Your in a slump: shoot through it or fast?

coxcol15

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How do you beat your slump? Everyone is different. Do you shoot through your slump? Or do you simply give your game a break and stop shooting for a couple days?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
A slump can be your best learning experience.....
...what you thought was right has some flaws....
...solitary practise will take you to the next level...
..don’t just hit balls, waiting for the osmosis to get you through it...
...slow down and be aware of everything you’re doing.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Usually, I take a break. When I feel like I can do it with out getting mad at myself, I will play through it and when I do that I make sure to play the best guys I know. I make sure to watch them/ try to figure out their secrets, more than worry about how bad I am shooting. Some say it builds character to work through it, what I just mentioned is the only way I think it is good for me. Just my $0.02.

Trent from Toledo:thumbup:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How do you beat your slump? Everyone is different. Do you shoot through your slump? Or do you simply give your game a break and stop shooting for a couple days?
Go thru your basic: grip, bridge, stance etc. Kinda act like you've never played before. You usually find what's wrong fairly quik this way. Its always a fundamental of some sort.

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
I'm in the biggest slump of my pool life, right now.

I was progressing nicely, watching videos online, practicing, and moving up in skill level. I WAS a 7 in apa 9ball & 8ball, looking to be an 8 in 9ball. I shoot in several local tournaments, and a few friends and I get into cheap action to stay sharp. Now, I can't win to save my soul. I'm down to a 6, and thers's no end in sight.

I've been practicing at home, trying to figure out what's going on. My grip doesn't feel right, my aiming is off, my stance feels sketchy - I'm constantly re aligning, and short stroking everything.

My new Joey cue has some placebo effect, and I ran a few racks; but I'm back to scrub level, now. I just can't get things figured out. The only thing I know, is I think I'm trying to change too many things all at once. Last night, I slowed WAY down while practicing, and broke things down into their micro-movements. Shot way better.

I'm going to stick with it, and shoot through it.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Shoot through it.

It's more demoralizing taking time off and coming back just to continue to play like shit rather then just playing like shit until you come out of it on your own.

rellek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tend to push through it. I generally just slow down, make sure my feet are right and focus on my stroke and things come around. Being a very fast paced player I find that it is really easy to drive my game right off the cliff if something is wrong, so slowing down makes a difference.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When shooting poorly or feeling like I'm getting burned out (they often go together), I like to take a few weeks off from competition (tournaments and $ sessions) but still practice by myself for a couple hours every other day - generally doing a few drills I really like, and concentrating on fundamentals. After a few weeks, I feel recharged, refocused and ready to get back in to competition.

Last edited:

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I’m also in a slump, it’s been off and on for a couple months but I finally decided to force myself a week off of pool. I was getting to where I was mad at myself if I didn’t run every open or decently open rack, and I would earl it up and like buster said everything just felt off. It just kept getting worse the more I played lol. I started 3 years ago and in that time I have only gone 2 days without play once, and a few single days here and there mixed in so I figured stepping away was best for me.

Now I’m like a drug addict. I keep thinking about playing during the day and I fall asleep imagining self running balls lol...kinda silly but true. We’ll see what happens when I get back to it tomorrow.

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
this slump thing looks to be contagious, so, there's not a pill?

the "or fast"? do you mean like in, diet?

I've got issues too,
a wobble maybe,
missing the target,
just by a little.
Don't want to slow down,
cus, if there were a clock,
I'd be late, so, @ 6:30
I gotta go with what I got,
opponent is 3 weeks out,
from a dbl. bypass,
I might have a chance,
A buck and a half,
markets down cryptos up,
I got this...

CGM

It'd be a lot cooler if you did.
Silver Member
I'm in the biggest slump of my pool life, right now.

I was progressing nicely, watching videos online, practicing, and moving up in skill level. I WAS a 7 in apa 9ball & 8ball, looking to be an 8 in 9ball. I shoot in several local tournaments, and a few friends and I get into cheap action to stay sharp. Now, I can't win to save my soul. I'm down to a 6, and thers's no end in sight.

I've been practicing at home, trying to figure out what's going on. My grip doesn't feel right, my aiming is off, my stance feels sketchy - I'm constantly re aligning, and short stroking everything.

My new Joey cue has some placebo effect, and I ran a few racks; but I'm back to scrub level, now. I just can't get things figured out. The only thing I know, is I think I'm trying to change too many things all at once. Last night, I slowed WAY down while practicing, and broke things down into their micro-movements. Shot way better.

I'm going to stick with it, and shoot through it.

This was me to a tee. I have taken time off from competing recently and I am just shooting at home doing drills and just trying to get right.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A little of both... I'll take a few days off, do outside stuff, then come
back and play through. Some video shot on my phone of running
balls usually will tell me what mechanics aren't working.

$.02

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Both, depends on the situation. If it's mental I'll take some time off, if it's physical I'll practice more and focus on the basics.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it is better to take a break personally, maybe videotape yourself and analyze your stroke or what isn't going right.

Granted a different sport with many more moving body parts during a swing, I was at one time close to a scratch golfer, on days I hit the practice range and was playing bad(due to some type of swing mechanics), I felt it better to not ingrain whatever I might be doing that day, that I normally don't do when playing.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
There's an upside and downside to doing it either way.

Shooting through the slump:

Upside - you're still shooting pool
Downside - continuously shooting bad pool can discourage you bad enough to make you think of quitting the game altogether

Fasting:

Upside - you're staying home, saving money, and doing things you've been putting off for months
Downside - you're not shooting pool

I personally have done it both ways. For me, it seems like every time I take a break I come back shooting better AND enjoying the game more. I guess I missed playing more than I thought I did. When I have shot through the slump, it gives me the feeling of having overcome an obstacle in my life, and that gives me some satisfaction.

All that said and I have to admit that with my increasing age/physical ailments, my skills have been diminishing and I am slowly getting used to that fact and accepting it for what was bound to happen.

Pool is still a great pastime and an absolute joy to play.

Maniac

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
What causes a slump?

If you play frequently enough to recognize you're slumping odds are you haven't had a mechanical breakdown. Maybe if you had a physical change in your body, heavy bruise, sprain/strained something, etc.

I believe it can be traced to either less time on the table or a breakdown in focus.

Stress is a powerful thing. A new interest, got a new kayak, motorcycle, etc, takes the mind off what is at hand. There are many outside factors that can take your focus away.

Break the slump, get your focus back. First part is the desire to play. If it's not there, don't play. I've played better from watching others play. Not only pro games but the local tourney games. It builds in me a desire to play, I'm engrossed in the game, I'm visualizing shots and English, speed, the leave...my mind is in full pool mode now. Now, I want to play and my mind is woke to playing pool.