The Unicorn: Show pics of pointed veneered cues with wooden handles: not full splices

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wrapless full splice cues and merry widows are very very common.

What you never see are traditional pointed cues with veneers, that also have a wooden handle.

I call it a unicorn because I searched and searched and could find very very few examples.

Would love to see cues like this that people have. I am ordering a Tascarella and would prefer to go this way, but want it to look good.

Look forward to the pics.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You mean a short splice wrap-less cue?

They are pretty common.

Or do I take your meaning wrong?

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Spalted Tamarind, Cocobola and Curly.

IMG_1941.JPG

Like this?

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You mean a short splice wrap-less cue?

They are pretty common.

Or do I take your meaning wrong?

You have it right. I found some with a ebony handle and a couple with wood the same as the forearm, but that is about it. Maybe there are a lot of them but difficult to find using an internet search.

I am considering using something like a flame birch handle with a cue that uses straight maple and cocobolo for the forearm and points.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thank you. I don't post pictures to often. But anyways. The difference between the 2 handles is. The Coc cue handle is stained. The Rose wood cue handle is dyed.

Please post your work more often. Your work is pristine, and your construction is well documented as bullet proof. That finish is simply stunning. :cool:

ELBeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Barrenbrugge

Do yourself a favor and search for Dave Barrenbrugge's cues. You'll see a number of short spliced cues with wrapless handles and some unique ringwork as well.

012.jpg

029.jpg

711e1905386c2fae251b9449c6529da8.jpg

Attachments

• Bar26a.jpg
    Bar26a.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 298
  • BarSn1b.jpg
    BarSn1b.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 321

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Wow! Just what I was looking for... I could not find any pictures to see if what I was picturing in my mind would work.

On this pic you had two cues with wood handles that I think would be perfect for my cue, that look pretty much the same.

The cues 3 from the left and the windowed butt cue 12 from the left have the same curly figured golden wood. What is that? Is it simply golden dyed curly maple or is it an exotic wood?

Attachments

• 8169388059_63dfcd5782_h.jpg
    8169388059_63dfcd5782_h.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:

DaveM

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm really enjoying scrolling through these beautiful cues. Thanks to everyone who posted.

ELBeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe those to be curly/figured sapele. To be clear, these are not my cues. I think those pictured might be from Shadowmoss (Eric). You may want to check with him and do some searching now that you have some helpful keywords.

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe those to be curly/figured sapele. To be clear, these are not my cues. I think those pictured might be from Shadowmoss (Eric). You may want to check with him and do some searching now that you have some helpful keywords.

I messaged him. Thank you so much. That is some collection of cues