Cues with a similar hit to Sugartree

JohnnyShakes

Hill/Hill w/ 1 ball ghost
Silver Member
I bought a Sugartree new from Eric 3 or 4 years ago, and I fell in love with it. I like everything about it- the quality of the wood, the way it is balanced, the way it feels when I hold it, and the nice, solid feel when I hit a ball with it. It's been my main player ever since, and I don't really see that changing. However, as seems to be inevitable, the Cue bug has bit me again, and I'm jonesing to buy a new cue. If Eric were still building cues, I'd get on a waiting list, but he's not, so I come seeking wisdom from the AZ community.

What, in your opinion, is a cue with a similar hit to a Sugartree? I've heard that Tads have a very stiff hit, but even though I'm in SoCal, I must not be running in the right circles, because I don't know anyone who has one. I've hit with a few Ginas, but they were a little too soft for my taste. Probably a little out of my price range, too. I'm looking for something I can order new, to my specs.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Johnny

Jive

Professional Racker
Silver Member
I bought a Sugartree new from Eric 3 or 4 years ago, and I fell in love with it. I like everything about it- the quality of the wood, the way it is balanced, the way it feels when I hold it, and the nice, solid feel when I hit a ball with it. It's been my main player ever since, and I don't really see that changing. However, as seems to be inevitable, the Cue bug has bit me again, and I'm jonesing to buy a new cue. If Eric were still building cues, I'd get on a waiting list, but he's not, so I come seeking wisdom from the AZ community.

What, in your opinion, is a cue with a similar hit to a Sugartree? I've heard that Tads have a very stiff hit, but even though I'm in SoCal, I must not be running in the right circles, because I don't know anyone who has one. I've hit with a few Ginas, but they were a little too soft for my taste. Probably a little out of my price range, too. I'm looking for something I can order new, to my specs.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Johnny

Gonna be tough looking....I have a few STs and i know what u mean..Why don't you try looking for ST's on the for sale section? I'm sure you'll find some available.

You should give Barenbrugge a try too, beautiful cues and they don't hit soft and not too stiff either. What's your budget anyways?

JohnnyShakes

Silver Member
My budget is relatively flexible. I'd rather pay more for a cue that I really enjoy than get a great deal on a cue that I'm not crazy about. I have enough of those cues already. But since the question has been asked several times, I'd prefer to keep it under $2k. I like plain Jane cues. I can admire the intricate, multi point cues with hundreds of inlays, but I don't want to pay for one. I really am just looking to order a new cue that has a similar hit to a Sugartree.

Thanks for the responses so far.

Johnny

Randy9Ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try Wes Hunter of Hunter Classics cues. He was a mentor to Eric and they shared shaft wood. You can't go wrong with one of his cues.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
I, too, really like the hit of the Sugartrees I've had.

Firm, stiff, pingers, that move whitey effortlessly.

I have three sugestions for you:

Jeff Olney, Jeff Olney, and Jeff Olney.

His phenolic super-tight half joints with a 3/8 10 pin, and for good measure, if ordering, specify that you want a stiff hitter.

And they are way within your budget. :cool:

geez, as I'm typing this I'm realizing, I think he has a waiting list time in years... :embarrassed2:

best,
brian kc

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what's your Budget,
I really have a new BIG one, Macassar with Hickory Burl

I have seen and played with Tattoos cue (im in germany right now) thats the best SugarTree I have seen-looks the best and plays the best, I own 2 of them and its better than either of mine. Its 99.9995% brand new cant have more than 2-3 hours play time on it if that. I can vouch 100% for Ralf and that cue!

best
Eric

PS: some softer hitting SW's are kinda similar to Eric's cues, Gina cues are not at all like them.

JohnnyShakes

Silver Member
I forgot to mention, I prefer wrapless cues, unless the wrap is sealed. I'm a bit of a head case from time to time, and the difference in texture will occasionally get in my head.

Ralf- do you have pics, and how much are you looking for? You can PM me if you prefer. :

Randy- I'll check out Hunter cues.

Brian- any idea how long the wait is for Olney? Sometimes being on the waiting list is good enough to keep the worst of the symptoms at bay.

DJKeys- if the PM you sent was intended for me, I have not received it.

Thank you all for your helpful suggestions. Keep em coming.

Johnny

DJKeys

Sound Design
Silver Member
PM Sent

Johnny-

Sent PM again, double checked this time. Please let me know you received it.

Thanks-

-dj

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member
Mr Shakes,

I'll be selling a couple of my Tads in the near future. You are welcome to try them out, I am in Orange County too. Both are pretty much what you have described and both have been recently refinished by the Tad shop. BTW, it's really difficult to get Tad or Fred to build a custom one for you. PM me if you are interested in these.

JohnnyShakes

Silver Member
Mr Shakes,

I'll be selling a couple of my Tads in the near future. You are welcome to try them out, I am in Orange County too. Both are pretty much what you have described and both have been recently refinished by the Tad shop. BTW, it's really difficult to get Tad or Fred to build a custom one for you. PM me if you are interested in these.

No need to be formal. Call me Johnny. Mr. Shakes is my father.

PM sent.

JohnnyShakes

Silver Member
I have responded to all PMs.

Thanks again. I've got a lot more makers to consider now than I did before.

Johnny

luan.vo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thought on Judd Fuller Cue

hi, is anyone playing with a Judd Fuller right now? and how do you like it? i noticed that Efren once played with a Judd as well.

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
You owe it to your self to try a Starkey cue. Chuck will take it back if you don't like it and don't hurt it. He's a great guy who will build you a great cue.

JohnnyShakes

Silver Member
Thanks to everyone who responded. Looks like I'll have a lot of cues to try to test hit out at BCA Nationals. And thanks to everyone who sent me PMs. I tried to respond to all of them.

Johnny