Canadian Leagues too competitive?

AndyDandy75

Does anyone else find the two main leagues in Canada (TAP and CPA) too competitive for their taste?

I picked up the game of pool (8ball, 9ball, cutthroat) during college and then took a 17yr break to start a career, family, etc.
I've recently got back into playing again on a regular basis. Even tracked down the old codger who ran the league at the college watering hole back in my school days.

He ran a friendly league once a week where you showed up, paid your money and played a frame against everyone else who showed up in your skill range. He used the old BCA 10 point scoring system and matched everyone on either the A, B, or C table based on their scoring average. Rather than throw most of the money into a pot to be won at the end of the season, he'd treat us to a proper sit-down meal and raffle off prizes he'd buy with the money instead. Everybody got something.

Recently, I have tried both TAP and CPA here in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada as they seem to be the ones with the marketing and tech behind them. I found that they both are fixated on shooting only the high percentage shots, and playing defense until someone screws up to maximize the chance of a winning the frame. Win enough frames to win the match to contribute to your team. Win win win because ultimately you are playing for a trip to Las Vegas to play in the national tourney.

While some people like that level of competitiveness, I've always played pool as an escape from the stress of schoolwork and work.
They talk down about my college pool experience as amateur-ish and theirs is 'the' way to improve my game.
With family and career, I have precious few hours during the week to play pool. Should I not be doing it in a manner that I enjoy?
Is this the face of Canadian pool?
Anyone else care to comment?
or recommend a care-free league in the TriCities area?

p.s. I'm currently investigating the WCRPL - Waterloo County Recreational Pool League and the CCSA - Canadian Cue Sports Assoc. league.
Apparently I haven't seen enough winters to play in the over 55 snooker league :wink:
I'll report back on my experiences.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
I think the bigger leagues will tend to trend towards a more competitive atmosphere given the potential trips and opportunities to qualify for bigger events. That's not necessarily true everywhere since I often hear complaints about CPA/APA being too casual, so I suppose it depends where you are and what you are looking for.

I don't know Waterloo at all so I don't know what rooms are available. But check to see if there is league that has different divisions. Some bigger leagues have a recreational division. Alternatively, if you don't mind the bar scene, some bars will have leagues set up around their couple of tables and those tend to be a more relaxed atmosphere.

There are different scenes out there, it's just about finding the right ones for you. I have seen all types over the years.

AndyDandy75

I'm currently playing in the Waterloo county rec pool league. They play out of bars of all manner. The challenge of a new playing surface every week of kinda fun and is great table talk.
CCSA does not have a summer session in my area but some of the regulars meet every week to play for a small kitty.

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Silver Member
Hello !

All the leagues that play for money are going to be competitive to some degree. There are some that are higher level players, and playing in them can be quite frustrating.

I play out of Hamilton, and the main hall I play is in Stoney Creek, called On the Snap. the BCA leagues there are inhouse leagues, and promote the game. In our area and surrounding cities, there is the Ontario Pool Players League. It is a handicap based league, based on the 10 point BCA scoring. they will take over a hall for the night, and at the end of the session, the top teams from the surrounding cities play against each other. All the rest are provided a tournament for them to with prizes as well.

In our area, the OPPL is probably the most family friendly, and team based. it is open to new and advance players alike. I use that night as a means to just smack some balls around, and have fun. While you still get teams that are "super teams" all top level players, mostly in our area it is a good spread, and the better players help the lower level players on the game. My team is my wife, father in law, and son (early 20s) of one of the other regulars. I would never recommend to my wife to play in CPA, but for a fun night out, the OPPL is a good alternative.

Don't get me wrong, you will find some competitive people in OPPL. But will find it a little more relaxed as well.

Alternatively, other than league play, I meet up on weekends with some regulars at the hall, and we play semi-serious pool. Perhaps that is something you might think about, find a good hall with good folks, and just schedule time to play without the competitive league aspect. I do that every weekend, I prefer the lack of extreme competition myself. I don't like tournaments because i find the time between games is too long, and I personally only have so much free time and would rather be at the table playing than waiting for my net match to be called.

Cheers,
Mike.