at that point the shot might be a 3/4 ball hit, a 1/2 ball hit or a 1/4 ball hit.

But pre-pivot, that is when the sighting is done standing up the CTE perceptions at that moment have nothing whatsoever to do with the fractional overlap at contact.

Here is a video where I took on this subject somewhat. (I wrote the angles backwards but the point should be clear.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_npUkndkc8

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is Ghost Ball easier...more parsimonious?

I doubt anybody has ever used that word in relation to an aiming method! :thumbup: I think ghost ball is really the same thing as HAMB and it doesn't get any parsimonious-er than that.

sacman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
August-2018 Update

After a couple of months using CTE:

I'm having little difficulty in seeing the visuals and sweeping into the offset at full stance. I'm actually surprised at how easy that has become.

What I am currently struggling with is determining the CORRECT visual. As the DVD illustrates: distance is important in CTE. It is odd that for cut shots that are clearly nearly 45 degrees - I use aim point A - when the object ball is several diamonds away. I'm thinking that experience will take care of choosing the correct visual but in the meanwhile I either look like a lucky blind fool (when the target ball falls into a different pocket than the intended) or an amazing shot maker. When I'm on ... I know it. It just feels correct and it is a blast and somewhat demoralizing to my opponent to slam that ball in with authority.

In addition, I'm now lining up my break shot with CTE. I have found that the break is more likely to be a full, dead-on hit.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After a couple of months using CTE:

I'm having little difficulty in seeing the visuals and sweeping into the offset at full stance. I'm actually surprised at how easy that has become.
What I am currently struggling with is determining the CORRECT visual. As the DVD illustrates: distance is important in CTE. It is odd that for cut shots that are clearly nearly 45 degrees - I use aim point A - when the object ball is several diamonds away. I'm thinking that experience will take care of choosing the correct visual but in the meanwhile I either look like a lucky blind fool (when the target ball falls into a different pocket than the intended) or an amazing shot maker. When I'm on ... I know it. It just feels correct and it is a blast and somewhat demoralizing to my opponent to slam that ball in with authority.
In addition, I'm now lining up my break shot with CTE. I have found that the break is more likely to be a full, dead-on hit.
Been there, done that.
You'd be amazed at how many times I analyzed a 15 as a 30 or a 30 as a 15.
Seldom does that happen anymore.
That's where the "hit a million balls" stuff comes into play. The difference now, though, is you're off toward hitting that million balls WITHOUT guesswork.
Sounds like you're doing great to me. Just stay at the table....hitting them balls.
Your infinite intelligence will guide you right into the groove of consistency one of these days....and the pretty part is you never have to go back. In fact, you COULDN'T go back even if you wanted to, your brain has been reprogrammed to see pool shooting as it really is.
Sic 'em.

sacman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
August 15th, 2018 CTE Update:

Practiced at the table at the local pool hall for four hours. The last two hours were playing 8-ball against the ghost. Let me say - I practiced BREAKING many times! Then finally .... just about when I'd had enough ... I beat that darned ghost. Seven balls in a row + the eight. CTE was the reason. How? Because it increased my pocketing skills and confidence to a point where I could focus a lot more attention on the sequence and positioning. I'm an amatuer and so usually only select 3-4 balls to run in a row. Yes - there was some luck involved ... those spherical objects aligned (as do the planets occasionally) after the break - I also use CTE to align with the lead ball on the break for a full hit. This was on a 7 foot table and probably is nothing for those who have been playing for years. But for me - it was monumental. Next goal will come on the 9 footer.

rolagator

Registered

Practiced at the table at the local pool hall for four hours. The last two hours were playing 8-ball against the ghost. Let me say - I practiced BREAKING many times! Then finally .... just about when I'd had enough ... I beat that darned ghost. Seven balls in a row + the eight. CTE was the reason. How? Because it increased my pocketing skills and confidence to a point where I could focus a lot more attention on the sequence and positioning. I'm an amatuer and so usually only select 3-4 balls to run in a row. Yes - there was some luck involved ... those spherical objects aligned (as do the planets occasionally) after the break - I also use CTE to align with the lead ball on the break for a full hit. This was on a 7 foot table and probably is nothing for those who have been playing for years. But for me - it was monumental. Next goal will come on the 9 footer.
yes ,CTE PRO 1 is awsome. been there. keep it up. your on right track. Don't give up.

Roland

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Here's what's coming for you.........and you will flip out when it hits you.
When you get to the degree of understanding where your sweeps become automatic....those balls are going to start going in like they were radar controlled.
And you're going to say.."This is all I've got to do? And the ball gets pocketed????. Where has this stuff been all my life?"
Keep studying and watch it happen.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It'd be nice to see some video of your progress -- maybe you running some racks deploying CTE. It would help to put things in perspective.

Lou Figueroa

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It'd be nice to see some video of your progress -- maybe you running some racks deploying CTE. It would help to put things in perspective.

Lou Figueroa

There is plenty of video out there of people playing with CTE. What exactly would you be looking for when watching someone using CTE?

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Strike 1. We've talked about this.

Two questions:

First off, tell me when and what "we've talked about"? I have no idea what you're referring to. People ask for video all the time and I don't recall you speaking up when I was getting hammered for not having video up about playing by "feel." It wasn't until I posted video of me running 100 that that that went away.

Second, why is there a problem with asking for someone to demonstrate their progress with an aiming system? It would be interesting to see how it's working for him and maybe we'd all learn something. It'd also be good to know, at what level the guy is at. If he's a strong player running multiple racks using a particular system, that would be worth seeing. If he's not a strong a player, that's worth seeing too, and helps put what he's saying about success with the system into context.

If people are going to make claims here there is no reason why there can't be a polite request for documentation. No one here can make him put up video and if he doesn't want to that's fine, though that would be telling too.

Lou Figueroa

Mr. Wilson

El Kabong
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lou, your feelings on CTE are well noted.

Tell all of us, right now, are you really trying to help him shoot better pool using CTE?

I call B.S.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lou, your feelings on CTE are well noted.

Tell all of us, right now, are you really trying to help him shoot better pool using CTE?

I call B.S.

I am trying to help me as much as him.

I'm always interested in knowledge. That's why I have scores of books on my shelf expounding on pool systems that I don't use. It's why I want to buy Stan's new book. And my request for video is an attempt to understand how the CTE thing can work for some guys. What is so alien about that idea? Why would that delegitimize my questions?!

Certainly, at some time during your education, you've had an epiphany when a different instructor has explained the same concept you couldn't grasp when taught by another instructor. Even more likely is the case of a fellow student explaining during a study group how they came to comprehend something and all of a sudden a light bulb goes off for you. That concept of learning and understating by listening to different takes on the same theme is at the core of why I asked for video. Just because I don't believe in CTE doesn't mean I don't want to further my understanding of how it works for others. And if I don't "get it" from the way the teacher explains it, maybe I'll "get it" when it's explained by a student.

Returning to my original questions: what were you referring to when you said we'd talked and said I was on strike one? And, what is the issue with politely asking for video? Lastly, would you please ask Cookie to stop trolling me? As he well knows, because I've posted it publicly several times, I've had him (and Spider) on Ignore for years. Incessantly addressing someone in your posts who you know will not respond is clearly trolling someone.

Lou Figueroa

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm always interested in knowledge. That's why I have scores of books on my shelf expounding on pool systems that I don't use. It's why I want to buy Stan's new book. And my request for video is an attempt to understand how the CTE thing can work for some guys. What is so alien about that idea? Why would that delegitimize my questions?!

Certainly, at some time during your education, you've had an epiphany when a different instructor has explained the same concept you couldn't grasp when taught by another instructor. Even more likely is the case of a fellow student explaining during a study group how they came to comprehend something and all of a sudden a light bulb goes off for you. That concept of learning and understating by listening to different takes on the same theme is at the core of why I asked for video. Just because I don't believe in CTE doesn't mean I don't want to further my understanding of how it works for others. And if I don't "get it" from the way the teacher explains it, maybe I'll "get it" when it's explained by a student.

Returning to my original questions: what were you referring to when you said we'd talked and said I was on strike one? And, what is the issue with politely asking for video? Lastly, would you please ask Cookie to stop trolling me? As he well knows, because I've posted it publicly several times, I've had him (and Spider) on Ignore for years. Incessantly addressing someone in your posts who you know will not respond is clearly trolling someone.

Lou Figueroa

Then how do you know i politely responded if you have me on ignore.

Mr. Wilson

El Kabong
Gold Member
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa

So now you've seen the light and through your epiphany, are now a CTE believer and practitioner?

I've seen no evidence of your asking for help with CTE.

please post links where you are singing the praise of CTE and I'll reconsider.

The standing instructions are: Post constructively or stay out.

As for being trolled, did you report? Don't expect me to know of any example that you didn't report.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So now you've seen the light and through your epiphany, are now a CTE believer and practitioner?

I've seen no evidence of your asking for help with CTE.

please post links where you are singing the praise of CTE and I'll reconsider.

The standing instructions are: Post constructively or stay out.

As for being trolled, did you report? Don't expect me to know of any example that you didn't report.

Nothing I said or implied could possibly be construed as meaning I've become a "CTE believer or practitioner." I said I wanted to understand it better. That's why I asked for video. There is *nothing* negative about that request.

As for Cookie, I just did report him to you. Here, I'll do it again:

Giving him the benefit of the doubt -- that he somehow missed that I've had him on Ignore for years -- I ask again that he stop. He knows now and you know now. And by any standard definition, repeatedly posting to someone who has you on Ignore, in the hopes of getting a rise or whatever other rationale, is trolling. It certainly does not meet your standard of posting "constructively."

Lou Figueroa

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nothing I said or implied could possibly be construed as meaning I've become a "CTE believer or practitioner." I said I wanted to understand it better. That's why I asked for video. There is *nothing* negative about that request.

As for Cookie, I just did report him to you. Here, I'll do it again:

Giving him the benefit of the doubt -- that he somehow missed that I've had him on Ignore for years -- I ask again that he stop. He knows now and you know now. And by any standard definition, repeatedly posting to someone who has you on Ignore, in the hopes of getting a rise or whatever other rationale, is trolling. It certainly does not meet your standard of posting "constructively."

Lou Figueroa

The forum has calmed down A LOT and people are getting along much better. I assumed you would like to be a part of better times on here, so i asked what kind of info are you seeking by asking someone to post a video. Are you looking for anything specific in said video? Maybe i could be helpful in pointing you in the right direction. Or are you up to your old tricks of trying to bait someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.