Mr 600

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I doubt more than 100 people world wide would pay ANY money to watch this. The value is not monetary, it’s in John pointing to a free video and saying “look what I did” for the rest of his life. That’s worth a lot more than a few bucks he might eventually make with a paid video. IMO of course.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tend to agree, but you actually could just watch a string of shorter runs to see how a player solves problems in a rack....

I think the best part of John's video will be from, say, 450 balls onward, where you know the stress was excruciating…..

I would have to mostly agree.

Every players tends to favor particular patterns that they like and are comfortable with and JS is no different in this regard. You'll often see them going for the same last few balls in the same progression each rack to get on a break ball.

Still, sometimes they get out of line and have to improvise.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In other words a DVD of this record has little to no value. Is placing it on You Tube and having thousands of people view it where the value lies?

I'm thinking along these lines.

At this point there may be more value in posting up the video to enhance his brand and the whole "Mr. 600" thing than trying to sell it.

Lou Figueroa

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Naww it would definitely get thousands, if it were free on YT.

To your comment and questions above, John said in one video or post that the run video had been submitted to the BCA. Nothing about what came of that of course.

It would get thousands that would click on it and watch maybe the first rack and then skip to the end to see how the run ends.

It would get a couple hundred that watched a 2 or 3 racks.

It would get about a dozen and a half that actually watched the whole damn thing.

Edit to add: These estimates are different viewer counts, not actual views.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I doubt more than 100 people world wide would pay ANY money to watch this. The value is not monetary, it’s in John pointing to a free video and saying “look what I did” for the rest of his life. That’s worth a lot more than a few bucks he might eventually make with a paid video. IMO of course.

As they say...

A belt just holds up your pants.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The value is not monetary, it’s in John pointing to a free video and saying “look what I did” for the rest of his life.

Perhaps you're right, and if John's only objective here is to make the best possible video for posterity, not to make money, you have to respect that, for it's his every right to do just that.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It would get thousands that would click on it and watch maybe the first rack and then skip to the end to see how the run ends.

It would get a couple hundred that watched a 2 or 3 racks.

It would get about a dozen and a half that actually watched the whole damn thing.
This is a gross underestimate of the number of views the video is likely to get.

This garden-variety run of 227 by Jayson Shaw has been viewed almost 100,000 times:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oYgBw2aRgY

A three-cushion run has received more than 100,000 views in one month:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhmeFnGZVZU

An Efren Reyes highlight reel has been viewed 1.4 million times in a couple months:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5luTFSLjJfA

John's run is likely to be viewed millions of times if it is put on YouTube with anything approaching decent production value. Not watched from start to finish, of course, but that is not super relevant in this context.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I messaged John a while back about this and he replied a while later.

(note: not trying to imply him and I are tight, I'm just a random dude he doesn't know...
I was surprised he took the time to respond.)

I don't know if he'd be cool with me posting his exact reply, so I guess to err on the safe side,
I'll just say he is still holding out hope that he can release it in a way that will let him make a few bucks.
I think he knows deep down that there's gonna be pirated copies.
But he's trying to think outside the box.

I suggested that he should just forget that, and make a cheap and easy digital download.
Louis CK did the same thing for one of his acts, and it was convenient enough that he still made
a million bucks even though it was easy to pirate.

John seemed somewhat open to the idea.

For the record, any youtube money will be negligible. As others have said, you'd use it to promote yourself.

The youtube AdSense payment has a few different factors... a longer video affords more opportunities
to serve ads, but you don't get paid for the ads that never get seen. So if they only watch a few
minutes and then get bored and quit... or they fast forward through a lot of it... your pay drops.

A pretty good rough rule of thumb, in 2019, if you're not a superstar and don't have additional
revenue through some sort of contract/sponsor... is $4 per 1,000 views.

The most popular video of John running balls that I can find, is his 366 ball run on Dennis Walsh's YT channel.
So John's already missing out a little bit, in the sense that all that revenue is presumably going to Dennis.

"All that revenue"
39,000 views = 39 * $4.00
= $156 spread out over the past 3 years.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

(note: not trying to imply him and I are tight, I'm just a random dude he doesn't know...

I don't know if he'd be cool with me posting his exact reply, so I guess to err on the safe side,
I'll just say he is still holding out hope that he can release it in a way that will let him make a few bucks.

I suggested that he should just forget that, and make a cheap and easy digital download.
Louis CK did the same thing for one of his acts, and it was convenient enough that he still made

For the record, any youtube money will be negligible. As others have said, you'd use it to promote yourself.

The youtube AdSense payment has a few different factors... a longer video affords more opportunities
to serve ads, but you don't get paid for the ads that never get seen. So if they only watch a few
minutes and then get bored and quit... or they fast forward through a lot of it... your pay drops.

A pretty good rough rule of thumb, in 2019, if you're not a superstar and don't have additional

The most popular video of John running balls that I can find, is his 366 ball run on Dennis Walsh's YT channel.
So John's already missing out a little bit, in the sense that all that revenue is presumably going to Dennis.

"All that revenue"

Don't know about that last part.

I believe Dennis handled distribution for JS and DH on their big runs and passed all proceeds to the players.

Lou Figueroa

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t understand making a DVD. I haven’t owned a DVD player for about 10 years. I guess my PS4 has one, but I’ve never used it. I’d buy a digital version or pay on Vimeo and the like but not a DVD.

Not everyone has access to wide band/high-speed Internet. Plus, if whatever media conglomerate that supplies cellular service has unusually high demand, they will often slow the speed below the minimum requirement for reliable functioning/manipulation on many digital video devices. Those that think every recorded event/program of importance can always be sourced from ‘the cloud’, had better pray there won’t be a violent sunspot event someday that wipes out all the satellites! When it comes to what is likely to be the most momentous milestone in modern billiards history (?), I prefer a hard copy.

Icon of Sin

Silver Member
John's run is likely to be viewed millions of times if it is put on YouTube with anything approaching decent production value. Not watched from start to finish, of course, but that is not super relevant in this context.
If I made a gross understatement, that is a gross overstatement.

Efren Reyes was one of the best pool players ever and a highlight reel from him is not only going to be watched by pool players but also randoms, because they are highlights. Not to mention he is legend not only in pool but also in Phillippines in general. The too is a reason it will gain more views.

If any big view counts happen for John, it will realistically get around the same amount as Shaw's run you linked. It's not a highlight reel, it someone shooting 626 balls into holes for hours. No one who isnt a pool player is going to give a damn and hell, some pool players arent either.

Plus my numbers were not meant to be actual view counts, I was counting them as different viewers. How many times you think the same person rewatched Efren's highlight reel?

As for the production value. They can add as many graphics as they want to it and get whoever they want to comment on it, if it was filmed slightly blurry, in a lower definition and slightly crooked, that's going to hurt it.

The 434 video John had up was amazing. I watched the entire run, but the recording itself was not the best. Like I said in a previous post, if Pred wanted to market this, they should have thought about that before John did it and provided him with a better setup for recording.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I made a gross understatement, that is a gross overstatement.

Efren Reyes was one of the best pool players ever and a highlight reel from him is not only going to be watched by pool players but also randoms, because they are highlights. Not to mention he is legend not only in pool but also in Phillippines in general. The too is a reason it will gain more views.

If any big view counts happen for John, it will realistically get around the same amount as Shaw's run you linked. It's not a highlight reel, it someone shooting 626 balls into holes for hours. No one who isnt a pool player is going to give a damn and hell, some pool players arent either.

Plus my numbers were not meant to be actual view counts, I was counting them as different viewers. How many times you think the same person rewatched Efren's highlight reel?

As for the production value. They can add as many graphics as they want to it and get whoever they want to comment on it, if it was filmed slightly blurry, in a lower definition and slightly crooked, that's going to hurt it.

The 434 video John had up was amazing. I watched the entire run, but the recording itself was not the best. Like I said in a previous post, if Pred wanted to market this, they should have thought about that before John did it and provided him with a better setup for recording.
Shaw's run got to hundreds of thousands of views with no promotion and no world record. Schmidt has history and the biggest brand name in pool behind him.

I don't think it's implausible that Schmidt's world record run would garner multiple millions of views when a three-cushion video is able to hit 100k.

Of course, the longer they wait the less demand there will be.

Icon of Sin

Silver Member
Shaw's run got to hundreds of thousands of views with no promotion and no world record. Schmidt has history and the biggest brand name in pool behind him.

I don't think it's implausible that Schmidt's world record run would garner multiple millions of views when a three-cushion video is able to hit 100k.

Of course, the longer they wait the less demand there will be.
John's 336 only has 40k views and its been uploaded for over 3 years now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrPrRvPOUkA

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess the question is whether there is an essential difference between a random high run of 336 by a not particularly well-known player and a world record run promoted by Predator. I think there is, apparently you don't.

We'll see what they end up deciding to do.

Icon of Sin

Silver Member
I guess the question is whether there is an essential difference between a random high run of 336 by a not particularly well-known player and a world record run promoted by Predator. I think there is, apparently you don't.

We'll see what they end up deciding to do.

LOL. What's funny is you think it being promoted by Predator means something to people outside of the pool world.

You tell some random you have a Predator Shaft and they are going to snicker and says something like "You said shaft".

I'm being realistic here. I hope John finds a way for it to blow up and get popular, but other then the 3 minutes on the local news, I don't it's going to get much bigger then what it already is.

As far as view counts, it will get past 100k eventually, Id be shocked if that was within 1 year. Id be even more shocked if it ever hit 1 million.

Icon of Sin

Silver Member
On a channel thats for diehards alone with very little or no promotion behind it

2540 subs to it
I typed "John Schmidt High Run" and that was the 5th result. What do you think Predator is going to do? Put a commercial on ESPN? They already have 1 ad on youtube which is also for the Revo shaft. Maybe they will put some clips on streamed events and run a ad in a Pool Magazine (do they even exist anymore).

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I typed "John Schmidt High Run" and that was the 5th result. What do you think Predator is going to do? Put a commercial on ESPN? They already have 1 ad on youtube which is also for the Revo shaft. Maybe they will put some clips on streamed events and run a ad in a Pool Magazine (do they even exist anymore).

Im actually stunned to see predator has less subscribers than dennis walsh! Lol
Mayb they wanna hit up pov pool with the 36429 subscribers if its views and exposure they want

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

"All that revenue"

this thread kind of makes me sad..john broke 526 by a hundred balls and we're talking about his pants pocket
but I want him to be successful too..it would be good for john and probably pool as a whole if he brought home some bacon off this thing

creedo, your post reminds me of radiohead's idea about selling their album for whatever people wanted to pay
it was a social experiment in a way, and if I remember right, some people paid a buck, some people paid 100..averaged about 20 bucks a sale I think
there's undoubtedly more money in music
but if john's worried about getting ripped off, maybe he could just put it out there
and people could donate whatever they wanted to
or he could do a crowdfund campaign and if people pay a certain amount, they could get perks
like autographs, memorabilia, private lessons, etc.
maybe this has been mentioned before
but I would be happy to contribute to something like that
I will also be happy to kick john a few bucks for whatever he decides to do with 626.