Gambling Lingo Question

NewStroke

Screamin Monkey
Silver Member
Reading Fast Lenny's post what does it mean giving him the 16 to 8? or other numbers like that?

Thank

muddawg

Chill Out
Silver Member
One person has to make 16 balls to win, while the other person has to make 8 balls to win.

JDB

Idiot Savant
Silver Member
Dan,

It means that someone must make 16 balls in his pocket before the other guy gets to 8 balls in One Pocket.

I believe that as balls are made they are spotted until you get to a point where 15 total balls are needed by both opponents.

I don't play One Pocket but this his what I believe happens.

brandoncook26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dan,

It means that someone must make 16 balls in his pocket before the other guy gets to 8 balls in One Pocket.

I believe that as balls are made they are spotted until you get to a point where 15 total balls are needed by both opponents.

I don't play One Pocket but this his what I believe happens.

Pretty close, but only the player with the higher count would spot balls. In this case, the player needing sixteen would spot his first 8 balls. At this point they would both need 8. With only fifteen balls on the table, only one person could make their needed amount.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
brandon is correct....

all you have to do is spot up anything totaling over 16 balls

so if you give me 20 to 5 thats 25 balls total

25-16= 9

so would have to spot your first 10 balls

EX:
15/8 =7
11/8 = 3
12/7 = 3

Last edited:

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
brandon is correct....

all you have to do is spot up anything totaling over 15 balls

so if you give me 20 to 5 thats 25 balls total

25-15= 10

so would have to spot your first 10 balls

EX:
15/8 = 8
11/8 = 4
12/7 = 4

You mean 16 balls not 15 balls. A Normal game is 8-8 right. If you gave me 9-7 no one has to spot a ball but if you gave me 9-8 you would have to spot 1 ball.

JDB

Idiot Savant
Silver Member
Reading Fast Lenny's post what does it mean giving him the 16 to 8? or other numbers like that?

Thank

Pretty close, but only the player with the higher count would spot balls. In this case, the player needing sixteen would spot his first 8 balls. At this point they would both need 8. With only fifteen balls on the table, only one person could make their needed amount.

Thanks for the clarification.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
You mean 16 balls not 15 balls. A Normal game is 8-8 right. If you gave me 9-7 no one has to spot a ball but if you gave me 9-8 you would have to spot 1 ball.

thanks...my brain must have fried in the sun today lol...post edited

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
"Long count" handicaps in One Pocket

That is correct. And, the important thing to remember about the spot is that the spotting doesn't take place until *after* the player needing sixteen has pocketed his first 8 balls. Then, all 8 of those balls he just pocketed spot-up simultaneously, in a line, from the foot spot down to the cushion. This prevents the situation whereby the player sets up for an easy spot-shot (by cue ball control) after pocketing his 8th ball, spot up one ball, pocket that ball, control whitey to set up for another easy spot-shot (e.g. draw back a bit), spot-up another ball, pocket it, control whitey for another easy spot-shot (e.g. draw back a bit), spot up another ball, ...ad infinitum until all 8 balls that he/she previously pocketed, are pocketed again.

Simultaneous spotting of all 8 balls prevents that "gimme" situation. Here's a good table illustrating how to handle these "Long Count" situations:

http://onepocket.org/handicaps.htm

-Sean

Last edited:

sliprock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is correct. And, the important thing to remember about the spot is that the spotting doesn't take place until *after* the player needing sixteen has pocketed his first 8 balls. Then, all 8 of those balls he just pocketed spot-up simultaneously, in a line, from the foot spot down to the cushion.

http://onepocket.org/handicaps.htm

-Sean

I think the way it's supposed to be done, The owed balls are spotted at the end of an inning. If I owe 8 balls at the start of my inning and run 5 and then miss, Those 5 balls are spotted and I start my next inning with 3 balls still being owed. The only time the balls would come up before the end of an inning would be if I ran all the balls remaining on the table but still didn't make enough balls to make up a winning score. My owed balls would then be spotted and I would continue to shoot.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think the way it's supposed to be done, The owed balls are spotted at the end of an inning. If I owe 8 balls at the start of my inning and run 5 and then miss, Those 5 balls are spotted and I start my next inning with 3 balls still being owed. The only time the balls would come up before the end of an inning would be if I ran all the balls remaining on the table but still didn't make enough balls to make up a winning score. My owed balls would then be spotted and I would continue to shoot.

sliprock:

You are exactly correct! I tried my best to cover all details, but I missed this one. And it's an important one, too!

I don't play Long Count spots much at all; the folks I play One Pocket with are generally either the same speed as I, or perhaps a bit less or bit more. It's usually even-up, but if we *do* play with a handicap, it's always a Natural Count handicap.

Thanks for the clarification!
-Sean

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
This long count spotting is a bit confusing.

Please tell me if I have this correct:

The player with the long count handicap will spot his owed balls after every inning he makes balls UNTIL he owes no more. Ie. He brings the total # down to the natural count - the "natural count" being that which totals 16. So if the game handicap was set at 20-5, the long counter spots his potted balls until he's down to 11 more needed for the W.

Secondly, in event the long count player runs all balls off the table and still needs more, he spots all the balls he needs to win the game and proceeds with his inning.