Eyeglasses for shooting pool

Randy9Ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone here wear eyeglasses from Decot Hy-Wyd Sport Glasses? Their website is at www.decot.com. Ever since I've had to start wearing glasses to shoot pool, I've had nothing but problems so I'm looking for eyeglasses that will give me a full field of vision without any obstruction from the glasses themselves.

Thanks,

Randy

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Do this

Click on 'Search' at the top, and put in 'Eyeglasses', there have been 10-12 previous threads about this with several recommendations for the best results.

Personally, I would go with some of the new soft contacts they have out now. I just switched from hard lenses to soft 7 months ago, and they improved my all-my-adult-life vision of 20/40 to 20/25.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Check out this thread:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=33552

My solution is the 7th post.

If you do have a custom pair made, go to your optician and bring your poolstick. Get in your stance on one of their tables, and look at targets that represent the cue ball and object ball, also on the table. (bring along a cue and object ball if you can) Have your optician mark on a set of lenses where you eye is looking through, so he can put the focal center of the lens there.

I'm young, and don't need bifocals, so this might not be entirely applicable to you if you do need them.

third_i

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you can use contacts, get them. The vision is more clear, no distracting glares(sometimes they just catch the light weird) and there are no out of focus spots.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i've often thought about using my reading glasses to play pool, have even tried it a couple of times. i know Karen Coor wears glasses when she plays.

my problem, i assume like others, is when i get down to shoot i end up looking over the TOP of the lens/frame, and they dont do me any good.

whats the solution?

DCP

Randy9Ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
iusedtoberich said:
Check out this thread:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=33552

My solution is the 7th post.

If you do have a custom pair made, go to your optician and bring your poolstick. Get in your stance on one of their tables, and look at targets that represent the cue ball and object ball, also on the table. (bring along a cue and object ball if you can) Have your optician mark on a set of lenses where you eye is looking through, so he can put the focal center of the lens there.

I'm young, and don't need bifocals, so this might not be entirely applicable to you if you do need them.

I currently were a pair of Addidas prescription sport glasses that look very similar to those in the photo provided in your earlier thread. They work okay for most shots but the longer the shot, the more problems I have. I end up having the same problem DCP has. That is, I end up having the top of my glasses interfere with my sight. I'm nearsighted so contacts would be a hassle. At times, I have to take the glasses off to check a close shot such as frozen balls or pocket clearance etc. As others have said, it's a very annoying and frustrating thing LOL

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
Have them, use them, sell them.

Need a pool px.........randyg@poolschool.com

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went to my optician with cuestick in hand and we set up several pretend shots (at my request). While in my stance, he made several measurements on the glasses I was wearing so that the new pair would be good. Meaning I wouldn't be looking over the lens, but I would be looking through the lens.

You have to do this, otherwise, you would just be guessing how big to cut the lenses.

There are several ways to move the lens higher so that you look through it, instead of over it:

1. Bigger lens
2. Longer nose pieces
3. Lower mounting points for the temples and bridge (this pushes the lens upward on your face)

Option 1 and 3 are best possible with a rimless frame design. That gives the optician the opportunity to do whatever he wants.

BY doing a little of all 3, I got a pair of glasses that work 1000 times better than normal everyday glasses, yet do not look that different from normal glasses.

As far as the rifle glasses, I did not want to go that route because I didn't like the way they looked. However, there are a few players in my room who use them and they love them. Plus, they are a proven and ready to go solution, so you won't have to have your optician make you a custom pair. My custom pair was about $500.

mars

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
how about getting progressive lenses with anti glare option. i wear verilox(sp)lenses. always in focus ,just point t]your nose at the target.

mars

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I ordered a pair of Decots...they look Dorky as all get out, but they work...strangely, they help me more on a 9' than a bar box...maybe I use a higer stance on the bar box tables, or maybe it's the 7' length....

1pocket

Steve Booth
Gold Member
Silver Member
pwd72s said:
I ordered a pair of Decots...they look Dorky as all get out, but they work...strangely, they help me more on a 9' than a bar box...maybe I use a higer stance on the bar box tables, or maybe it's the 7' length....
Yeah, I have them too, and I love being able to see the length of the table, but they sure aren't real flattering! You'll hear stuff like: "Those are funny looking glasses" "they don't do you justice" "if you break those, you'll have to go to some windshield place to have them fixed"

But yeah, they work :)

Randy9Ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I may give the Decots a try. I could care less what they look like since I'll only be wearing them to shoot pool. I would rather go with something already proven to work than with custom at twice the price.

Thanks for your replies guys!

Deadon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Randy9Ball said:
I may give the Decots a try. I could care less what they look like since I'll only be wearing them to shoot pool. I would rather go with something already proven to work than with custom at twice the price.

Thanks for your replies guys!

Randy;

Just to add. I had an optician try to make some frameless for me as earlier suggested. Most opticians just don't get it. About $600.00 later, almost 2 months and I ended up with glasses that wouldn't work. I ordered a pair from Decot. 2 weeks and I had them. They don't look that bad and work great. The adjustability is great.

Mike

Grady

Pro Player
Great glasses

I have new progressive glasses from Gordon Harrison of Canada. They are nothing short of great for playing pool. They are lightweight, with wide, high lenses, for when you bend over to shoot. They sit comfortably on the nose and provide perfect sighting for pool.
His website is: www.billiard-eyeglasses.com. Check this gentleman out. You'll like his product.

Grady

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
thanks Grady!

Thanks Grady!

I bookmarked that site for future reference. Those prices are in Canadian making the glasses very reasonable down here.

Hu

Grady said:
I have new progressive glasses from Gordon Harrison of Canada. They are nothing short of great for playing pool. They are lightweight, with wide, high lenses, for when you bend over to shoot. They sit comfortably on the nose and provide perfect sighting for pool.
His website is: www.billiard-eyeglasses.com. Check this gentleman out. You'll like his product.

Grady

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Randy9Ball said:
Does anyone here wear eyeglasses from Decot Hy-Wyd Sport Glasses? Their website is at www.decot.com. Ever since I've had to start wearing glasses to shoot pool, I've had nothing but problems so I'm looking for eyeglasses that will give me a full field of vision without any obstruction from the glasses themselves.

Thanks,

Randy
Hi Randy, I have been using DeCot for three years and HIGHLY reccomend them! They are comfortable, lightweight, and IMO absolutely all you need in the form of glasses for pool. You'll here advice on lasik,contacts and all that but for glasses these are hard to beat. The customer service is unparalleled. Mine are progressive now, my first were single vision, I have hed three lens prescription changes since first getting mine. You only buy the frames once then just get new lenses when you need them. The optician located the center focus high up for pool. I suggest the black frame as some light may reflect off the gold ones. Been there did that. Mine have scratch and anti glare coating also. I personally think they are the best!
Dan

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
I had my eye doc test me and write a lens prescription for 3 ft to 12 ft. Sent it to Decot and ordered the Hi Wide and I love them . Yes, they look dorky but they do work great.

arsenius

Nothing ever registers...
Silver Member
I find this thread funny whenever it comes up, because in Korea, billiards is so popular that they sell glasses just for playing pool and billiards!! They're ridiculous looking, but everybody understands. They're basically huge round rimless glasses. One of the pros I know here wears his all the time, but most people have more fashion sense.;-) I found a picture of him, here it is. You can see the bottom of his lenses. The top goes all the way to his eyebrows

4655bf322c16b

Randy9Ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
quedup said:
Hi Randy, I have been using DeCot for three years and HIGHLY reccomend them! They are comfortable, lightweight, and IMO absolutely all you need in the form of glasses for pool. You'll here advice on lasik,contacts and all that but for glasses these are hard to beat. The customer service is unparalleled. Mine are progressive now, my first were single vision, I have hed three lens prescription changes since first getting mine. You only buy the frames once then just get new lenses when you need them. The optician located the center focus high up for pool. I suggest the black frame as some light may reflect off the gold ones. Been there did that. Mine have scratch and anti glare coating also. I personally think they are the best!
Dan

Dan,

You say the optician located the center focus high up for pool. By that do you mean your personal optician or someone at Decot? The online form at Decot's website doesn't appear to have anything for center focus on it. Do I have my eye doctor figure that out and relay that to Decot?

Thanks,

Randy