Who won the most $$$?

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
Ok, now I know this will be up for interpretation due to inflation ( if Lassiter won 170,000 back then, it would be 800,000 now, etc ), but all that being equal, who won the most cheese, gambling only, over the entire course of their "career". There's a TON of candidates. Who won the most?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
As you said, from 1942-48, Lassiter won 300,000 gambling at pool. That's 50,000 a year. Back then, that would have bought you about 40 new cars per year or, if you prefer, a pretty big house every year.

Still, I think it's safe to say that guys like Bucktooth and Jack Cooney won a whole lot more than that. What they did, however, can't be done anymore. Staying under the radar is near impossible in the internet era.

My guess is that the answer is Jack Cooney. That whole "Detroit gang" in the 1980-1995 period may have been the biggest action players of all time,and the stars of the Detroit scene, arguably, were the most successful ever gamblers at pool.

My favorite Jack Cooney story is from the night he was inducted into the one-pocket hall of fame just a few years ago. George Breedlove, a prolific and successful road warrior of pool who'd have been well aware of Cooney, attended Jack's induction. I saw George later that evening and he said to me "I never knew until tonight what he looked like." Now that's under the radar!

No wonder Cooney made so much money. Of course, noone knows how much he made.

Michael Andros

Silver Member
As you said, from 1942-48, Lassiter won 300,000 gambling at pool. That's 50,000 a year. Back then, that would have bought you about 40 new cars per year or, if you prefer, a pretty big house every year.

Still, I think it's safe to say that guys like Bucktooth and Jack Cooney won a whole lot more than that. What they did, however, can't be done anymore. Staying under the radar is near impossible in the internet era.

My guess is that the answer is Jack Cooney. That whole "Detroit gang" in the 1980-1995 period may have been the biggest action players of all time,and the stars of the Detroit scene, arguably, were the most successful ever gamblers at pool.

My favorite Jack Cooney story is from the night he was inducted into the one-pocket hall of fame just a few years ago. George Breedlove, a prolific and successful road warrior of pool who'd have been well aware of Cooney, attended Jack's induction. I saw George later that evening and he said to me "I never knew until tonight what he looked like." Now that's under the radar!

No wonder Cooney made so much money. Of course, noone knows how much he made.

As you said, Stu, "under the radar". I think it's still possible but very very rare. If someone NEVER shows their face at tournaments or any other "public" function then yeah, I think it's possible. But with smart phones these days and instant media, it would be almost impossible, even staying only in raggedy pool rooms and bars.

That was half the fun of it back in the day. Trying to figure out whole well someone played, without having ever seen them and having NO idea who they might be.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
it would have to be a regular winner at the rack during its glory days
especially if they played paul brusilov on a regular basis

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know how much, but CJ Wiley won quite a bit gambling.

I would imagine Fats won quite a bit, also.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

I think CJ was more successful than most...he did something with his dough.

Pretty tough to evaluate pool player’s winnings...
..I watched Marvin Henderson win $100,000 one night...being backed...
...his end was $10,000.

Michael Andros

Silver Member
I think CJ was more successful than most...he did something with his dough.

Pretty tough to evaluate pool player’s winnings...
..I watched Marvin Henderson win $100,000 one night...being backed...
...his end was $10,000.

Wow... I think I would've wanted a bit more of the split. Yeah, I'm not risking a dime. But 10%? Hmmm...

10K does sound nice, though! :grin:

Michael Andros

Silver Member

Fatty's who I was thinking, H.E.. But then I was thinking of all the action in Detroit and figured, probably, someone who was centered there won more. But, no records of that stuff were ever kept. It's all hear-say. But that's kinda what makes it so good to hear about. The story aspect of it.

Michael Andros

Silver Member

C.J. stopped in Clearwater and came in the room every day for a few months. ( I believe ) he was setting up a game with Bubba ( this was late 70s or early 80s? ). And if I remember correctly, they finally matched up but I don't think C.J. actually got him for much, relatively. If C.J. is reading this, Family Billiards in Clw, correct me if I'm wrong about you matching up with Bubba.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Wow... I think I would've wanted a bit more of the split. Yeah, I'm not risking a dime. But 10%? Hmmm...

10K does sound nice, though! :grin:

They had some monster action in Baton Rouge for awhile...
..some players were playing for as low as 2.5%.
...the money was big enough that players still played...basically a commercial real estate
salesman’s fee.

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They had some monster action in Baton Rouge for awhile...
..some players were playing for as low as 2.5%.
...the money was big enough that players still played...basically a commercial real estate
salesman’s fee.
Fly Boy would bet it up that's for sure.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i never knew a player who ended up ahead
not ronnie not red not cj not coonie after detroit
not fats not wimpy not titanic

some made it somewhere else like weanie beanie

maybe efren salted away a ton,lets hope so

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it would have to be a regular winner at the rack during its glory days
especially if they played paul brusilov on a regular basis
Yep. More $$ was bet/won/lost at The Rack than any other 'hall on the planet. Sigel and Mataya used to talk about leavin' with brown paper sacks full of cash.

Michael Andros

Silver Member
Yep. More $$ was bet/won/lost at The Rack than any other 'hall on the planet. Sigel and Mataya used to talk about leavin' with brown paper sacks full of cash.

And Carella. At least he was in Detroit a lot, but it would've been the mid 70s so not sure the Rack was pumping back then. Probably was... Word down here in Fla was, he came away with a couple hundred K, several times. But who really knows. Anyone who would've been there is most likely long gone.