durability of carbon fiber shaft

brandon0350

I recently replaced my old cue with a new Predator Sport with a Z3 shaft. I upgraded because my previous cues shaft had a fairly small size dent/ ding right where my bridge is placed. The ding wasn't terrible, but i constantly thought about it while i made shots. Fast forward two weeks and i have the same size ding in my new shaft. I dont understand, This cue has been babied, never dropped, set on a table or leaned against anything. It could possibly be from the inside of my case? Anyways, it bugs me so im now looking at a carbon fiber shaft like the Revo. I just want to make sure that the Revo will be more durable than a wood shaft. Any advice or experience would be appreciated.

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
While many have all kinds of opinions regarding carbon fiber on this site, most from no first hand experience at all, the one thing you can count on with a carbon fiber shaft is an end to those annoying dings.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently replaced my old cue with a new Predator Sport with a Z3 shaft. I upgraded because my previous cues shaft had a fairly small size dent/ ding right where my bridge is placed. The ding wasn't terrible, but i constantly thought about it while i made shots. Fast forward two weeks and i have the same size ding in my new shaft. I dont understand, This cue has been babied, never dropped, set on a table or leaned against anything. It could possibly be from the inside of my case? Anyways, it bugs me so im now looking at a carbon fiber shaft like the Revo. I just want to make sure that the Revo will be more durable than a wood shaft. Any advice or experience would be appreciated.
You hit it on something without knowing/feeling it. It happens. NEVER seen a case cause a ding/dent. And yes, as the previous poster said cf shafts don't ding. You can scratch them if you're not careful but not ding them.

NorthernArbiter

Registered
I play both the BK Rush and SP2REVO4 playing cue.

The truth is the most significant feature of carbon shafts is their durability. Unless you are incredibly violent with the shaft, it will not ding. Carbon is also highly resistant to warping, and travels very well in airplane checked baggage. Cue ball deflection improvement is only a small fraction better than low deflection wood shafts, and energy transfer is significantly better with pretty much zero shaft vibration... Especially noticeable when your cue is elevated over another ball and you have to hit the cue ball in front of another ball.

As far as your wooden cue shaft ding... Why don't you simply lift it out? I don't know if this is the best way... But what I used to do was apply a wet paper towel (toilet paper) to and around the shaft ding and hang the shaft (tape it) off a clothes hanger in your closet. Leave it soak for a few hours. Then you preheat a clothing iron. Place the cue on an ironing board and cover the cue ding with a wet toilet paper. Apply the clothes iron top top area down onto the wet paper towel where the shaft ding is several times and steam the iron... This process will pull the ding out and leave your shaft smooth again.

Last edited: