% Of Just League Players vs Gamblers

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing I have noticed is while it's a rarity, leaguers are much more likely to gamble with one another a lot more so than with " an outsider ". It's kinda like making sure to " keep the money in the family " but really it's probably from being scared.

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing I have noticed is while it's a rarity, leaguers are much more likely to gamble with one another a lot more so than with " an outsider ". It's kinda like making sure to " keep the money in the family " but really it's probably from being scared.

If everyone here is correct about the skill level of most league players--you hear terms like "banger" and worse all the time on here--then league players who refuse to play strangers just might be more smart than scared. Or maybe both.

Mrdodd72

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I enjoy tournaments the most, but tend to play better when I gamble on sets.

For the first twenty years I played I avoided leagues, and league players like the plague.

When I first started playing pool there was a large gulf between players(gamblers) and leagues. I would never even think to bring my cues into a bar, and if i played in a bar, it was usually just for beers. The juice just wasn't worth the squeeze.

But since I retired from the military it seems that the two groups tend to overlap much more; no doubt aided by the demise of large pool halls in the US.

Now, I tend to play in the local league whenever I relocate to a new area, mainly just to integrate myself into the local pool scene. Inevitably I can only stomach one, maybe two sessions before I bow out.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If everyone here is correct about the skill level of most league players--you hear terms like "banger" and worse all the time on here--then league players who refuse to play strangers just might be more smart than scared. Or maybe both.

Yeah but with all the pool halls closing where in the hell are the SHARKS supposed to find the FISH???

PS - who ever said a pool player was supposed to be smart? What is this world coming to?

Last edited:

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Out of every 100 people who play pool regularly in most locations I would guess that 70 to 80 of them are league players.

Of the ones left, most are aging out, which is why league play is so important. I think the player class are quickly becoming extinct.

I agree. Johnnyt

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree. Johnnyt

Truth be told Johnny honestly as I see it the player class is now in there 30'somewhere ( upper ) or 40's. We are the people that came up in the early 90's when action was still plentiful and we are the ones that got to watch it die out almost comoletely. The old timers were not the ones in action , we were! We ( 30 somethings are truly the last carriers of the torch.

cueenvy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Better be careful with that statement lol. I guess it depends on what you mean by " pure ". Does that mean players that only do league, never stepped foot in a pool hall, and would not bet water is wet if their life depended on it?

I do know people in our Masters league that whoever gave them that spot had better at least be pro level. Admittedly these folks would not fit into the " pure " description I listed above.

I give the 7 out and breaks to anybody who can't run 5 balls... it's funny how much weight even decent 9 foot table guys need. They give you 2 or 3 turns at the table. It's funny... I gave a decent A player here the 7 out, all the breaks and a game. I play 7 games to 6. He's never seen 4 games. He just does so much wrong... I would never think I could give him that kind of weight. When players are so far apart in skill it's amazing. I think I could beat him with the 6 out. But after that what is left to give?

cueenvy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Petrified ....I offer them the world and nothing. It's sad really . I walked out of the pool hall last week with 1400 cash and nobody even tried to take it! One guy I gamble with was busy, playing APA. Big pool is almost gone. Couple more years.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I give the 7 out and breaks to anybody who can't run 5 balls... it's funny how much weight even decent 9 foot table guys need. They give you 2 or 3 turns at the table. It's funny... I gave a decent A player here the 7 out, all the breaks and a game. I play 7 games to 6. He's never seen 4 games. He just does so much wrong... I would never think I could give him that kind of weight. When players are so far apart in skill it's amazing. I think I could beat him with the 6 out. But after that what is left to give?

I'm not doubting you as we all know skill designation varies wildly across the country but I can assure you that you probably would not want to do that out this way.

cueenvy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not doubting you as we all know skill designation varies wildly across the country but I can assure you that you probably would not want to do that out this way.

I play strong. ...just saying if you runout the weight you can give is alot.. I spot 90 percent of the players in tournaments. And it takes even more to get into their wallets.

I'll be at SBE with the widow wide open for any non pro/shortstops. I'll be the guy with a pile of quarters on the rail playing sets....no lie

NoStrokeAtAll

Registered
Defining gambling is simple. It's when you walk into a strange room 200 miles from home and play for $300 and only have $100 in your pocket. :)

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No interest in gambling, not much interest in leagues, just enjoy playing. The group I am currently playing with almost daily does not gamble and with one exception does not play in leagues. It is a senior bunch which may explain some of it.

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
It is a gamble to play in my XXX ( fill in x's yourself ) league. Fights, arrests and occasional shots fired on the parking lot

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What do you feel the % of league players vs gamblers here on AZB is? If they play both, count as gambler. Johnnyt

My guess is
Less than 50% league players
90% will claim they are big time gamblers but 5% really are. The other 85% are just "gambling" peanuts for monkeys :D

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
My guess is
Less than 50% league players
90% will claim they are big time gamblers but 5% really are. The other 85% are just "gambling" peanuts for monkeys :D

Big time gamblers die broke, plus most don't ever play with there own marbles. Johnnyt