The Name Of The Game Is Snooker

Underclocked

.........Whut?.........
Silver Member
Thanks. I had never seen that match between those kids. :grin:

Doesn't get any closer than that, does it?

TheThaiger

Banned
Thanks. I had never seen that match between those kids. :grin:

I haven't opened the link but presume it's the match where Hendry missed a slow straight black in the middle, and MJW pot the mirror image return in the corner to win it. The beeb showed highlights of that match during the interval of a recent tournament, and what struck me, aside from how young they were, was the composure of the players.

You can stick everything else up your backside - composure under pressure is why they're champions, not coaching, not aiming or even talent. Composure. I'd be shaking like a shitting dog by that stage, and neither Hendry nor williams seemed to have a care in the world.

Scaramouche

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't opened the link but presume it's the match where Hendry missed a slow straight black in the middle, and MJW pot the mirror image return in the corner to win it. The beeb showed highlights of that match during the interval of a recent tournament, and what struck me, aside from how young they were, was the composure of the players.

You can stick everything else up your backside - composure under pressure is why they're champions, not coaching, not aiming or even talent. Composure. I'd be shaking like a shitting dog by that stage, and neither Hendry nor williams seemed to have a care in the world.

Don't presume. :D
Williams and Hendry not playing.

But do put up a link to the match you are talking about. :p

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I remember watching that game between Ding and Marco. Nearly made me gag. :D
The attempts to hit the yellow demonstrate a huge difference between snooker and pool safes. Since ball-in-hand is the result for "no hit", pool players always really, really try for the hit (with rare exceptions when they play intentional fouls for a tie-up). Consequently, slow roll-ups are almost never played at pool. I have seen Karen Corr play one very effectively in a situation when the typical pool player would try to get separation after contact.

Underclocked

.........Whut?.........
Silver Member
I think Ding should have played a curve on his first attempt. His result could have been no worse than what ensued.

It looked like it should have been fairly easy (from here :D ).