WWYD -- 9 ball total trap

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is a position from the 2019 Mosconi Cup. This is a safety left by Filler. With the 1 and 9 where they are, giving up ball in hand is a loss.

In the actual match, there was enough room to play the cue ball between the 3 and the 8 to hit the 1 ball, which Shane did. Suppose the cue ball is tight against the 6. What would you do?

CropperCapture[71].jpg

The full Mosconi Cup is available on Matchroom.live. I think it's $2/month now for US viewers. This shot is from Day 3 coverage, starting at 3:03:00 or so.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you cannot go between the 3 & 8 then there isnt any really good option left that i see. Maybe just miss the 3B with a ton of right english and hope for the best?

r/DCP

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you cannot go between the 3 & 8 then there isnt any really good option left that i see. Maybe just miss the 3B with a ton of right english and hope for the best?

r/DCP
I think that is a viable path but will probably need a little masse to curve the cue ball before the cushion to get more angle.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd try to move the 1 and or 9 by any means possible (taking a foul if needed). I'd fram the CB into the 6 a million miles an hour, trying to disturb the dead 1-9 combo. If no way to get the 6 to hit any of those balls, I'd try 4 rails with the CB, with the first rail being the upper right end rail as viewing the picture.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another option, I can't tell which ball is which (colorblind) is to use the bridge and kick into the endrail, then the long rail, then hit the 1 and carom into the 9 for the win. IDK if that works. It looks like you'd have to bend the CB with draw and/or spin to get it to that path. But if its remotely possible, your'e giving yourself a chance to win on this shot.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Looks like you could 2-rail (or even 3-rail) it out of the bottom right corner and get the hit. No telling exactly where things are left...

pj
chgo

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Another option, I can't tell which ball is which (colorblind) is to use the bridge and kick into the endrail, then the long rail, then hit the 1 and carom into the 9 for the win. IDK if that works. It looks like you'd have to bend the CB with draw and/or spin to get it to that path. But if its remotely possible, your'e giving yourself a chance to win on this shot.

That's what I would do... That said, I'm one of those weird former snooker players that rather use a bridge then put an extension on my cue.

No CB action needed. Just a solid punch with the correct angle.

The exhibition shot is three rails, short / long / long. Goal is to hit the second long below the side pocket. CB will open up on the third rail and might head down toward the 1/9.

Last edited:

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
3 rail kick into the short rail between the 2nd and 1st diamond (toward the general direction of the chalk) then into the long rail then into lower opposite long rail above the 2b going toward the 1 - 9.

maybe even for the win :wink:

EDIT: Went down to the laboratory to give this a try and with a firm stroke shot and reverse spin I made the hit a few times but even better was when it went longer (majority) it also hit the bottom short rail and came under the 1b. Once it made a bad hit 9b and a couple no hits mixed in. I actually like the longer release 4 railer coming under the 1. This is not a very difficult hit if your comfortable getting just below the side pocket on the opposite long rail with reverse.

Last edited:

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3 rail kick into the short rail between the 2nd and 1st diamond (toward the general direction of the chalk) then into the long rail then into lower opposite long rail above the 2b going toward the 1 - 9.

maybe even for the win :wink:

Don't play much pool but looks like the side pocket is dangerously close. IMO +2 from the CB position is about 90% feel and guess work.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's what I would do... That said, I'm one of those weird former snooker players that rather use a bridge then put an extension on my cue.

No CB action needed. Just a solid punch with the correct angle.

The exhibition shot is three rails, short / long / long. Goal is to hit the second long below the side pocket. CB will open up on the third rail and might head down toward the 1/9.
I like the exhibition shot, if only because it looks cool.
Probably a good way to sell out but I know I could get this
one close.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

as a right hander... That is what I would do too. I would hit extremely hard two rails out of that corner and make sure to not go long.

I plan on giving up ball in hand here and I'm moving the one or 9 or both out of there.

Not a strong position to inherit.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I can't tell which ball is which (colorblind) ...
Starting from the right end of the table, the balls are in order reading right to left:
cue, 6, 3, 8
4, 7
2 (by it's lonesome on the bottom rail)
5, 1, yellow jacket 9 almost in the pocket

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now that I look at it closer, I am quite sure I could catch the edge of the five and then the cue ball goes to the end rail and then between the one and 9, then back up table... Not making a good hit, or touching the 1 or 9.

Pretty sure I've done that before. Lots.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Not a strong position to inherit.
Filler played a very nice masse safety to leave the cue ball nearly frozen to the 6 ball. Not sure if he intentionally set up the 1-9 combo. Of course the problem with setting up a combo with the hidden ball is that your opponent might hit it.

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
Being a left hander - I like leaning over the 6/CB and going one rail to the left side, playing to just miss that cluster and go the second rail, aiming to hit the 1 but also being fortunate to hit the 9.

I'll take the foul and force the opp to run out, at least better than the easy 1/9

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I agree with those suggesting a kick to the end rail. I aim out a ways and then shorten it up with a firm swing and low right spin. I feel I have a reasonable chance to get it to arc back and make contact. I'm an underdog but it's my best shot. Also, it has the added benefit of maybe mixing up the combo if I foul. I will be rearranging the furniture!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I agree with those suggesting a kick to the end rail. I aim out a ways and then shorten it up with a firm swing and low right spin. I feel I have a reasonable chance to get it to arc back and make contact. I'm an underdog but it's my best shot. Also, it has the added benefit of maybe mixing up the combo if I foul. I will be rearranging the furniture!
I think this is what you mean. (This is from Virtual Pool, which understands spins and kicks...) And if you get real lucky, you can make the 9 ball as shown. Played about 45 degrees into the cushion with low right:

CropperCapture[72].jpg

Last edited:

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Great minds think alike

If you get passed the 7, it's hard not to at least screw up the combo

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think this is what you mean. (This is from Virtual Pool, which understands spins and kicks...) And if you get real lucky, you can make the 9 ball as shown. Played about 45 degrees into the cushion with low right:

Ya I like this one better. I think the 2 ball? in the middle is a problem on my original shot.