After a Loss - Thoughts and Ideas

BarTableMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's your best "self pick me up" after a tough loss? What regroups your thoughts back into competition after losing a tough match? I try to remind myself that the process is what counts and that learning comes from losing. I rarely learn after a big win. (BUT THE PAIN OF THE LOSS! OUCH!)

blbarnett03

Registered
Just me!

I loose alot here lately and somehow find the passion to go on by studying my critical shots that i missed. For me i try to practice today what tomorrow may bring! What i missed that was game changing! Hope this hrlps! If not the previous guy was right. Alcohol works great with ptsd and anxiety!!!

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rex Grossman short term memory ,, forget about it rehashing negitive things produces more negative results ,wipe that slate clean, instead focus on practicing your fundementals and get up and do it again and again ,,

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
What's your best "self pick me up" after a tough loss? What regroups your thoughts back into competition after losing a tough match? I try to remind myself that the process is what counts and that learning comes from losing. I rarely learn after a big win. (BUT THE PAIN OF THE LOSS! OUCH!)

Korean proverb....

"When your house burns down....search for nails."

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Canadian Proverb.

When your house burns down, get in touch with your insurance company and
make a claim for a bunch of stuff that you never owned.

I was a huge collector of Balabushka cues. I had 10, no 15. Thats the ticket.

JDB

Idiot Savant
Silver Member

Great question; I just play the match in my mind and think about the game changing shots and what I could have done differently.

After I have done that, I let it go and focus on my next upcoming match and try to get the negativity out of my my mind.

It is not easy though.

I kind of do the same thing with a big win. I think about the different runouts that I had during the game. The only difference is that I don't try to let it go...lol.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
But I agree. Tourney play and going into your next game is not a time to dwell on the negative. Clear your mind and get on with it.

Lots of time after to review your mistakes.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Canadian Proverb.

When your house burns down, get in touch with your insurance company and
make a claim for a bunch of stuff that you never owned.

I was a huge collector of Balabushka cues. I had 10, no 15. Thats the ticket.

Okay, buddy...( he says with one foot on the keyboard and a note pad on
his knee ) "What was Balabuska's first name?....Harold????:rolleyes:....
...that's it, you're busted!....you can bribe your way out of this by cleaning
my cue....and putting on a milk dud tip...none of that powdered stuff
either.":mad:

JDB

Idiot Savant
Silver Member
But I agree. Tourney play and going into your next game is not a time to dwell on the negative. Clear your mind and get on with it.

Lots of time after to review your mistakes.

Good point, I was thinking after being done for the game/tournament.

In the middle of a tournament you just need to find a way to let it go as soon as possible and not think about it.

You must remain positive going into your next match in a tournament and not even think about the last loss.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I might have made a mistake officer. I think those cues were made in Romania.

I think they are Walawushkas.

LAlouie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

`````````````````
Sex

JimmyWhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After a defeat I usually don't play pool for a couple of days. (I play every day regularly) I would go out, catch a movie, play some basketball or whatever.

Well, I developed a mindset that has helped me with the... "post-loss-depression". Just say to yourself that even if you win or lose, your life is going to be the same sh1t so it doesn't really matter what you do at the pool table. :p

You are not your pool stroke. You are...you.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
attitude

It's really simple if not easy, all a matter of attitude. I know I am a winner. If I lose every pool match I ever play for the rest of my life I'll still be a winner overall. When I lose that is the exception, not a big deal. Nobody wins them all. I'll be minorly annoyed with myself if I lost due to multiple stupid mistakes but even that is just a bad day, it isn't the norm.

"Not the norm" is how I deal with any loss at anything. The last thing I learned to do in a tourney type setting was competitive benchrest. This is a lifetime hobby like pool and smarts count even more. I shot against some guys that had been shooting regularly for 20-40 years, some that had never had another hobby! Aside from the entry fee there was a cash option at most events. The cash option pays out about like a Calcutta and I think is a better deal in some ways. It and a Calcutta could actually be ran together. From my first event I always bought into the cash option. I knew I didn't have a snowball's chance in hell of cashing in those early events but when I started cashing I wanted people to remember I had always bought in. I was paying my dues for when it was my time to win. Something to note, when it was my time to win. Never any doubt in my mind that I was going to win my share and then some. Knowing that you are a winner no matter how you play today, this week, this month, is core to brushing off losses.

First, you win in your mind. Might have been a book by that title, if not there should be one. When you look at things long term a loss is no more than a missed shot or missed shape. Don't give it more weight than it deserves.

Hu

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
To add to Hu's post, I had a psychologist tell me that when that happens, say to yourself: "That's not like me (to lose)"

"That's not like me."

It reinforces your belief in your game as allows you to move on.

fwiw,

Jeff Livingston

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
For me, it depends on the way I lost. If I played reasonably well, and my opponent beat me, I shrug it off, try to remember the shots i made the mistakes on, and move on.

If I played poorly, I will be annoyed and disappointed with myself. This one will for longer to get over. Beer helps :p

TomHay

Best Tips For Less
Gold Member
Silver Member
You can't win everytime. A loss is a lesson. You don't dwell on the losing but pratice and focus on the things you need to correct to win.

You shake the winners hand.

To live the loss can be hard so it is easier to let it go rather than let it overpower you.

Jodacus

Shoot...don't talk
Silver Member
After a loss

I immediately work on the shots and/or
situations I feel I could have handled
better. I have to practice until I know I
have improved something, even if it's
just my ability to asses the lay of the
balls. When this happens my confidence
is restored and I'm ready to play
again because now I know I'm a
better player.

Where's the guy that beat me???

Even if I got really pounded. I go and
seriously practice, kinda like "running
it off".

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Tough loss?

I agree w/ ShootingArts for the most part, but... I don't think one should just shrugg it off or @ least I know I can't. Firstly U have to know the difference between losing & getting beat. I can't stand losing. I HATE losing. I can stand getting beat. In fact I have to admire the shooting that was done to 'beat' me. Now as for losing, I know what I did or did not do that caused me to lose. I have to address it, @ least in my mind, in order to let it go. I have to 'know' that I've learned & corrected that issue so it should not happen again & hence will not cause me to lose again. Someone else said they stay away from pool for awhile. To each his own, but I disagree. I know some who will even quit in the middle of a match if they are playing badly. I won't do that. I want to & will play thru it til my game comes back. Usually it comes done to 'feel'. When a good player is not playing well I think that a lack of feel is the reason & the only way I know of to get it back is by playing. When it does come back, play the person U lost to & beat him. Get the apprehension out of the way & gain confidence. Don't beat yourself up TOO badly but take responsibility for the loss or admire the shooting that beat you. Learn from it & move on to improving your game. I hope this helps. Good Luck. Oh, remember that too, sometimes 'luck' has a little to do with it, but... good playing usually generates good luck.