This stuff works amazingly well on cleaning and polishing balls

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

After hearing about us cleaning the old ball set in Dawn dish soap and water and making them look dull , a Idea came to me. I also play Guitar and like to keep it in Pristine condition. A Cleaner and Polish which is the best hands down for Guitars is - https://virtuosopolish.com/ This stuff is fantastic and works wonders. It is made to use on Instruments that are worth thousands of dollars. So i thought what they heck I will try this on the ball set . I used the cleaner 1st just a dime size spot and rubbed it in with my hand and let it dry and then took a Microfiber cloth and cleaned it off , then repeated the same process with the polish , Then gave them a once over with a microfiber rag again. Wow , they look brand new and play just like they were new. They have that new gloss sheen to them again and we played for about 2 hours and they roll perfect. So if you want to try this go the address , It works wonders.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No , Not suppose to . It was made to use on Instruments costing thousands of dollars. My Guitar is about 30 years old and it has a Nitrocellose finish and this is the only product that works and does not give a haze look. The pool balls look brand new , The cleaner removed every spec and the polish brought that deep luster back to them and I did not really spend alot of time on the time. Problay 30 minutes total.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does it contain wax or silicone?

Place I used to frequent used Pledge daily. I got spoiled on it for a time. Moving the ball around the table was problematic and they're defunct now and I weaned back to au naturel balls - wipe em off if they get sticky.

Anyway they used Pledge instead of a carwash because it was easy and
_didn't yellow_.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Place I used to frequent used Pledge daily. I got spoiled on it for a time. Moving the ball around the table was problematic and they're defunct now and I weaned back to au naturel balls - wipe em off if they get sticky.

Anyway they used Pledge instead of a carwash because it was easy and
_didn't yellow_.

If you want the balls to slide Pledge is a decent way to go. If you want things to be like using new balls, this product looks really good but.. this product is about cleaning fine wood instruments, Not phenolic balls.

I'm sure this product will clean the balls, but IMO to maintain the "like new" surface of the ball you must have abrasives to burnish out the micro scratches from the mostly chalk dust and of course the tip of your cue.

Worse case here is a miss cue.
Get that sucker out with only de-greasers and conditioners.

You can get the junk off with spit and finger rubbing.

The scratch is still there.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Our products do not contain wax or silicone.
Thanks

Kirsten Powell
The Virtuoso Group, Inc.
P O Box 9775
Canoga Park, CA 91309-0775

www.virtuosopolish.com
Thanks for the info. Some rule sets forbid using any wax or wax-like product on the balls. Even without the rule, there is the problem of the wax or silicone wearing off the cue ball during play and changing the reaction with the cloth.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why do people use all kinds of cleaners and polishers on pool balls? It's like using a ball cleaner on your car or guitar. I guess the idea is that it doesn't matter. Well, it does.

I did an experiment a few years ago showing that when using products other than billiard ball cleaners the balls throw inconsistently. In a nutshell, I found that when using Aramith ball cleaner about 30 shots in a row all threw the same amount. When using an automotive cleaner like Novus, the ball throw changed by several inches from trial 1 to trial 30 (or 25) and began changing after just the first few trials.

Just use cleaner meant for billiard balls, IMO.

Last edited:

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is probably a great product to clean and polish high end custom cue butts; bc they are wood - just like guitars- personally I would not use it for high end pool balls. It is meant to clean and polish fine wood. I would agree with the poster who said that pool ball polisher should be used for pool balls- makes sense to me.Also, the website checkout for this product lists the price at $10 and the shipping at $10 also- I don't like paying as much for shipping as the product cost itself.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I generally wonder the same, but in this case...I think it is a frugal choice.

Of course the long term advantages of appropriately caring for your stuff outweigh many short term compromises...bit that's america: more, cheaper, now.
Why do people use all kinds of cleaners and polishers on pool balls? It's like using a ball cleaner on your car or guitar. I guess the idea is that it doesn't matter. Well, it does.

I did an experiment a few years ago showing that when using products other than billiard ball cleaners the balls throw inconsistently. In a nutshell, I found that when using Aramith ball cleaner about 30 shots in a row all threw the same amount. When using an automotive cleaner like Novus, the ball throw changed by several inches from trial 1 to trial 30 (or 25) and began changing after just the first few trials.

Just use cleaner meant for billiard balls, IMO.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is probably a great product to clean and polish high end custom cue butts; bc they are wood - just like guitars- personally I would not use it for high end pool balls. It is meant to clean and polish fine wood. I would agree with the poster who said that pool ball polisher should be used for pool balls- makes sense to me.Also, the website checkout for this product lists the price at $10 and the shipping at $10 also- I don't like paying as much for shipping as the product cost itself.

Lol. That is an arbitrary ratio.

10$ for delivery seems like a damn bargain.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol. That is an arbitrary ratio.

10$ for delivery seems like a damn bargain.

You know when you open a drink case at the store and grab a coke? The coke rests in a row of plastic glides that allow the drinks to slide to the front. I went to purchase a set of glides and the price was about $150. Shipping was $110. I told them to forget it. I'll figure something else out!

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know when you open a drink case at the store and grab a coke? The coke rests in a row of plastic glides that allow the drinks to slide to the front. I went to purchase a set of glides and the price was about $150. Shipping was $110. I told them to forget it. I'll figure something else out!

Haha. They don't want to sell you one, but they will.

$10 is a deal. Esp for a liquid that can't go airmail.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use liquid hand soap, water and paper towels. Biggest problem is getting chalk off the balls.

If I switched to something else I'm not sure how how it would impact the way the balls react so I stay with my imperfect system.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why is it lost on people that balls don't throw consistently when using whatever you have in the garage on billiard balls? :confused:

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I Wipe the balls. Put them in the dishwasher, 1 drop of detergent ( yes literally one drop) and 2 cups of white vinegar,. Like, glassware they come out sparkling.

No experience with any ball polishes. I’m more concerned about my table cloth. New ball sets are just a few dollars at the thrift stores but I’m too fussy about my tables to put any coating on a ball. My Snooker cloth is still immaculate after 12 years and my pool table cloth like new after 5 years. The key is to keep everything ‘clean’...not polished.