Unknown cue maker please help me

poolcuejunky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi there I bought this cue and I'm having trouble figuring out who it's made by. It looks as if who ever made it knew what they were doing. It looks to me like its a vintage? Maybe 70's or 80's. The shaft has some yellowing of age maybe? I tried cleaning it but it stays dark. its a nice cue and the ferule is ivory. I don't know much about cues. Perhaps someone can help me? Thank you and I appreciate your viewing this listing and all of your input. Here is a picture I will try to add more
View attachment 392181

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi there I bought this cue and I'm having trouble figuring out who it's made by. It looks as if who ever made it knew what they were doing. It looks to me like its a vintage? Maybe 70's or 80's. The shaft has some yellowing of age maybe? I tried cleaning it but it stays dark. its a nice cue and the ferule is ivory. I don't know much about cues. Perhaps someone can help me? Thank you and I appreciate your viewing this listing and all of your input. Here is a picture I will try to add more
View attachment 392181

You need a lot more pictures. The screw looks like an 18 and the collars phenolic. The ring work looks pretty good and I an shying away from saying import. It may be a nice cue with some value but we need more pictures.

2strong4u

Banned
I had 2 cues like this with the same linen. one in the maroon color like yours and one in black. Both were one piece birds eye maple the entire butt length (merrywidow cues). Both, like yours are wrapped in Cortland line, Irsh linen. If you don't know this is a 1960-70s fishing line that was used to wrap early cues. The derlin butt caps, heavy steel joint collars and the joint pin all screw old school to me. These are not junk either, not priceless either.

I felt that these could be early unmarked Tim Scruggs cues, but nobody could confirm that.

In my opinion these are not import cues. The materials used and the execution tells me a custom maker produced them way back in the day...early to mid 1970's. I'm always looking at cue sales...ect and I have never seen one like yours except for the 2 I had. Mine were bought off ebay from a guy who's dad had owned a sporting goods store in Maryland. So that puts the cues right in Scruggs neighborhood...

I had the cues refinished and kept the Cortland wrap, just cleaned it up good. As I recall I sold then for 550-650.

How long is your cue assembled from tip to the end of the derlin buttcap? How much does it weigh? It is straight?

Last edited:

poolcuejunky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The cue is exactly 58" from ferule tip to butt cap. Ferule is 1" long ivory. Bumper to leather tip measures 58 1/2". The butt has a small lift at the joint when rolled not to bad. The shaft has a wobble but the tip does not leave the table when rolled. When the cue is assembled it rolls straight. The shaft has that same bit of wobble and the joint does lift a little bit but the tip never leaves the table. The butt weighs exactly 15 0z even. And the shaft weighs 4.1 oz. The Cortland line explains why the wrap finish has some of that textured feel. It isn't as smoothe as linen wrap. This cue shoots pretty awesome I might add but I don't plan to play with it much. I really appreciate you taking the time to give me all of this information. Is it possible to have someone confirm it? I heard Bob Frey worked with or for Tim Scruggs many years ago when Tim first started the company? I would love to have all the information on this cue. It's funny because lately Ive been looking for a Tim Scruggs cue and it's possible all along I've had one and didn't know it. Lol

2strong4u

Banned
The cue is exactly 58" from ferule tip to butt cap. Ferule is 1" long ivory. Bumper to leather tip measures 58 1/2". The butt has a small lift at the joint when rolled not to bad. The shaft has a wobble but the tip does not leave the table when rolled. When the cue is assembled it rolls straight. The shaft has that same bit of wobble and the joint does lift a little bit but the tip never leaves the table. The butt weighs exactly 15 0z even. And the shaft weighs 4.1 oz. The Cortland line explains why the wrap finish has some of that textured feel. It isn't as smoothe as linen wrap. This cue shoots pretty awesome I might add but I don't plan to play with it much. I really appreciate you taking the time to give me all of this information. Is it possible to have someone confirm it? I heard Bob Frey worked with or for Tim Scruggs many years ago when Tim first started the company? I would love to have all the information on this cue. It's funny because lately Ive been looking for a Tim Scruggs cue and it's possible all along I've had one and didn't know it. Lol

The list of potential makers would be few...I always thought early Scruggs from his first couple years was a strong possibility. His cues were unmarked then. Look at the stacked, dashed rings at the joint...Scruggs made them like that...who else did them like that then? I was in elemetary scheool so IDK. Maybe some old timers will chime in. With the ivory ferrules you know it's not junk.

Copied from the Blue Book of Cues
"In 1978, Tim decided to start making cues of his own. He went to visit with another young cuemaker, and friend, for many years. After this visit, Tim returned to Baltimore to set up shop. Bob Fry, a friend of Tim´s since the sixth grade, offered to help Tim to start making cues. That same year, Tim Scruggs Custom Cues was founded in an old meat storage building on the outer edge of Baltimore.
Early Tim Scruggs cues were similar to the cues he was making at Joss, but they were unmarked. Soon his cues developed their own unique style, and began a series of ongoing improvements. By the early 1980s, an intertwined "TS" was being stamped on the Delrin butt caps. All of Tim´s cues had ivory ferrules until 1985, when he started experimenting with other materials, eventually settling on melamine, with ivory being an option until 1997, when it became standard again."

poolcuejunky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's great thank you so much. I will give Bob a call on Monday. I really appreciate you taking the time for me and gathering all of this information.

SWN99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The ring work on the but looks a bit more detailed than any early Scruggs cue, could it have possibly been repaired and the buttcap replaced?

poolcuejunky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i think the butt cap was replaced because you can feel a slight difference in width between butt cap and butt sleeve.

poolcuejunky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol. That is funny. I couldn't resist in buying it when I saw the joint and the ringwork. Now I'm on a mission to find its maker. Thank you all for your help.