Your in a slump: shoot through it or fast?

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
slump my fanny
this is the real you

get over those postive self affirmation

you are lying to yourself

thisis the best you will ever play

expect to get worse

This was actually true for me. I didn't have a pool slump, the wheels fell off. They were never on right to begin with and the mind's eye seems to be painted a fair shade of rose. But it was a slump in that I had to do what everyone else has to do:

Video yourself.

If you can't see the problem, send it to someone who can. Post it on here in the Instructors forum. Listen very carefully to what they say and do it.

I'm currently shooting terribly, but that's more to do with the mind being occupied with other things than any physical issue. I know it will get better but in the meantime I still video every game. I see the mechanical problems caused by my wandering mind and I can address those at least.

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This has been a great thread. When I originally posted, the goal was to find where everyone's head is at when the going gets tough. After all, this game is entirely driven by the mind. You can have all the physical ability in the world but if your head isn't right, talent is moot.

So, what did you do. Play through it or fast? And did it work?

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i discovered slump is my true speed so i have to match up accordingly

Last edited:

coxcol15

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

As for me, I was never in a slump. I started the thread to simply gain perspective and learn more about the mentality of the general pool shooter. While I'm no world beater, I like to believe I play a pretty good game and I've gained a bit of respect around our local BCA league (approx. 200 shooters). At 33 years old, I have become very approachable for the youngest shooters in the league and they often come looking for advice. This thread has been an outlet for me to gain knowledge to feed back to those that are looking to grow

Imac007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This has been a great thread. When I originally posted, the goal was to find where everyone's head is at when the going gets tough. After all, this game is entirely driven by the mind. You can have all the physical ability in the world but if your head isn't right, talent is moot.

What function to what intent was the peek into other people’s head? We’re not here for amusement. Why revive the thread just to reveal such a motive?

I post and start threads here to try to help developing players learn. Trial and error is slow and time consuming. Those willing to share are not lab subjects.

coxcol15

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What function to what intent was the peek into other people’s head? We’re not here for amusement. Why revive the thread just to reveal such a motive?

I post and start threads here to try to help developing players learn. Trial and error is slow and time consuming. Those willing to share are not lab subjects.

you answered your own question. peep my comment directly above yours. I use threads like this to gain insight to then pass on to developing shooters. If you're playing the role of forum police, well then I'm sorry for playing a game on your field. And IMO, we are here, a little bit, for the entertainment. As far as "reviving" a thread, it was my first response as the OP, to which I believe I'm entitled

Last edited:

Imac007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you answered your own question. peep my comment directly above yours. I use threads like this to gain insight to then pass on to developing shooters. If you're playing the role of forum police, well then I'm sorry for playing a game on your field. And IMO, we are here, a little bit, for the entertainment. As far as "reviving" a thread, it was my first response as the OP, to which I believe I'm entitled

No police presence here, just concern. Injection of the thought of integrity into the conversation does not fill me with regret. Open forum not my domain. Just trying to discourage littering.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
No police presence here, just concern. Injection of the thought of integrity into the conversation does not fill me with regret. Open forum not my domain. Just trying to discourage littering.

Personally, I find the OP's reasoning for the thread to be legit. He's passing info along for the benefit of learning players.

Even if he was asking for his own benefit and nobody else's, he has the right to do that. Forum members do that very thing every day.

I've certainly seen tons of trivial BS on here over the years, including some recent stuff, that is a LOT less deserving of conversation than the OP's line of questioning. JMHO

Maniac

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

As for me, I was never in a slump. I started the thread to simply gain perspective and learn more about the mentality of the general pool shooter. While I'm no world beater, I like to believe I play a pretty good game and I've gained a bit of respect around our local BCA league (approx. 200 shooters). At 33 years old, I have become very approachable for the youngest shooters in the league and they often come looking for advice. This thread has been an outlet for me to gain knowledge to feed back to those that are looking to grow

I respect your helping others improve...when I started playing, some 60 years ago, information was power and no one wanted to share. Over the years I have found this exercise as a way to judge your ability to shoot straight and to shoot straight with English.

Put the cue ball on the head string, 1/2 inch from the side rail. Now put an object ball a couple inches past the side pocket on the same side and again 1/2 inch from the rail. This makes the target pocket seem tighter.

Shooting this shot straight in with high, stun, draw, and at various speeds will quickly identify stroke deficiencies.

Now the hard part, but most rewarding. Shoot this shot using right or left English with stun. The cue ball should stop and spin in place. Most good players cannot do this on the first try. This will give immediate feedback on using side spin.

Lastly, put the object ball on the foot string 1/2 inch off the rail and try the same exercises.

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I respect your helping others improve...when I started playing, some 60 years ago, information was power and no one wanted to share. Over the years I have found this exercise as a way to judge your ability to shoot straight and to shoot straight with English.

Put the cue ball on the head string, 1/2 inch from the side rail. Now put an object ball a couple inches past the side pocket on the same side and again 1/2 inch from the rail. This makes the target pocket seem tighter.

I like this. And I’m pretty sure the pocket is tighter than any full pocket shots. Good drill.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums