the ONLY way I'd ever get a carbon shaft...

Cadillac J

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...is if they could make it appear as a natural wood color--there is nothing more ugly to me on a cue than a black shaft--which might be a little weird since my first decent cue my grandpa bought me back in early/mid-1990s, it was a Cuetec Earl Strickland edition all blacked out with a carbon-fiber "looking" shaft and butt, which I still have and use to this day (however, swapped shafts with a new Cuetec to get the R360 shaft on the black carbon-looking forearm/butt with a sport type grip.

Back then I thought it was the coolest looking thing ever. Did not even try it out...funny part is I was maybe 5' 5" and 105 lbs and it was a 20.5oz cue (all they had in the glass case at "Snookers", which had many locations in SE Michigan at the time, but is no longer around). Now at 37 years old (6' 3",185 lbs) and over thirty new cues later, and this one and only Cuetec is still the heaviest in my collection! LOL

Yuck, I cringe a bit to be honest when seeing all black now...just doesn't look right.
ny89l5.jpg

ifdfs0.jpg

Swapped shafts with a newer Cuetec model, now it plays great :)
sl4h2e.jpg

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I love the way my cue looks with the carbon shaft. Black on black I don’t really like. If I ever figure out the pictures on here I’ll throw it up

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Then paint it!

I painted a few bicycle forks (a full frame would be daring). 800 grit wet sand and epoxy spray. *IF* you ran black through the sprayer first with a little oil then *almost* fully cleaned it, after applying a blue shade to it (the tapered section look) you might pull it off (at least in the tapered section). Of course if you don't, it's a PITA to sand back off (do NOT strip it).

If you do paint it and the shaft is low modulus you might want to think twice. Predator doesn't advertise the grade, so you'd want to call them. Although their default answer to that question is probably "high", it feels like "low to medium".

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Life on Earth is based on carbon...
Life in pool is not based on carbon fiber...
...I’m sticking to maple...unless they come up with something that does what maple can’t do.

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
I doubt I'll ever switch from maple.
I don't struggle with deflection and appreciate fine craftsmanship.
I agree though, a black carbon shaft on a hand made wooden butt with points and veneers looks awful.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One mans beauty is another mans eyesore as the saying goes but i like my blak 4 with my revo shaft. Also have a meucci carbon pro on a gambler with a black forearm. I think the predator looks better but the meucci feels better.

To each his own .

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Life on Earth is based on carbon...
Life in pool is not based on carbon fiber...
...I’m sticking to maple...unless they come up with something that does what maple can’t do.

You do know wood is carbon based;)

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I don't care what color it is but I can say my Meucci carbon fiber shaft plays great.

Been playing with wood shafts for just over fifty years but I can see carbon fiber shafts is the future.

So smooth and so straight! Hit's 'em good. Easy to move the cue ball around.

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...is if they could make it appear as a natural wood color--there is nothing more ugly to me on a cue than a black shaft--which might be a little weird since my first decent cue my grandpa bought me back in early/mid-1990s, it was a Cuetec Earl Strickland edition all blacked out with a carbon-fiber "looking" shaft and butt, which I still have and use to this day (however, swapped shafts with a new Cuetec to get the R360 shaft on the black carbon-looking forearm/butt with a sport type grip.

Back then I thought it was the coolest looking thing ever. Did not even try it out...funny part is I was maybe 5' 5" and 105 lbs and it was a 20.5oz cue (all they had in the glass case at "Snookers", which had many locations in SE Michigan at the time, but is no longer around). Now at 37 years old (6' 3",185 lbs) and over thirty new cues later, and this one and only Cuetec is still the heaviest in my collection! LOL

Yuck, I cringe a bit to be honest when seeing all black now...just doesn't look right.
ny89l5.jpg

ifdfs0.jpg

sl4h2e.jpg
OB is carbon, with wood outside

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Becue with two white shafts and they are way easier, to me, to sight down when you are playing. They are painted and aren't as slick as the black ones, though.

Once you get used to aiming down a pure white shaft, a wood shaft looks "crooked" for a while when you switch back. You can see every grain and imperfection until your eyes get used to it.

SlickRick_PCS

Pool, Snooker, Carom
Silver Member

ny89l5.jpg

ifdfs0.jpg

sl4h2e.jpg

If you're too damn concerned about aesthetics in a pool cue, I think you may need to put your cues away and get into interior decorating....

Cadillac J

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're too damn concerned about aesthetics in a pool cue, I think you may need to put your cues away and get into interior decorating....

WTF? You have to be kidding me...seems like 90% of this forum seems to be made up of people over 55 years old, who are extremely picky.

So many of you only own, use or want to talk about $2-$10K custom cues with very specific requirements: "has to have ivory ferrule from a baby elephant between 1.5-2 years old", "gotta have the ultra joint, otherwise nope", "hate floating points", etc, etc.

EVERYONE looks at and factors in a cue's aesthetics before purchasing--if you don't, you are the outlier man.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
WTF? You have to be kidding me...seems like 90% of this forum seems to be made up of people over 55 years old, who are extremely picky.

So many of you only own, use or want to talk about $2-$10K custom cues with very specific requirements: "has to have ivory ferrule from a baby elephant between 1.5-2 years old", "gotta have the ultra joint, otherwise nope", "hate floating points", etc, etc.

EVERYONE looks at and factors in a cue's aesthetics before purchasing--if you don't, you are the outlier man.

Never gamble with a man who wants an ugly cue that hits like a Szamboti.