Chicago player

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...just a quick check-in to say how much I've enjoyed this thread so far
I wasn't even alive when most of y'all were buckin', but it's super cool
to read about those old days and players, from those that were actually there
a big reason why I love azb. cheers guys!

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If any type of player came to Chi-town to play, 1 pocket, Banks, 3 cushion and maybe even straight pool and 9 ball on a 5x10, it would be almost impossible for a road player to get a win there! We had all the bases covered!

lol, I rest my case.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought it was common knowledge that Artie was one of the best ever,and certianly the smartest
one pocket player of his time

now that he hasn't hit a ball in 9 more years,perhaps Lou would like to play

i feel confident he could get action for $25000

I can't play a lick -- just ask RJ.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That match lasted over 16 hours. I would not watch it myself, and I played in it.:grin:

I do disagree with you about Artie’s speed. I have known RA since the last 50’s and the best one pocket player in the world did not want any when he went to Chicago without getting what he considered some kind of edge.

Artie used to visit us at the race book in Las Vegas when we were there, and believe me, there was considerable mutual respect, and Ronnie did not have much of that for too many people and their pool game.

Fair enough, John.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He barely had the balls to step to the table against JB, no chance he will step to the table against a champ, even 25 years past his prime. Not even betting his own money.

Yeah, I met Lou up close and personal, and he was nervous then as he thought I was going to beat him in the parking lot. But, now that he's a safe distance away, he can talk smack again.

This was his chance to kick Freddy after he died. He's been wanting to do it for awhile. And now he got his chance, and he already brought his name up. No biggie, it's what cowards do.

I was not a huge fan of SJD, but I"m not kicking the guy after he died. And when folks start threads about SJD I never once went in there to mouth off about him. I won't say a negative word about the man, he's dead and can't defend himself. May he rest in peace. What would be the point. And I certainly don't jump in other threads in hopes to knock SJD. I don't do it, because quite frankly it would be a pathetic nit move.

Lou likes to try and steam roll folks here. In person, NOT a peep. LMAO

lol, once again: I didn't know who you were, barely know that you sell chalk on AZ, so why I would be worried or care about you is beyond me.

Frankly, I'm not sure I would recognize you now. Do have a really big nose? That's all I might remember about you. And all I've said about Freddy is that he liked to toot his own horn. That's not a knock because NOBODY is going to deny that is the absolute stone cold truth.

And basically your argument about talking about Freddy or SJD because they are dead is totally bogus. We talk about dead players, and living players, here all the time from how Greenleaf was a drunk, Mosconi a prima donna, and others bite artists, drug users, con men, pimps, wife beaters, sellers of fake Rolexes, and how some would dump their mothers. One guy was so universally hated that someone at his home room put his picture in one of the pool room urinals so all could express their opinion of him at their leisure.

The only reason you’re getting so high and holy is because (surprise) Freddy was from (guess where) Chicago.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
He barely had the balls to step to the table against JB, no chance he will step to the table against a champ, even 25 years past his prime. Not even betting his own money.

Yeah, I met Lou up close and personal, and he was nervous then as he thought I was going to beat him in the parking lot. But, now that he's a safe distance away, he can talk smack again.

This was his chance to kick Freddy after he died. He's been wanting to do it for awhile. And now he got his chance, and he already brought his name up. No biggie, it's what cowards do.

I was not a huge fan of SJD, but I"m not kicking the guy after he died. And when folks start threads about SJD I never once went in there to mouth off about him. I won't say a negative word about the man, he's dead and can't defend himself. May he rest in peace. What would be the point. And I certainly don't jump in other threads in hopes to knock SJD. I don't do it, because quite frankly it would be a pathetic nit move.

Lou likes to try and steam roll folks here. In person, NOT a peep. LMAO

Talk about hitting the, 'nit', I mean nail on the head! Good job Robert!

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
I remember watching Ali spar as a kid, in the 80’s after his fight with Berbick....always wondered how good he really was 🤔

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Matt, I was fortunate enough to take lessons from all three champions I mentioned.

In each case it was wonderful to watch them execute.

Lou Figueroa
and the stories
they told!

That's fantastic. I was able to take lessons from Mike Sigel and Jimmy Reid. Mike is in my top 5 of favorite all-time players so I did it more for the stories than instruction, and I got my money's worth. I really enjoyed it. This was during a time he was getting back to playing and competing around the Northern VA/MD area and he was hitting them really well. Jimmy Reid was a phenomenal instructor. I went to his house in Nashville, and somewhere I have hours of footage that he took of our lesson.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Robert, Lou has NO idea of what he speaks! He has second hand and third hand info at best! ONLY people who actually saw Artie play in his prime can appreciate how he ground TOP players into minced meat! That's right, ground them down! To where they didn't even know what pocket was their's!

Nick stopped in Chicago, 2 weeks before, on his way to NYC. He played Artie at the Northshore for $50 a game, He beat Artie 17 in a row. Artie told to come back from NYC and bet $5,000. The day/night Nick beat Artie 17 in a line, after the match AB, Freddy Race track Phil and I went to eat. The first words out of Artie's mouth when asked why not quit, he said, "He don't know the first thing about 1 pocket!" BTW I lost $650 that time betting on Artie!

What he finally did to Nick at the Northshore was epic! And this was one week after Nick had won the World Championship in NYC! Nick was the, 'student' in that match with Artie! Nick had come back with his father, his father begged him to quit Artie, Nick wouldn't! He said, "I can't quit, I'm learning too much!"[[/I The were playing for $300 a game.]/SIZE]

Great story. I asked Nick about this years ago on the phone....and I don't remember his exact answer, but I know it didn't seem to conflict with this. He did say, at that time, when he won his first Worlds, that he wasn't missing anything he aimed at (he said this in a very humble, matter of fact way). I imagine in their first encounter he was just going for all offense and wasn't missing (regardless of whether the actual shot selection was correct or not). The very first time I ever saw One Pocket played, was by Nick Varner at JOBs in Nashville (1994'ish). At the time, I was like "what are they playing?"....and that was it for me.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m not knocking, in fact I enjoyed reading many of Artie’s posts for the couple of years he was active at onepocket.org 10 or 15 years ago. I was a baby in his prime.

But I recall when Freddie told the story of Varner vs Artie either on this or the onepocket forum, or in one of his books, that Artie was getting 11-7.

Is that true? If so, is it relevant to the nick/Artie story?

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
I’m not knocking, in fact I enjoyed reading many of Artie’s posts for the couple of years he was active at onepocket.org 10 or 15 years ago. I was a baby in his prime.

But I recall when Freddie told the story of Varner vs Artie either on this or the onepocket forum, or in one of his books, that Artie was getting 11-7.

Is that true? If so, is it relevant to the nick/Artie story?

They played DEAD EVEN! Artie could have won, 'left-handed' at 11-7!

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
lol, once again: I didn't know who you were, barely know that you sell chalk on AZ, so why I would be worried or care about you is beyond me.

Frankly, I'm not sure I would recognize you now. Do have a really big nose? That's all I might remember about you. And all I've said about Freddy is that he liked to toot his own horn. That's not a knock because NOBODY is going to deny that is the absolute stone cold truth.

Lou Figueroa

Oh, bs, you just want to chime in on Freddy any chance you get. He's dead and you still can't let it go. Except that is NOT what you only say about Freddy, but now suddenly, it's the only thing you say is he toots his own horn. Really, welcome to the pool world, are you new here?

Oh, you knew who I was. And you mentioned how isn't great how folks can argue on the internet and just talk when they see each other. Which, I suspect you wanted to keep it as friendly as possible and why you had diarrhea of the mouth. My god, do you always talk that much or only when you're nervous?

But sure, you didn't know me, but remembered we argued on the internet. How special. And I'm sure you talk about your failing body parts for an hour to lots of folks you don't know. Keep repeating you didn't know, I'm sure someone believes you. Did Gail check your shorts when you got home, lol

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh, bs, you just want to chime in on Freddy any chance you get. He's dead and you still can't let it go. Except that is NOT what you only say about Freddy, but now suddenly, it's the only thing you say is he toots his own horn. Really, welcome to the pool world, are you new here?

Oh, you knew who I was. And you mentioned how isn't great how folks can argue on the internet and just talk when they see each other. Which, I suspect you wanted to keep it as friendly as possible and why you had diarrhea of the mouth. My god, do you always talk that much or only when you're nervous?

But sure, you didn't know me, but remembered we argued on the internet. How special. And I'm sure you talk about your failing body parts for an hour to lots of folks you don't know. Keep repeating you didn't know, I'm sure someone believes you. Did Gail check your shorts when you got home, lol

RJ, I really don’t know who you are, nor do I care. I barely remember talking to you at all. Neither does Gail when I asked her.

I have no idea what your malfunction is. However, it has become self evident to me that you are ****ing nuts. In all my time on the internet *I have never said that to anyone.* Not even JB who is crazy as a loon.

The closest approximation for what you’ve been writing and your allusions to violence would be a guy on RSB who, 25 years ago, was some kind of disaffected TV weatherman, and lived and played pool in his mother’s basement. He threaten to shoot me. He’s dead now.

Just for the record, my disagreements with Freddy were two-fold: I didn’t believe a dog could count change (Clever Hans Effect), nor that a different grip could change CB behavior (any number of Dr. Dave citations). Freddy, being the sensitive soul he was, couldn't stand that. Before that we got along great and other than his ego sucking all the air out of the room the second he walked in, we were fine. I intend to use something he said to me once in my forthcoming book.

I have had a several friends contact me to say you’ll be in Memphis for a tournament there. I’m signed up too, a friend organizing the tournament having signed me up without my knowledge or consent. I am going to try and make it, though Gail is experiencing some medical woes that may or may not lead me to change plans.

If I don’t show it will have nothing to do with you.

If I do make it — huge schnoz, right? — I will try and find you, shake your hand and buy you a beer. I am smart enough to differentiate between the interweb and real life. Regardless, I am now putting you into my looney bin. NO ONE, not ever, not even close, whose posts I’ve ever read, deserves being shot into the ether more than you.

Don't know who you are. Don't remember your posts. Couldn't pick you out of a line up (big honker, right?). Couldn't possibly be scared. And I dan't care. You remind me of the Glenn Close character in Fatal Attraction. Boiled any bunnies lately?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzbVn9Xx3YM

Ta ta.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
RJ, I really don’t know who you are, nor do I care.

I have no idea what your malfunction is. However, it has become self evident to me that you are ****ing nuts. In all my time on the internet *I have never said that to anyone.* Not even JB who is crazy as a loon.

The closest approximation for what you’ve been writing and your allusions to violence would be a guy on RSB who, 25 years ago, was some kind of disaffected TV weatherman, and lived and played pool in his mother’s basement. He threaten to shoot me. He’s dead now.

Just for the record, my disagreements with Freddy were two-fold: I didn’t believe a dog could count change (Clever Hans Effect), nor that a different grip could change CB behavior (any number of Dr. Dave citations). Freddy, being the sensitive soul he was, couldn't stand that. Before that we got along great and other than his ego sucking all the air out of the room the second he walked in, we were fine. I intend to use something he said to me once in my forthcoming book.

I have had a several friends contact me to say you’ll be in Memphis for a tournament there. I’m signed up too, a friend organizing the tournament having signed me up without my knowledge or consent. I am going to try and make it, though Gail is experiencing some medical woes that may or may not lead me to change plans.

If I don’t show it will have nothing to do with you.

If I do make it — huge schnoz, right? — I will try and find you, shake your hand and buy you a beer. I am smart enough to differentiate between the interweb and real life. Regardless, I am now putting you into my looney bin. NO ONE, not ever, not even close, whose posts I’ve ever read, deserves being shot into the ether more than you.

Don't know who you are. Don't remember your posts. Couldn't pick you out of line up (big honker, right?). Couldn't possibly be scared. And I dan't care. You remind me of the Glenn Close character in Fatal Attraction. Boiled any bunnies lately?

Ta ta.

Lou Figueroa

When and where is the tourney in memphis?

Thanks in advance, adam

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I traveled all around back in the day and knew pretty much all the noteworthy pool players, including the hustlers. I never saw Artie play in his prime even though I was in Chicago a few times. I played some pool with George Michaels, Joey Gold and Tommy Spencer (he was the best of the three). One time I was with Danny Medina and he played Freddie some Banks for 500 a game (big money in the 80's). It went back and forth but Danny (and I) escaped with the cash. Danny played high speed Banks and they played even, so Freddie could definitely play. I did pretty good that same night playing $50 short rack Banks with Freddie's backer.

I already knew about Freddie from his days in California. I took him to some of the black poolrooms where the best Bankers hung out. He played everybody and held his own. They loved him too! As far as Artie was concerned his rep was that he was unbeatable at Bensingers and had played some of the best One Pocket players in the country. I never knew if he played Steve Cook, whose game I really liked.

As for Ronnie, he was a money maker at pool and was careful about who he played. I suspect he knew that if he beat Artie his action would be dead. He preferred to play lesser (but good) players and give up weight. I saw him play a thousand times and never saw him play even. He regularly gave up 9-6, 9-7 to very good players and 10-8, 9-8 to even better players. He would also play strong players getting the break with Ronnie playing up-in-the-air and they played normally. He would also take some small weight (maybe only the break) and play with a shaft. You had to see it to believe it.

Just like Artie, Ronnie knew how to win. I only saw him lose to Marvin Henderson (who refused to give him a rematch) and to San Jose Dick giving up 10-8 and 8-7. For those that don't know, Dick could play! Ronnie and him went back and forth several times. I do know that Ronnie practiced with Jack Cooney to get ready for his $20,000 match with Danny Diliberto. They played 50 a game for a few days and Ronnie was ready.

P.S. mr3cushion on here was one of the two best money players in the country at Billiards, along with Al Gold on the West Coast.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I traveled all around back in the day and knew pretty much all the noteworthy pool players, including the hustlers. I never saw Artie play in his prime even though I was in Chicago a few times. I played some pool with George Michaels, Joey Gold and Tommy Spencer (he was the best of the three). One time I was with Danny Medina and he played Freddie some Banks for 500 a game (big money in the 80's). It went back and forth but Danny (and I) escaped with the cash. Danny played high speed Banks and they played even, so Freddie could definitely play. I did pretty good that same night playing $50 Banks with Freddie's backer.

I already knew about Freddie from his days in California. I took him to some of the black poolrooms where the best Bankers hung out. He played everybody and held his own. They loved him too! As far as Artie was concerned his rep was that he was unbeatable at Bensingers and had played some of the best One Pocket players in the country. I never knew if he played Steve Cook, whose game I really liked.

As for Ronnie, he was a money maker at pool and was careful about who he played. I suspect he knew that if he beat Artie his action would be dead. He preferred to play lesser (but good) players and give up weight. I saw him play a thousand times and never saw him play even. He regularly gave up 9-6, 9-7 to very good players and 10-8, 9-8 to even better players. He would also play strong players getting the break with Ronnie playing up-in-the-air and they played normally. He would also take some small weight (maybe only the break) and play with a shaft. You had to see it to believe it.

Just like Artie, Ronnie knew how to win. I only saw him lose to Marvin Henderson (who refused to give him a rematch) and to San Jose Dick giving up 10-8 and 8-7. For those that don't know, Dick could play! Ronnie and him went back and forth several times. I do know that Ronnie practiced with Jack Cooney to get ready for his $20,000 match with Danny Diliberto. They played 50 a game for a few days and Ronnie was ready.

Deleted - Already posted above.

Last edited:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
RJ, I really don’t know who you are, nor do I care. I barely remember talking to you at all. Neither does Gail when I asked her.

Ta ta.

Lou Figueroa

WOW, after that dribble, you want to talk about "insane". Someone, it appears, woke up on the wrong side of his couch today. LOL. The "greasy" looking couch potato wants to talk about looks, now that's funny. Keep them coming. That's how I know you're on tilt. The face only a mother could love, and apparently Gail for some odd reason :p

Awwww, now that someone goes toe to toe with you on the internet, suddenly I must be insane. No worries, my mother had me tested ;) lol. Your mad because I hinted you were bit of a coward about going under the knife for possible knee surgery, that you actually didn't even need. Ummmm, mkay.
Allusions to violence? I had none. Just how nervous you were when we met I found quite amusing as did others at the room. But, I don't know if you drink, take drugs, or just wired differently, so really can't say? But, as crazy as JB? Moi? I only wish, he's a marketing genius with his "idiosyncrasies", shall we say :)

There was no other reason for you to run your mouth for an hour over your knee to someone you claim you never heard of, was there? Do I care if you remember me? Why would I? I could not run fast enough to get away from you the first time. It was brutal. So, maybe you were not nervous, maybe you just don't know when to shut up? Trust me, if I see your greasy mug in a pool room, I'll be the last guy in the world that approaches you. Once was, indeed, enough. I don't hit idiots from the internet, I don't have enough chalk in the world to pay all those claims ;) lol

Well, I leave for Europe tomorrow, but unlike you, I don't travel the world and then make time to come on AZB to bash folks. I'll have better things to do.
But, get at least one more post in this thread, I sell a lot of chalk when I post this much in the MF. Those fuggers in NPR are cheap SOB's, LOL

Ta Ta Fredo.

Last edited:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I traveled all around back in the day and knew pretty much all the noteworthy pool players, including the hustlers. I never saw Artie play in his prime even though I was in Chicago a few times. I played some pool with George Michaels, Joey Gold and Tommy Spencer (he was the best of the three).

Wow, I'm glad someone else knows Tommy Spencer. He was such a great player, but another player that is not really known. He gave some lessons when his game starting breaking down. I'm not sure if it was drugs or alcohol, but he died pretty young... 50 or so ? Not even sure but he was a 9 ball stone cold killer :)

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Talk about hitting the, 'nit', I mean nail on the head! Good job Robert!

C'mon Billy, have not you heard the news, I'm "insane" for daring to argue with the great and powerful pool playing machine known as Fredo Figuero. You know, the guy that took down JB in a game of 1P ;) Watch yourself, or he will come for you next :eek: