advise on what to do with this great playing Hoppie

Estes Dave

Registered
I'm looting at trying to make this my #2 player cue. I'm not sure if I should restore it with a new shaft or do some work to it. The But and wrap is very thick. I would just like to get a few options. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_20150917_152523.jpg
    IMG_20150917_152523.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 485
  • IMG_20150917_152539.jpg
    IMG_20150917_152539.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 481
  • IMG_20150917_152539 (1).jpg
    IMG_20150917_152539 (1).jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 472
  • IMG_20150917_152618.jpg
    IMG_20150917_152618.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 532
  • IMG_20150917_152712.jpg
    IMG_20150917_152712.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 476

Sunchaser

Belgian Malinois
Silver Member
Have a 13 mm shaft made with black collar and play with it. I just screw on a joss shaft when I play with mine. Matt D.

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That looks like a pristine purpleheart Titlist. Sell that bad boy for large coin and make bank.

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would usually say leave it alone with this condition. It's pretty impeccable from the pics.

There are a bunch of lesser condition Hoppe cues you can use as players. A friend I've played with has a similar one with Gina shaft, and frankly, playing with such a think cue handle was not very comfortable (even though the shafts was an awesome vintage Gina). It might be worth it to sell that, and have a different blank built to your specs.

Either way, good find!

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Play it as it is, with a good fitting shaft. You can even fit a 30 inch shaft to it to give it more the contemporary length.

Many try to turn down an old Hoppe, with not so good results. Points can become very uneven, if there is a bit of warp, which is typical. Other flaws can come out. Enjoy it for what it is.

All the best,
WW

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
I would also keep it pretty much the same except since I can't stand a wrap, being it either leather or linen, that is not perfectly flush with the finish I would have the wrap redone...

Estes Dave

Registered
I was thinking about a new wrap also I would like to see if a cue maker could refinish it and possibly trim the butt down would that be crazy?

spliced

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You could look into having a cuemaker just turning down the handle area and butt sleeve and not mess with the forearm. The handle goes from very fat at the back of the cue to pretty thin at the front of the wrap very quickly. It will likely cost several hundred dollars or more depending on who does the work to have the handle/butt sleeve turned down, re-wrapped, refinish butt sleeve, possibly replace butt cap, and make new shaft. Add more $ if forearm needs refinished and brass joint polished.

Or if the thickness doesnt bother you just play with it as is, maybe get a new shaft

Estes Dave

Registered
Thanks for all the advise! I will get a new shaft made 30 inch and look into turning down the handle to match my helmstetter and of course a new wrap but in the perfect world if would look good without a wrap. I will keep you posted!