Shipping A Cue With Ivory To Europe

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I did it once and the only way I would do it is if the buyer provided instructions on how they wanted me to send it and said that it would be their responsibility if it got stuck in customs. Everything went smoothly because I followed their instructions to the T.

I looked to see if I still had them but I was not able to find them, sorry. But it's best for the buyer to instruct you or I wouldn't do it.

Hope this helps,
Dave

batalarms

Ebony Hoppe Fanatic
I wouldn't do it.It's also very risky to buy a cue with ivory from overseas.I bought a couple cues from a seller in Singapore,and the cues were held up in customs in NY for around 2 weeks.I thought that I was going to lose my purchase.And when the cues arrived,they were only insured for $100.00 so that customs wouldn't be suspicious and they might think that the white material was plastic.It was 2 Paul Mottey cues with ivory joints and inlays,for $4000.00 Never again.
Marc

Last edited:

warfdiesel

Getting Better
Silver Member
I wouldn't do it.It's also very risky to buy a cue with ivory from overseas.I bought a couple cues from a seller in Singapore,and the cues were held up in customs in NY for around 2 weeks.I thought that I was going to lose my purchase.And when the cues arrived,they were only insured for $100.00 so that customs wouldn't be suspicious and they might think that the white material was plastic.It was 2 Paul Mottey cues with ivory joints and inlays,for $4000.00 Never again.
Marc

I had a similar experience, although not as expensive of a cue. I had a Leon Sly shipped to me from Canada. It had an ivory joint and ringwork. Same thing happened at customs. Worst part was when I got the cue 2 or 3 weeks later. It was warped to beat hell.

ivicafranic

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depend on where do you send the cue to.Depend on that specific country where an importer or buyer is.Sending it in Croatia there is no problem because of ivory.I bought a bunch of cues with ivory.There were a lot of them that had not just ivory ferulles but had ivory points and ivory inlays as well.
Just don't mention anywhere ivory and ask buyer if he/she wants to risk,so he/she takes responsibility.You can PM me if you want any more details.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depend on where do you send the cue to.Depend on that specific country where an importer or buyer is.Sending it in Croatia there is no problem because of ivory.I bought a bunch of cues with ivory.There were a lot of them that had not just ivory ferulles but had ivory points and ivory inlays as well.
Just don't mention anywhere ivory and ask buyer if he/she wants to risk,so he/she takes responsibility.You can PM me if you want any more details.
Hope this helps.

You need to read this:
http://www.cuemakers.org/aboutivory.php

AS it says you can not legally export a cue with Ivory in it, unless it is a hundred years old (antique) and you have a permit. Even then it can not be reworked in that 100 years.

Also I think it says getting caught exporting a ferulle is the same under the law as exporting a tusk.

So I wouldn't do it. Good luck