Pool Ball Collecting.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry to Kerry, as it's been too long since we've talked. Here is the 1950's-ish clay ball set I grabbed. 2" or 2 1/8", good condition. The final price was an entire jug of beer. :D

Better late than never, sir Ghosst - and those were worth the wait. They sure look to be near-perfect 2” clays and they show beautifully the way you have the stripes angled in the case. Nice work!

A jug of beer is exactly what I’ll need now knowing what you paid for them

Cheers!

~ K.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
These came up in another thread....old Hyatts?

258CE1A7-E1D7-47F8-BFC4-EB7C26C1E358.jpeg

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
These came up in another thread....old Hyatts?
Those are clay balls of the Brunswick "Dart" design. As close as I can figure from old Brunswick catalogs, they were made from about 1940 until about 1960. You can see the same design elements in the Centennial design. I think Hyatt was making balls for Brunswick at that time. I recently sold a good looking set of those on Ebay -- few bids.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A friend (and fellow collector here on the PBC thread) and I were chatting the other day about the two preeminent TV sets being used this year around the world in numerous Pro events - the Aramith Tournament TV Pro-Cup and the Cyclop Hyperion....including their differences and similarities. So I pulled them both out for the weekend play sessions as well as the iPad for a few side by side pics for the comparison.

b7c2ac160909f531b3898cd5bf7ff1a4.jpg

5e6aa7c6e5a60151b1dc0004210e4efc.jpg

bee26b2105dc53fa3304d02b91dabda4.jpg

c3611a255fe769a530c6310e877c89ac.jpg

Now if we can only play well enough to get on TV - beside our own Apple TV that is

~ K.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Good afternoon, Mr K. :)

Both beautiful pool ball sets in my view, sir. I’m particularly interested to compare the variation of colour in the respective cueballs, the Aramith having a much more yellowish hue. Coincidentally, it’s a feature I have just commented upon in writing my latest insert card instalment. Hope to share it soon.

Best wishes,
RC.

bfriesth

Bolder
Silver Member
Comparison

Thank K2...I also like to compare these two current sets. How about comparing the Brunswick Centennials to these sets? In my mind the Centennial was THE set for a couple decades. Seems to me the Centennials are the Old Guard and the Premium and Cylop the new. All super cool sets.

bfriesth

Bolder
Silver Member
Baseball

My current project is to find a set of modern Baseballs. Could you gents answer a couple questions for me?

• -Did Aromith make a complete set of 21 balls as well as an add on set?
  • -What set of Aromith were the 15, 21 or 6 ball add on were the comprised of...Premier, etc.
  • -There is an replicate add on set out there
    . What do you think of that as a temporary solution until I can obtain the original?

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Hello, Mr B. :)

Yes, sir, Aramith did indeed make a complete set of the 21-strong Baseballs. They were based on their Premier range. Alas, they are no longer in production. However, Mr K and I know the gentleman who purchased Aramith’s entire stock some time ago and, at the last count of which I’m aware, eight sets remained. K2K was considering buying them all, dear chap, but I’m not sure of his latest plans on that score. Perhaps send him a private message?

Hope that is of some help and encouragement in your quest, sir. :)

Best wishes,
RC.

Meucciplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi,

I bought the Aramith add-on set not too long ago. Must have been about 6 months ago. Doubledave sold them to me brand new. He did not have them in stock but ordered them from Aramith themselves. At least that is my understanding.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Good morning, Mr M. :)

I hope you are well, sir. I thought of you today, dear fellow. Whilst out walking in the local woods with my beloved pet dog I stumbled upon a small collection of very striking mushrooms or toadstools. They were about six to seven inches tall with a large, bell-shaped cap. Light brown in colour with speckled areas of white.

Having no idea if they were good to eat or highly poisonous I left them well alone. :)

Best wishes,
RC.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
My Wanted List.

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen. :)

This is a reprint from an earlier post several months ago. I hope you don’t mind, but I’d like to reprise it a few times just in case somebody might be able to help out.

Very early on in the thread I posted up a plea for help in securing a much sought after box of Joe Camel marbleized pool balls. After searching for this rare and desirable set myself for many years I had almost given up hope. Thanks to AZB member XPLSV's detective work, however, miracles do happen once in a while and a pristine example was found in a Colorado Springs antique store.

Buoyed by such a remarkable discovery, please allow me to also share details of a dozen other elusive sets that I would dearly love to add to my treasured collection. Any information at all that might help in their acquisition would be deeply appreciated indeed. I can be contacted directly through this forum's private messaging service or, if you're viewing this thread as a guest, via my personal email address: ruperman@ruperman.com

A. It is rather depressing to ponder upon the countless hours I have spent online in a forlorn quest to obtain this wonderful curiosity. Four contrasting designs grouped together to form a pool ball set that, in my view anyway, is something of exceptional beauty and interest. To the best of my knowledge the grainy photograph above is only the second such image ever to appear anywhere on the world wide web, a copy of the original eBay listing dating way back to 2003. I want these balls bad, dear reader. Any leads at all, no matter how remote they may seem, would all be most gratefully received.

B. This tricoloured set is really pleasing to my eye. I love the traditional fonts (akin to Aramith Premiers) and the fact that they are numbered 1 to 5 on each of the yellow, blue and red colours. They were originally sold through Muellers but I was distraught to just miss out on their last ever consignment. I later found an identical set being offered by a company called shelti.com. An order was immediately placed with much elation and satisfaction at such a serendipitous stroke of good fortune. Imagine my disappointment when the delivered set did not match the sale advertisement at all. Only three of the balls were numbered for some bizarre reason and the fonts were of a newer 'art' design which is not to my liking. The search goes on. A pristine, unused example must be out there somewhere. I just have to find it.

C. I already own a mint condition set of these awesome Poker Balls. My motive for including them here on this 'desperately seeking' gallery is a desire to find another similar box for my good friend and fellow collector, K2Kraze. This set is often attributed to the mighty Aramith, but my contact at the illustrious Belgian company assures me that this is not the case. After extensive research, primarily focusing our investigation on the distinctive typeface, we now believe these exceptional balls were probably created by Albany Hyatt of New York.

D. Marketed as a collaboration between Aramith and the prestigious Champagne brand, these striking Veuve Clicquot balls have thwarted every attempt of mine to acquire them. Aramith insist they are only available via their commissioning client, a firm called Games Room Company of Weybridge, England. Frustratingly, my many polite enquiries to GRC (and even Veuve Clicquot themselves) have all gone unanswered.

E. One could almost copy and paste the entire paragraph featured above to also describe everything about these iconic examples. Once again the product of a partnership between Aramith and a manufacturer of luxury consumer goods, and once again proving impossible to procure even the merest glimpse of a set let alone buy one. Aramith refuse to sell them at any price, and Louis Vuitton can't be bothered to answer any correspondence.

F. These striking balls are called Krom Premieres, an innovative creation from Belgian pioneer, Pierre Deveaux. They were the subject of a failed crowdfunding enterprise in 2014, but having corresponded with Mr Deveaux via email I am led to believe that a few prototypes are in the hands of original investors. Can one be unearthed by the esteemed detectives of AZB, perhaps?

G. Regular contributors to our thread may have noticed that I recently shared news of my incredible luck in tracking down this exceptional Raschig Four Player set to a small town in rural Germany. If my deductions are correct it was created as a prototype in June, 1983 and I consider myself truly blessed indeed to own such a rare gem. Until acquiring the balls in late 2018 I wasn't even aware this fabulous design existed, they're undoubtedly rather special. Yet where there is one, there is surely another. And I would dearly love to find one more to take its deserved place in Mr K's unparalleled collection down in Fort Worth.

H. This branded Raschig Bumblebee was nestled amongst an impressive private collection featured on these very pages many years ago. I saw it whilst browsing through the archives. I want one! It also raises the possibility in my mind of more (as yet unseen) creations from the famous German firm of the 1970s and 80s. Given the recent discovery of their Four Player and One Pocket sets, surely it is feasible to imagine Raschig also produced Poker Balls, or any number of other desirable incarnations? I'm of the view that they probably cast every conceivable model also offered by contemporary billiard ball manufacturers. One just has to find them!

I. Completing my trio of all things Raschig, here are their amazing One Pockets... a veritable swarm of fifteen iconic Bumblebees and a pristine cueball. Has there ever been a more beautiful set of pool balls? Not in my view, that's for sure. I intend to do everything in my power to find additional examples to share with fellow enthusiasts.

J. I can offer no higher praise of these Hyatt Romanique 1s than to acknowledge the fact that they are the one single set I desire above all others. Not only are these balls exquisite in my view, they're also of a rarity and historical import seldom seen before, if ever. Any information at all that might help secure a set for my own treasured collection would be sincerely appreciated beyond words. Quite understandably, of course, existing owners of such a precious jewel are often reluctant to part with it for something so evanescent as mere money. Here is my plan, dear reader: I have before me a mint, never played set of the much sought after Raschig Turniersatz R9s in original box with booklet, PLUS its sister set the Raschig Spots and Stripes R15s in a similarly untouched condition. I would be prepared to swap BOTH of these remarkable (and very valuable) sets for one pristine example of the fabulous Hyatt Romanique 1s. One can but try!

K. As evidenced across the only surviving image of these elegant, world globe inspired pool balls, they were cast by the Chinese firm, Lincos. Following lengthy discussions with a company representative I was able to ascertain that a single production run of 200 was ordered by a client in 2006. No existing samples remain at their Xiamen factory and, worse yet, they have destroyed the original mould. Despite such discouraging news, surely some if those initial sets must be tucked away somewhere?

M. First of all, ladies and gentlemen, please accept my apologies for the confusing typo. Rest assured there was a letter L once upon a time, but it didn't make the final cut in arranging the pictures and I neglected to correct the error. Sorry! The balls shown in this final image are commonly referred to as Raschig Darts or Centennials. It is the only thing that is common about them, however, as they are remarkably rare and highly desirable. I have witnessed just two sets come to market in the past twenty-five years and missed out on both.

Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to read through my top twelve wanted list, everyone. I hope it was at least of some interest.

Best wishes,
RC.

Attachments

• Wanted Sets AZB.jpg
    Wanted Sets AZB.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:

Meucciplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Rubik's,

if you want you can email me pictures if you are interested in the shrooms. I cannot and am not allowed (by local law) to really advise you WRT edibility but I could tell you how and where you can double-check for probable species. It is too risky to advise people to eat mushrooms solely based on pictures which may hide some important features (like smell, certain other features in the stem and cap and so on).

Back to topic:

One problem is that you are seeking only pristine sets, right? If I ever - not very likely - happen upon a well used set of the above, should I notify you?

WRT poker ball sets and Raschig. I don't know for sure but I doubt that a German company would have made those back in the day. Well, this depends on how much of their sets they sold in the US and elsewhere, but still ...

Over here in Germany not even One Pocket as a game is really known widely. In my pool club, I often get bewildered looks mentioning such a "strange game". Much less poker pool. I once mentioned a ball set being totally different from what they know over here - the Poker Set. They had yet to see one to believe me.

Another fun thing is to open my box 16-21 balls for baseball in a club and rack them. You are sure to create some kind of strange comments. People here only know the popular rotation games, 8-ball and 14.1. Anything beyond that would either be considered to be "kid's pool" or totally strange and irrelevant for the serious player. At least that's the way it is down here in Munich.

Game Hunter

Registered
Over here in Germany not even One Pocket as a game is really known widely. In my pool club, I often get bewildered looks mentioning such a "strange game". Much less poker pool. I once mentioned a ball set being totally different from what they know over here - the Poker Set. They had yet to see one to believe me.

Another fun thing is to open my box 16-21 balls for baseball in a club and rack them. You are sure to create some kind of strange comments. People here only know the popular rotation games, 8-ball and 14.1. Anything beyond that would either be considered to be "kid's pool" or totally strange and irrelevant for the serious player. At least that's the way it is down here in Munich.

What games are popular in Germany today, both pocket and carom? Did you know that Germans once played with 21 object balls? https://books.google.com/books?id=UlZeAAAAcAAJ&dq=pyramide%20billard&pg=PA81#v=onepage&q&f=false

Meucciplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What games are popular in Germany today, both pocket and carom? Did you know that Germans once played with 21 object balls?

I did not know that 21 ball games ever existed here. Looking at the font, and checking the cover I see that these were ancient times :) 1855!

It would be interesting to revive some of that old stuff.

Pocket games which are popular - pretty much the same as in most parts of the world.

Starting with the most popular nowadays:

9-ball (serious players)

8-ball (hobby and amateur players)

10-ball (only serious players, unknown to most amateur hobby players)

14.1 (not quite as popular, but still played by quite a few serious players in leagues)

Snooker (British style) is becoming more and more popular. However, due to the large tables and the space requirements and money involved in setting up 12' snooker tables, it won't be seen outside of dedicated clubs a lot. TV broadcasts of professional snooker games make it very popular as a sport, though. Many people have seen it on TV. Undoubtedly more people have seen snooker games compared to pool games - due to the TV coverage. A little of that enthusiam surely helps pool a bit. Snooker tables can be found in several (most) dedicated clubs. Usually only one, sometimes two tables. But the game is considered to be too hard by most amateurs.

I could not tell you much about carom. Never played it. It is not easy to find carom tables although my current club has 3 or 4 of them. I believe it is the only public place in and around Munich with such an offer. But I would consider the popularity of that game as close to non-existant. A few hardcore fans are around, though. Much more popular in French speaking countries.

There is even one place where they have 2 Russian pyramid tables. Supposedly due to immigrants.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Hello, Mr M. :)

Alas, I didn’t have my mobile with me so couldn’t take a quick photograph of those mushrooms. Rest assured though, dear chap, I would never even touch anything like that, much less eat them, without knowing exactly the species.

Regards the pool ball collecting: You’re quite right, sir, I do only collect pristine (or near pristine) condition examples. That being said, however, I would still be very interested indeed to hear about any used sets of the rare balls on my list, Mr M. I’m always keen to learn something new on their historical provenance.

Best wishes and thank you.
RC.

bfriesth

Bolder
Silver Member
Hello, Mr B. :)

Yes, sir, Aramith did indeed make a complete set of the 21-strong Baseballs. They were based on their Premier range. Alas, they are no longer in production. However, Mr K and I know the gentleman who purchased Aramith’s entire stock some time ago and, at the last count of which I’m aware, eight sets remained. K2K was considering buying them all, dear chap, but I’m not sure of his latest plans on that score. Perhaps send him a private message?

Hope that is of some help and encouragement in your quest, sir. :)

Best wishes,
RC.

Thanks RC for that confirmation and the intel. Thanks also to Meucciplayer for that suggestion about approaching Amarith directly. Not a bad idea. I will get to work on my search.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My latest acquisition: Cyclop Athena Tournament Set. This is the Chinese release set with the Green Dot Cue Ball. All balls weight between 168g-170g and play superb. One of my new favorites.

48356622291_6d0a1dc5e9_b.jpg

48356751177_71814d8b2d_b.jpg

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Another excellent acquisition, Mr R. :)

Thank you for sharing the pictures, sir. Can you tell us a little more about how you display your growing collection, dear fellow?

Best wishes,
RC.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Mr Meucci Player (and other enthusiast in Europe).

I forgot to mention something else earlier, sir. I’m desperately seeking some empty Aramith boxes in near mint condition, particularly the larger rectangular boxes with 22 spaces for 2.25 inch balls. If you ever stumble upon any that might be available I’d deeply appreciate a heads up.

Best wishes,
RC.