Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Billiard and Pool History in the U.S.
Reload this Page The Kids Detroit Whitey (Eddie Beauchene) Sold

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
The Kids Detroit Whitey (Eddie Beauchene) Sold
Old
  (#1)
Pin
AzB Bronze Member
Pin is on a distinguished road

vCash: 500

The Kids Detroit Whitey (Eddie Beauchene) Sold - 05-17-2019, 06:42 AM

I'm currently reading 'The Encyclopedia of Pool Hustlers' by Freddy Bentivenga (The Beard).

One story he relates, in a manner that convinces me that he, at least, believes it to be true, is that Detroit Whitey sold his two children to black marketeers to finance a pool game he thought was a lock. He apparently lost the game and the children.

I'm slightly shook - the story has stayed in my head for a couple of days, because the worst case scenario of what could have happened to the guy's kids is pretty chilling. (The best case scenario is they were adopted by a decent parent who for whatever reason couldn't adopt by the legal route. But realistically?)

Was it ever known what happened to the kids?

Old
  (#2)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

05-17-2019, 07:04 AM

I feel the story about his kids is hyperbole...the tales just kept getting wilder.
I recall Whitey at the Rack in the late 70s....he had 5 top cues for sale...low prices.
...nobody would buy them...we figured he stole them off players.

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#3)
Pin
AzB Bronze Member

05-17-2019, 08:36 AM

I hope you're right!

Oh well, I suppose one way or another we know that awful things happen to some people...

Old
  (#4)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

05-17-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pin View Post
I hope you're right!

Oh well, I suppose one way or another we know that awful things happen to some people...
I never had anything to do with him....but Eddie Robin told about when Whitey was at a
tournament Down South...one of the players saw Whitey lowering a suitcase from a
second story hotel window to his old lady on the sidewalk...
...he calls “What are you doing, Whitey?”
Whitey says “Just checkin’ out.”

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#5)
Pin
AzB Bronze Member

05-18-2019, 02:38 PM

I've never been involved in any violent or criminal cultures, and if I was I'm sure I'd find it all very alarming. But reading Freddie's book you acclimatise to the comparatively minor stealing and fighting, which all looks harmless compared to the really nasty stuff. What's dodging your hotel bill when you've sold your own children to the mob, who'll do god knows what with them? What's stealing someone's money when you've been robbed at gunpoint or drugged?

I love the straightforward way he writes about it all too, you get an understanding of how somebody comfortable in that world thinks and feels about different types of actions, and it's eye-opening to get that honest, rational perspective from somebody who comes across as likeable and a good person.

Old
  (#6)
HawaiianEye
AzB Silver Member
HawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond repute

06-01-2019, 01:24 PM

Sounds to me like Whitey had a black heart.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: