HOW cue tip hardness?

Jimbojim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can someone tell me how an HOW Soft cue tip would compare on a hardness scale against a Zan Soft, Elk Master or a Kamui black super soft approxmatively?

Thanks

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can Google that and find charts that will give you an answer. However, keep in mind that tip manufacturers rate their tips in comparison to their other tips. For instance, a Kamui SS tip may be as hard as the medium tip from another manufacturer. I had one SS tip that was so hard after a few weeks of play that I cut it off my play cue and used it for a break tip!!! Also, a soft tip will compact over time and get harder and harder.

Jimbojim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can Google that and find charts that will give you an answer. However, keep in mind that tip manufacturers rate their tips in comparison to their other tips. For instance, a Kamui SS tip may be as hard as the medium tip from another manufacturer. I had one SS tip that was so hard after a few weeks of play that I cut it off my play cue and used it for a break tip!!! Also, a soft tip will compact over time and get harder and harder.

I know about charts but I haven't seen HOW cue tips anywhere on those.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You may haven to call the company and ask for a durometer reading
Then you can compare it to the others whose durometer readings are easier to find
Pool dawg has a nice list

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can someone tell me how an HOW Soft cue tip would compare on a hardness scale against a Zan Soft, Elk Master or a Kamui black super soft approxmatively?

Thanks

The best players stick with a type tip for years. It can take a month to break in a new tip so be sceptical of opinions on tip hardness, etc. How can anyone have a valid opinion on more than one or two Tips?

‘I tried this Tip ...Then this..then..,’. How is this possible? The folks who jump from tip to tip are often the same ones who switch cues every couple years. They aren’t even comparing tips on the same cue!

‘I switched to a softer tip and..‘. Did you stick with it a year? Get used to it? Nope. Likely switched to ‘x tip ’ and two months later to ‘y tip‘.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You may have to call the company and ask for a durometer reading...
A cue repair guy I knew actually did durometer (hardness) tests on the tips he used. He discovered:

Not all tips in one box are the same and sometimes are not close.
The outside indication is a poor guide to what's in the box.

He resorted his tips according to his measurements.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I generally find one piece soft leather tips to play softer that any layered soft tips. A proven method for me is to shape a tip using 400 grit sandpaper- the more the leather tip fibers appear to shred, the softer the tip plays.Tips that stay very compact while being shaped by hand with this grit sandpaper tend to play harder.

Just from many years of experience. Even though I also prefer a soft cue tip, in many instances, I still think the older genuine Moori medium tips were the very best for me.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
HOW soft is clearly softer than Zan, Taom, Kamui or G2. It's even softer than a Moori Soft. I recommend going for the Medium hardness.

Jimbojim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
HOW soft is clearly softer than Zan, Taom, Kamui or G2. It's even softer than a Moori Soft. I recommend going for the Medium hardness.

Thank you Kim for answering my question!

I guess I have to precise that I like my tips to be extra soft...even mushy like and then after a week or 2 of good play, they will have settled in and need a reshape. At that point it's where it plays best so that's why I play with elk masters.

I tried a Zan soft yesterday and that was way too hard, I don't know how you guys can endure the sound of such a hard tip.

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m with you on the sound of a softer tip. As a cue repairman, I have access to just about any tip out there. Went through almost every soft tip available. Since they hardened over time, I lost the sound and feel I got at install. Finally, I asked a visiting pro what was on his play stick. Knowing that many factors affect how a tip plays and sounds, I took his advice and installed a Triangle tip on all my play cues. Even after a lot of play, the tip still feels and sounds like it did on install. This also obviated the click sound I got when a layer delaminated on a layered tip. Best of luck on your tip choice.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
is there a link to the HOW website
when i do a search i only get youtube links on how to ......

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you Kim for answering my question!

I guess I have to precise that I like my tips to be extra soft...even mushy like and then after a week or 2 of good play, they will have settled in and need a reshape. At that point it's where it plays best so that's why I play with elk masters.

I tried a Zan soft yesterday and that was way too hard, I don't know how you guys can endure the sound of such a hard tip.

I see customers like yourself all the time and sound is often the reason given for why they need a super soft tip. My advice is always the same; get used to that there will be sound and feedback from a shot. A ping sound when striking the ball with lots of english is not the same as misscue, try to separate the two and trust your stroke. Sure a super soft tip feels gret a day or two, but it hardens fairly quick and the amount of care and attention needed takes away from the game. Try to slowly move to a soft tip, then a soft/medium and maybe end up with something like a G2 medium which on the soft side of say a Zan or Kamui medium tip.

Jimbojim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see customers like yourself all the time and sound is often the reason given for why they need a super soft tip. My advice is always the same; get used to that there will be sound and feedback from a shot. A ping sound when striking the ball with lots of english is not the same as misscue, try to separate the two and trust your stroke. Sure a super soft tip feels gret a day or two, but it hardens fairly quick and the amount of care and attention needed takes away from the game. Try to slowly move to a soft tip, then a soft/medium and maybe end up with something like a G2 medium which on the soft side of say a Zan or Kamui medium tip.

They do require maintenance at first, I'll give you that but after the first week, it.is fully 'tapped in', and then I don't touch it anymore

TxBullDog

Registered

Thanks
Found this chart ... Some are missing but sharing if anybody wants to see a list. I play with Caiden fighter new tip. These looks like hardness values for (Shore-D) durometer scale.

Caiden tip - Here's the (Shore-D) readings for our tips:
SS: 70 | S: 74 | M: 79 | H: 84

Attachments

• IMG_2767.jpeg
    IMG_2767.jpeg
    384.9 KB · Views: 79

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Found this chart ... Some are missing but sharing if anybody wants to see a list. I play with Caiden fighter new tip. These looks like hardness values for (Shore-D) durometer scale.

Caiden tip - Here's the (Shore-D) readings for our tips:
SS: 70 | S: 74 | M: 79 | H: 84
this chart is ancient. a zillion new tips have hit the market since it was printed. be nice if some ultra anal-rentitive type would do a test of tips that have come out in, say, the last 5-7yrs. ;)

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
Problem is, tip hardness can vary between batches. Especially the old stuff like Elk Masters. They can range from sponge soft to almost break tip hardness.
Part of what makes the modern layered tips better is that they are more consistent. Some do this better than others. A chart can be helpful, but ultimately unreliable, and should only be used for reference. Actual testing is the only way to be sure.