Show your palmers

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mr. Balner's Micrometer

Cues, Parts, & Mr. Balner's Micrometer -
According to Pete Balner, his father used this micrometer every day in the Palmer shop. It is a most important addition to my Palmer collection and I can not thank Peter Balner enough for transferring it to me.

Attachments

• img_3940 - Resized.jpg
    img_3940 - Resized.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 446

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
According to Pete Balner, his father used this micrometer every day in the Palmer shop. It is a most important addition to my Palmer collection and I can not thank Peter Balner enough for transferring it to me.

Very nice. That one on the right was on it's way to being a Model M, if not already.

Of all that acrylic, that copper colored piece is likely your most valuable. Hang onto it like grim death.

All the best,
WW

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member

Man, I'd love to have some of that blue acrylic.

ipoppa33

Shakedown Custom Rods
Silver Member
Palmer question

Love this thread, I dig these classic cues!! I'll try to keep this a short story, was playing last night and spotted this cue a couple of tables over, no wrap, dirty. Walked over and started talking to the guy and a few minutes later and a couple of $$ it was mine.
I'm pretty sure it's a second catalog model I. While reading Tate's website a little while ago it says "The Model I had beautiful long points with what would become the traditional Szamboti splice, ebony prongs with veneers of ebony, orange, chartreuse, and natual." I'm confused, does that mean it's a Szamboti forearm?
It's going to be a very cool cue when it refinished.
Thanks in advance.
Stan

IMG_0082.jpg

butt1.jpg

forearm1.jpg

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Model I

Yes. That's a Model I. After a clean-up, refinish, and wrap it will be a stunning cue.

Attachments

• Palmer Model I - DELETE.jpg
    Palmer Model I - DELETE.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 352

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Stan,

First of all, Model i's are pretty rare and sought after. I've bought and sold a couple but they are not commonly seen for sale and are very desirable and
collectible, regardless of the blank source.

At the time this cue was made, 1960's to early 1970's, this was before imported forearms were used and Palmer had three main sources of ebony blanks:

1) Palmer shop made
2) Burton Spain
3) Gus Szamboti

They all look pretty similar in the finished product, but quite a bit different with the wrap off. The Spain and Palmer shop made used full splices. They are rarely
cut so short to where the veneers are cut where attached to the handle (no reason to cut them this short) . Gus Szamboti made his using a short splice technique, which
looks like this when attached to the handle. That plus the symmetry, this definitely looks like a Szamboti to me. Regardless, it's worth restoring this cue.

Also, during this time period, there was a time when Palmer used an epoxy finish. if the finish is original, it looks like epoxy to me, which is thicker than the typical
lacquer or enamel finishes and prone to yellowing and cracking over time. It needs to be carefully removed to reveal the beauty of the cue. This cue will be beautiful
when refinished, you won't recognize it.

Chris

ipoppa33

Shakedown Custom Rods
Silver Member
Stan,

First of all, Model i's are pretty rare and sought after. I've bought and sold a couple but they are not commonly seen for sale and are very desirable and
collectible, regardless of the blank source.

At the time this cue was made, 1960's to early 1970's, this was before imported forearms were used and Palmer had three main sources of ebony blanks:

1) Palmer shop made
2) Burton Spain
3) Gus Szamboti

They all look pretty similar in the finished product, but quite a bit different with the wrap off. The Spain and Palmer shop made used full splices. They are rarely
cut so short to where the veneers are cut where attached to the handle (no reason to cut them this short) . Gus Szamboti made his using a short splice technique, which
looks like this when attached to the handle. That plus the symmetry, this definitely looks like a Szamboti to me. Regardless, it's worth restoring this cue.

Also, during this time period, there was a time when Palmer used an epoxy finish. if the finish is original, it looks like epoxy to me, which is thicker than the typical
lacquer or enamel finishes and prone to yellowing and cracking over time. It needs to be carefully removed to reveal the beauty of the cue. This cue will be beautiful
when refinished, you won't recognize it.

Chris

Chris thank you for the response. I'm so glad there are people who know the history of these classic cues and are willing to share that knowledge.
I can't wait for this to be refinished, I will post pictures when it's done.

If anyone has pics of their model I, post them up or let us know the post # so we can look them up.

Thanks again.
Stan

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please do post pics when it is done.

I am curious what wrap you will select.

Care to say or will it be a surprise?

ipoppa33

Shakedown Custom Rods
Silver Member
Please do post pics when it is done.

I am curious what wrap you will select.

Care to say or will it be a surprise?

LOL I'm not sure, the cue is still at my house. If I can get some Cortland I will probably go with that. Or maybe smooth black leather?

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Revivie This Thread

Gee. Nothing has been posted in this thread in a year!

Time for some color! Palmer Model Bs. These are just some of the colors available. Pretty nice for a $65 cue.

Attachments

• Palmer - Model B - IMG_7650 - DUPLICATE.jpg
    Palmer - Model B - IMG_7650 - DUPLICATE.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 218

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
More Palmers

Palmers are never lonely on my table.

Attachments

• 1 - 9-2-2020 - DELETE.jpg
    1 - 9-2-2020 - DELETE.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 185

ipoppa33

Shakedown Custom Rods
Silver Member
Just finished, picked it up today. Fresh off the lathe, new Cortland wrap, new shaft with match ringwork.

Finished4.JPG

Finished forearm1.JPG

Attachments

• Finished butt2a.jpg
    Finished butt2a.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 103
Last edited: