Tell me about Mohawk cues

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just picked one up in an unlikely place. It plays and feels pretty good. Similar to a Southwest in ways. Any info?

Thanks

ADAM HENSON

---🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟--
Silver Member
I think they are around the same cue as a older Falcon, I'd love to see pics..

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just picked one up in an unlikely place. It plays and feels pretty good. Similar to a Southwest in ways. Any info?

Thanks

Years ago more then one was passed off as a SW. They would remove the logo. It is easy to tell the difference but they are looking for greddy suckers who thin they are getting a bargain. If I remember right they were not very expensive, under a $100.00. I bet if I look I have an original brochure around.

I found it lets see if my scanner worked

I was wrong about the price of course I paid like 50% so that is what I was thinking I guess. However those suggested prices for 1993 were not that cheap.

Attachments

• mhc.jpg
    mhc.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 2,347
  • mhc1.jpg
    mhc1.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 2,342
  • mhc3.jpg
    mhc3.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 2,384
Last edited:

efirkey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't tell you much about the Mohawk cue except that I have been shooting with one for 15+ years and that it plays great. I bought it for around $300.

I went to a tournament in Boston and Marty Herman came right up to me and knew that the cue was a Mohawk from 20 feet away. If you can contact him he should be able to fill you in on the details.

Are you looking to sell it? I would be interested.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't tell you much about the Mohawk cue except that I have been shooting with one for 15+ years and that it plays great. I bought it for around $300.

I went to a tournament in Boston and Marty Herman came right up to me and knew that the cue was a Mohawk from 20 feet away. If you can contact him he should be able to fill you in on the details.

Are you looking to sell it? I would be interested.

I'll have to pass on contacting Marty, but thank you for the help and suggestion. Sorry, the cue's not for sale.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks

They were cheap Taiwan "imports" that came through Canada - so they may well
have set the stage for Falcon.

Hot for a while in the 90s 'cause they looked like a SW.

A friendly of mine sold a dozen or two in his room - 90% of them warped way past
an acceptable level.

Dale

cueball1950

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
at 1 time i had 4 or 5 mohawks and somebody here on az asked about them... he wanted 1 so i shipped all of them to him...he was suppose to pick 1 out of the bunch and return the rest. never did get them back..... i was told once (i believe) that they evolved into falcon cues.... i am probably wrong but hey.... i am getting old..........mike

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ernie Cheng started falcon cues. I had one, it played nice but wasn't tapered like a sw. Mohawk cues didn't last too long. The pins are 3/8x10 flat bottom. Ernie tried his hand at cues a second time and with the help of Joss cues, Tyler cues was born. Out of those ashes Falcon was born. Great shaft wood on falcons. The missougua (?) Plant is where predator shafts and most of their butts where contracted to be built. Around 2006 or whenever the 314^2 first came out, I believe currency values caused the Canadian factory to close shop and relocate to China. I believe they are known as KPS. Mohawks are interesting cues, the 1st southwest knockoffs, but nothing special, imho. Older J&J cues are from the same factory. I'm still not 100% sure, but I believe Mohawks were made in Canada from foreign made blanks.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ernie Cheng started falcon cues. I had one, it played nice but wasn't tapered like a sw. Mohawk cues didn't last too long. The pins are 3/8x10 flat bottom. Ernie tried his hand at cues a second time and with the help of Joss cues, Tyler cues was born. Out of those ashes Falcon was born. Great shaft wood on falcons. The missougua (?) Plant is where predator shafts and most of their butts where contracted to be built. Around 2006 or whenever the 314^2 first came out, I believe currency values caused the Canadian factory to close shop and relocate to China. I believe they are known as KPS. Mohawks are interesting cues, the 1st southwest knockoffs, but nothing special, imho. Older J&J cues are from the same factory. I'm still not 100% sure, but I believe Mohawks were made in Canada from foreign made blanks.

Patrick,

I'm not 100% sure either, but my understanding was the "blanks" were like 99%
completed and they did some minor work in Canada so they would not be required
to label the cues as 'made in Taiwan'

Dale

efirkey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Years ago more then one was passed off as a SW. They would remove the logo. It is easy to tell the difference but they are looking for greddy suckers who thin they are getting a bargain. If I remember right they were not very expensive, under a $100.00. I bet if I look I have an original brochure around.

I was wrong about the price of course I paid like 50% so that is what I was thinking I guess. However those suggested prices for 1993 were not that cheap.

I have #11 and have had it for close to 20 years as my playing cue.

cuemaker03

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RedBowTies88

Registered
Don’t mean to bring back a zombie thread, but I was perusing EBay and found another Mohawk.

I’ve had one for a few years that my dad got from my grandfather. Interesting to see the company was based in NJ, not too far away. It’s got a good hit surprisingly, and I like the overall look/feel.

On mine the butt is pretty significantly warped, but the shaft is straight. Go figure.

Last edited:

Danktrees

RIP RS
Silver Member
Patrick,

I'm not 100% sure either, but my understanding was the "blanks" were like 99%
completed and they did some minor work in Canada so they would not be required
to label the cues as 'made in Taiwan'

Dale

since someone brought the thread back up i'll comment on this part. the cues were all made in canada. in the shop i still have unfinished predator cues that falcon made from scratch including a predator 4k7 and 4k2.

they did move to china years back and falcon as a brand still exists with the same owners. they also make the raid brand of low deflection cues.

as for their relationship with mohawk, i do not know for sure but falcon originated in 1991 so i dont think they have anything to do with mohawk given the fact that the mohawk brochure posted in this thread is from 1993.