Custom cue?

tonyluvspool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is considered to be a custom cue?
Having a cue made to your own design and specs, but the cue maker makes something similar after the new customer sees your design. Is that still a custom cue? How would u feel about what you thought was a custom cue?

DrGonzo

As your attorney...
Silver Member
Having a cue made to your own design and specs, but the cue maker makes something similar after the new customer sees your design. Is that still a custom cue? How would u feel about what you thought was a custom cue?

You still have a custom cue.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

"Having a cue made to your own design and specs"

That is a custom cue.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Having a cue made to your own design and specs, but the cue maker makes something similar after
the new customer sees your design. Is that still a custom cue?"

Yes.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"How would u feel about what you thought was a custom cue?"

Sounds like a Dr Phil question<a statement disguised as a question>

A custom cue doesn't become decustomized because someone makes another cue
resembling it.

If you want an EXCLUSIVE cue, you need to negotiate that with the cuemaker ahead
of time.

Dale

Shannon.spronk

Anybody read this?
Silver Member
Yes you certainly still have a custom cue. If the cuemaker decides to make one in the same style since a customer saw yours then take it as a compliment. It means your design is apparently desirable.

After I ordered my custom the cuemaker used the same rings that I designed for another customer. I think it is pretty amazing given what the rings stand for.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Summit sneaky I bought recently is a custom cue. I didn't design it to my specs or my design, as it was already built when I bought it. I did, however, have it customized after with a 6" screw in extension. Why is it custom? Rick picked out the wood himself, picked out the G10 pin, and it was built to his specs. That is custom.

Custom cues can be made from production cue companies, but IMO they are less desirable.

kaylaemarx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Having a cue made specifically for you can offer unique features which even the best and the highest brand of pool cue fails to offer. A custom cue can give you the looks, hits, and feels just the way you wants it to.

tonyluvspool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What if the only thing changed was the ring work? Or the joint from ivory to something different? Or just the diamond inlay?.
I know I sound like I am nitpicking, just curious.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What if the only thing changed was the ring work? Or the joint from ivory to something different? Or just the diamond inlay?.

If I call Diveney and tell him I want a maple and ebony butterfly sneaky with red, white, and blue veneers; and you call and tell him you want a maple and ebony butterfly just like mine, but with red, white, and green veneers; We both have custom cues.

The only thing that seperates a custom cue from a production cue is if it was mass produced or not. Now, defining how many cues need to be made to be considered "mass produced" is debatable.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Still a custom as far as I'm concerned...especially if you had the taper, the tip, or pretty much anything done to your specs.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
According to Richard Black, the design has nothing to do with the cue being custom. He could make two Bushka cues.......one is in his stock and
has 13mm shafts (ivory ferrules) and the cue weight is already determined.....cue could be shipped in a couple of days.......just specify what type
of wrap......he'll sign the cue Richard Black......that's not a custom made cue. However, change the joint to ivory, add a Bushka ring below the wrap,
well, that's a custom made cue and Richard Black will sign the cue & date the cue signifying it was made to the customer's provided specifications.

Now if you also design the cue like I did with my cue underway with a cue-maker, well, it's obvious that's a custom made cue. But you could also modify
the design of a standard catalog cue, like a Richard Black Bushka cue, say by adding rings or changing the inlays from MOP to ivory, etc., and that
would qualify as a custom made cue. But if you order a Bushka cue from Richard Black and just tell him what shaft sizes you'd like, that cue won't come
with his date and signature because Mr. Black doesn't consider that to be one of his custom made cues, despite the price being over $2k.

Anyway, after hearing Mr. Black's reasoning, and seeing how he signs his cues, I subscribe to his position that making the cue to the customer's exact
specifications determines when the cue is custom made, and that can be either the design or the weights and sizes of the cue's components. Obviously,
I'm not an expert on this by any means but there are going to be obvious cases when a cue was a custom made cue. And there will be some when a cue
is imagined to be custom made but actually was one the cue-maker made on his own that was a model advertised in their catalog or website. Every
RB Pendelton cue, Split Diamond cue or Bushka cue looks identical and unless the customer changes something, Mr. Black won't add the date to his
signature.....the inclusion of the date signifies that the cue was a custom ordered cue. Richard's early period cues were an exception to this authentication.

Now I appreciate the fact that Mr. Black isn't the final word when it comes to pool cues....I just respected his position on this aspect of cue-making and concur.

Matt B.

Last edited:

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Tonyboy - is there a point somewhere in there? And, are we getting any closer to it?

Dale

tonyluvspool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All my questions have been answered. Thank you to every one who has posted a reply.
I have a custom cue I designed and the cue make took an order to remake it. Even though he says he won't make the same cue, that it will be different in some ways. In my mind I think he should of said something like no I can't remake it but we can design something different together

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All my questions have been answered. Thank you to every one who has posted a reply.
I have a custom cue I designed and the cue make took an order to remake it. Even though he says he won't make the same cue, that it will be different in some ways. In my mind I think he should of said something like no I can't remake it but we can design something different together

At the risk of repeating...

FWIW - I have never understood the

I-don't-want-anyone-else-in-the-world-to-have-a-cue-like-mine-attitude. But you are
certainly entitled to feel that way.

That said, it surely seems obvious you need to establish an agreement before the cue
is built.

I expect you will know better next time.

Dale