The critics have been silenced...

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lately, I've seen a side of some on here that I wouldn't have believed to exist before.

I'm as old school (old fashioned) as ANY of you giys/gals.

Being old school "use to mean something".

Being "old school", use to mean you also had character, ethics and much more but, I guess there really is a shortage of "old school".

How about:

Get a camera and show us how many balls you can run??????

EXACTLY!

LOL

I will not hold my breath. Only thing you can run is your mouth!

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i tend to scroll through their posts knowing that the majority of them have had some kind of personal beef with mr 600

if the BCA says it's a world record than that puts the matter to rest. the argument that there needs to be an exhibition audience is just funny to me. there are no paying audiences for straight pool anno 2019. you would probably have to pay people to watch 4 hours of live straight pool these days. and i would rather watch a video than read an affidavit..

4pointer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
today social media is so popular , because you can post every bullshit you want , from your home pc or your smartphone , without any consequences !

i have a feeling that some people , their posting here are never played a game of straight pool .

keep in stroke everybody .

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i tend to scroll through their posts knowing that the majority of them have had some kind of personal beef with mr 600

if the BCA says it's a world record than that puts the matter to rest. the argument that there needs to be an exhibition audience is just funny to me. there are no paying audiences for straight pool anno 2019. you would probably have to pay people to watch 4 hours of live straight pool these days. and i would rather watch a video than read an affidavit..

I agree that once the BCA (and/or WPA?) say it’s a record, then it counts.

However ignoring all the stuff about tables etc (conditions change in all sports, if conditions had to be perfectly constant you’d have a million different records for virtually identical things) I think the exhibition argument is actually the best one.

Not so much because of the audience aspect, what bugs me is that the 526 was done against an opponent in an actual match (albeit not in ‘official’ tournament play), whereas for the 626 there was no opponent, so by definition it’s just ‘practice’.

I still expect the record to be ratified, but that aspect bugs me a little bit.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
None of it bugs me, either way.

I just don't call apples "oranges".

*astericks are made for such records.

I understand.

I've always knew that some on here were not what they claimed and could "never" back it up with video.

Just sayin.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, how about this:

My 156 run was done during a match with cash on the line.

Now, lol..... I have never been able to top that in practice.

Going by the "it was just practice"....etc...etc, I should be able to run ~200+ in practice since I ran 156 and three or four ~100 in actual match play.

The highest run I've ever put up during "practice" is 86....a few weeks ago.

Explain that Lucy?

I've ran more racks of 9-ball for money than I ever ran in practice.

In practice, you have nothing to lose but your concentration.

4pointer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
to all the "big mouth" pool players here on az .
run 100+ infront of a camera , put it on youtube and give us the link .
maybe than we can see , that you know what you talking about , to critizise 626 !!!

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Probably the biggest differences . . .

I see nothing wrong with accepting John's 626 as a high run record.

However, I don't compare it to Mosconi's 526.

Two completely different environments and sets of circumstances.

Tables - different

Equipment - different

Atmosphere - different

Time spent attempting a high run - different (as far as anything I've ever heard)

Looking at each run, some of the following things come to my mind:

- What has been John's TOTAL number of hours spent trying to run more than 526 compared to Willie's (which is unknown, or if he even spent much time trying)

- How many times did John clean the table and balls during the run compared to Willie's

- How many distractions did John have to put up with vs Willie's

- How many breaks did John take and for how long vs Willie

- John switched ends on the table to rack and play on

- John was MOTIVATED...he had a record he wanted to break

- Willie may have not been as motivated. There was no high record for him to concentrate on beating.

With that said, each record is a significant feat that bears respect and each of the players have pocketed a hell of a lot more balls in 14.1 than many people can claim.

Probably the biggest equipment differences were the balls and the temperature/humidity in the room. Paraphrasing john's own words, who saw his run, a potted plant in the corner? Eight people claim to have watched john's run which I read took four hours. Did anyone really watch the entire four hours? It doesn't matter for the record, but the humidity created by even forty people or so around a table is a lot different than no crowd. Typical fifties climate control was a lot different too. This is a record set in front of the potted plant in the corner and a video camera that didn't get bored with john's hundreds of false starts.

Today's balls play considerably better than sixties balls, I have to assume better than fifties balls too. I have played with those old balls but they weren't new then. Of course there is john's obsession with cleaning the balls constantly.

In the end these things don't really matter. Equipment changes and the records are still allowed. Pole vaulters would be nowhere near the height they are now with an old wooden pole. john has a record that very few care about. Shattering most sports records would garner world wide attention. Shattering the straight pool record gets a world wide yawn from those that noticed.

Running out a few sets in a major competition would be far more attention grabbing. One should translate to the other such as Willie's dominance in his day. It won't though. Perhaps that is one reason for the lack of attention. john wasn't a great player before the record, he won't be a great player afterwards.

Hu

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool players know EVERYTHING...didn't you know?

Naysayers and detractors are a pain in the ass....especially in this modern(?) era of know-it-alls about EVERYTHING.
Nobody made a peep about the track he ran on way back in 1954 when Roger Bannister broke the 4 minute mile, or the shoes he was wearing, or what kind of stopwatch was being used, or how many people signed an affidavit, or that the record was set in the UK instead of the USA "so it didn't really count", or that the sun was not at its meridian height that day, or this or that or this or that.
I was there when Hank Aaron broke Ruth's home run record and nobody whined about the bats being different from Ruth's era, or that it wasn't in Forbes Field where Ruth hit his last HR, or that Aaron was black and younger which gave him an "advantage"(?) or any of that other absurd crud.
But just leave it to a pack of pool playing know-it-alls to come up with all kinds of bull because their hero Mosconi's record got shot down.
My few experiences with Mosconi were pleasant and if he were alive today, I'd bet he'd be the first to walk up to Schmidt and say....."Ignore these fools, John, you broke my record and I congratulate you"
(then he'd probably get out his cue and try to set a new record himself)

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
Elvis died back in the 70s.

Are you just now getting the word?

1977. August, I think... I remember hearing it on the radio in the room and proceeded to fire a straight-in case-9ball dead into the rail! :eek:

Cost me 200 and I never got over it.

I hate Elvis...

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
1977. August, I think... I remember hearing it on the radio in the room and proceeded to fire a straight-in case-9ball dead into the rail! :eek:

I hate Elvis...

Ah...the old “Elvis made me do it” mmhmm...I’m on to you.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I hate Elvis...

August 16, 1977 to be exact.

I remember, exactly, where I was, too.

I was in the grocery line waiting to get to the register and get rung up.

Music was playing over their sound system from the radio. It was interrupted and they announced that Elvis had died.

I think the shock caused them to take longer than usual to bag me up.

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is the actual top 3 players holding down confirmed runs?????
1st John 626
2nd willie 526
3 ??????
4 ????

Not including johns multiple runs at it

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
What is the actual top 3 players holding down confirmed runs?????
1st John 626
2nd willie 526
3 ??????
4 ????

Not including johns multiple runs at it

An a 9 x 4 1/2 foot table, the next highest witnessed run would be Thomas Engert's 491, which occurred between 2000-05.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I'm happy the record was broken, it was way overdue and was a magnificent achievement.

However, people are reading way too much into this. This record in itself is not enough to declare him the greatest straightpooler ever, or whatever else the people are saying. Are you going to say the same when some nobody breaks this record in his basement? That could very well happen, you know. John isn't a nobody, he's a US Open winner, and a worthy future hall-of-famer in the light of his tournament performances, not this performance alone. High run records are, and always will be SideShows to tournament performances. That is how the world works.

This record should be celebrated, without going completely overboard. I look forward to seeing the run, as I'm excited to see a "clean" run as he himself put it. I love good pattern play.