What's Your Dream Full Splice Cue?

RAMIII

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All, I recently had a cue maker goof on the specs of a full splice cue he was building for me. He really showed his true colors and said, "I'm very sorry, sell the other cue, and I'll build you whatever you want at no cost." What a gentleman!
Now, here's the question: what wood combination should I get? As much as his generous offer appeals to me, I intend to compensate him for the build since this new build will be fancier than the prior build.
I prefer dark woods and have toyed with a dark nose, something like tulipwood or lacewood into ebony, or buckeye burl into a curly maple or ebony nose.... Maybe a rosewood burl into curly maple? Let me know what you would get and perhaps pictures of your favorite woods/cues.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
-Ryan

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
This one...
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=364206
Brazilian Rosewood into Straight Grain Maple. The tone of the Rosewood and the firm dense nature of the Maple made the hit and feel of this cue perfect for me. I kept it bumperless so I could feel every bit of the vibration in my hands.

If you want a dark nose, I'd suggest Maple or Chechen into Ebony. John Davis makes great full splice blanks in the $400-500 range, you can peruse many in all types of combos at Superior Cues (http://www.superiorcues.com/JDBlanks1.html) . Maybe something on that site can give you an idea of what you will pick from your builder...

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
My favorite would be owning Mosconi's Balabushka, and finding out it's a full splice.

ddadams

Absolutely love this cue.
Silver Member

Those are short splice cues.

My dream would be a full splice Sugartree built to my specs with recuts and all

I have one now and contrary to what some may think about saying a cue plays amazing but still selling it - a cue can play FANTASTIC but you still sell it.

Perfect for me? Full splice ST with Texas ebony points into gaboon ebony.

Recuts with curly redwood on outer most point, buckeye burl in middle, and then the Texas Ebony into jet black gaboon.

That would be an amazing keeper.

Would also love a full splice Tibbitts. Finally getting my first one next week but I believe they're all short splices.

Busboy

Wanna Play Some?
Silver Member
Those are short splice cues.

My dream would be a full splice Sugartree built to my specs with recuts and all

I have one now and contrary to what some may think about saying a cue plays amazing but still selling it - a cue can play FANTASTIC but you still sell it.

Perfect for me? Full splice ST with Texas ebony points into gaboon ebony.

Recuts with curly redwood on outer most point, buckeye burl in middle, and then the Texas Ebony into jet black gaboon.

That would be an amazing keeper.

Would also love a full splice Tibbitts. Finally getting my first one next week but I believe they're all short splices.

Yea I wasn't sure thought about it after I posted still amazing cue and so is any searing

lenoxmjs

Brazilian Rosewood Fan
Silver Member
Travis ( Blackcreek) builds the cleanest fullsplice cues/blanks on the planet. I also have gotten some really clean work from Darrin Hill in the past.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Blackcreek
Ebony into Birdseye with green veneers
White/green linen wrap
5/16x14 SS joint
Delrin butt cap
Notched diamond mop inlays

Yeah, not the first time I've run through this hypothetical with myself.

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
My favorite would be owning Mosconi's Balabushka, and finding out it's a full splice.

Well unfortunately since it has rings above the wrap, I would say its not. :)

However you do bring up an idea... if you turned down the prongwood to 3/4" and slid the rings on, could you then slide a handle "blank" on over the prongwood tenon? Could you treat it like a core and still call it a full splice?

Anyone ever try this? As a way to put trim rings on a full splice over the wrap?

JV

RAMIII

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
where are the wood lovers?

Come on guys, no curly koa, waterfall bubinga, mayan rosewood, birdseye cocobolo, lacewood, etc... There have to be some other unique woods that I'm missing. Where's meridian blades?

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member

However you do bring up an idea... if you turned down the prongwood to 3/4" and slid the rings on, could you then slide a handle "blank" on over the prongwood tenon? Could you treat it like a core and still call it a full splice?

Anyone ever try this? As a way to put trim rings on a full splice over the wrap?

JV

Yes, it was somewhat in jest that I brought up that cue as a full splice, knowing that it had rings above the wrap. Even if you were to take a full splice blank, cut it to put in rings, and attach the original pieces with a threaded screw, it probably wouldn't qualify as a full splice, even though the original pieces would be there. Even that could be debatable.

Your idea is more interesting, that is, during the assembly, slide on the ring section, and continue building the cue with a real prong assembly. In my opinion, that would qualify as a full splice cue.

ddadams

Silver Member

JV

Joel Hercek has done things like this many, many times.

I'm pretty sure ALL of his cues are full splice.

Bill @ Cornerstone had a solid PH forearm Hercek and I asked Joel about it.

He said it was a full splice sleeved to look like a merry widow.

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Joel Hercek has done things like this many, many times.

I'm pretty sure ALL of his cues are full splice.

Bill @ Cornerstone had a solid PH forearm Hercek and I asked Joel about it.

He said it was a full splice sleeved to look like a merry widow.

Actually I have seen no Herceks with rings above the wrap maintaining the points. (which is what wildwing and I are talking about) Not saying he never did it, but I do not remember seeing it. If you core a merry widow cue with a splice blank, that is the same as grabbing a house cue and using it as the core of any forearm and calling it a full splice.
What I believe would also fit this category and be an atrocious miscategorization would be to core a forearm with a housecue, inlay the points, and call it a full splice. In which case, lets say Ernie at Gina could do this.

I think some people would have a huge issue with this nomenclature.

Just an opinion....

JV

ddadams

Silver Member
Actually I have seen no Herceks with rings above the wrap maintaining the points. (which is what wildwing and I are talking about) Not saying he never did it, but I do not remember seeing it. If you core a merry widow cue with a splice blank, that is the same as grabbing a house cue and using it as the core of any forearm and calling it a full splice.
What I believe would also fit this category and be an atrocious miscategorization would be to core a forearm with a housecue, inlay the points, and call it a full splice. In which case, lets say Ernie at Gina could do this.

Just an opinion....

JV

Sorry I misunderstood.

I see what you're saying now.

I believe Pete Tonkin had something of this nature the other month in the gallery.

I'd ask him.

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member

Just an opinion....

JV

Yes this has been done, Bob Denali does it for sure.
By that I mean have the forearm and points uncored, turn down
the handle and sleeve that with a different wood.

gr. Dave