Your percent for this drill?

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is there any videos with this drill? Is he using the same speed on all the shots and just moving the position of the cue tip?

thanks

I think this is the way they're talking about, but I was lazy and drew the ball back to touch the short rail so I didn't have to go around the table to get the cue ball (long night at work). I actually like this drill for what I'm working on at the moment. I can put all my focus on training my feet to naturally just go where I want them subconsciously. Then when that is completed, then to get my back swing timing down. At the moment I look like a window licker not knowing what to do with my feet, but my chin is on the cue every shot. https://youtu.be/ng7b_UByDF4

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think this is the way they're talking about, but I was lazy and drew the ball back to touch the short rail so I didn't have to go around the table to get the cue ball (long night at work). I actually like this drill for what I'm working on at the moment. I can put all my focus on training my feet to naturally just go where I want them subconsciously. Then when that is completed, then to get my back swing timing down. At the moment I look like a window licker not knowing what to do with my feet, but my chin is on the cue every shot. https://youtu.be/ng7b_UByDF4

Very nice! Sir, you shoot quite well. Kept me in suspense until the last ball:eek:

When using follow with this drill I found it easier to alternate ends of the table instead of getting the cue ball and walking back around.

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very nice! Sir, you shoot quite well. Kept me in suspense until the last ball:eek:

When using follow with this drill I found it easier to alternate ends of the table instead of getting the cue ball and walking back around.

Thank you. I felt very uncomfortable getting my feet in position. I'll be glad to get a more fluid rythm where everything just falls into place without trying.

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
I realized after the first take that I had to keep the cueball within a ball's width so I decided to re-shoot it over lunch. Unfortunately my cats had other ideas.

Porscha's Fault

Diamond's Fault

I'll do it again after work and feeding time.

marikian

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks for posting.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stop shots are easier than controlled draw/follow, as explained on Dr. Dave's Stop Shot Resource Page:

"With a stop shot, the CB has a small amount of top/bottom spin over a fairly large distance, especially with faster-speed shots, and the CB stops within a very short distance (or no distance at all) with a small amount of spin (or no spin)."

pj <- maybe not to within 1/4", though...
chgo

I would never go against what Dr. Dave says about the game, but I know from showing this drill to probably 100 people, that even some of the scuffs can make 13 or 14 when they use a little draw but the minute I added that they had to stun the cueball so that it did not travel more than 1/4 of an inch , all the c players make percentage went in the toilet.
Even a lot of the B players couldn't make more than 10 or 11.
I also did not have them on a table, where you can hit a diamond up the rail, and still have the ball go in though.

Mustardeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only drill I do these days is run 9ball or 10 ball racks. Then work on a specific shot for a while. No drills for me thank you.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I would never go against what Dr. Dave says about the game, but I know from showing this drill to probably 100 people, that even some of the scuffs can make 13 or 14 when they use a little draw but the minute I added that they had to stun the cueball so that it did not travel more than 1/4 of an inch , all the c players make percentage went in the toilet.
Even a lot of the B players couldn't make more than 10 or 11.
I also did not have them on a table, where you can hit a diamond up the rail, and still have the ball go in though.
Dave’s comparison is about CB control, not shotmaking. Stop shots are more sensitive to throw, which can make them harder to pocket.

pj
chgo

marikian

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The first pool lesson I ever took was from Stevie Moore who swears this drill is the reason he's ever won any tournament. People on this thread are highly underestimating the difficulty of this drill and it rewards. People write it off because of the surface level simplicity, which is ultimately the genius of the drill. Stevie described this drill as a sight calibration that helped him with ALL his shots. I don't want to call out any pro's on this thread but I've set this drill up for six or seven professionals / A+ players and NONE made all 15. It takes time and dedication to get good at this drill. Having said that I have no question that the worlds upper echelon players would complete easily, but that's why they are who they are. This drill doesn't differentiate the 550 player from the 600 - more like the 750 to the 800 player.

12 years ago I had just gotten a table during my lessons with Stevie and I practiced this drill for two weeks before APA regionals. I started the weekend as an APA 4 handicap. The following Monday I was a 7.

More details: Stevie would shoot this drill nine different ways, always shooting the same stroke per 15 ball set.

• stop
• 3-6 inch force follow
• 1 diamond follow
• 2 diamond follow
• 3 diamond follow
• 3-6 inch draw
• 1 diamond draw
• 2 diamond draw
• 3 diamond draw

99% percent of pool players, including myself, are too lazy to practice this drill, much less perfect it.

I have been doing this drill for 2 days now and my stroke is better than ever.

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You get a Greenie for actually posting a video.

I think I figured out what a greenie is, but still don't know how to give them. I think the red ones are for the members that piss people off from guys saying they gave a person a red. Thankfully I haven't pissed anyone off yet. lol

Thank you to everyone in the past that gave me a greenie, I just now seen them. Not sure if it's a big deal, but will give you all greenies back when I find out how to give them.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think I figured out what a greenie is, but still don't know how to give them. I think the red ones are for the members that piss people off from guys saying they gave a person a red. Thankfully I haven't pissed anyone off yet. lol

Thank you to everyone in the past that gave me a greenie, I just now seen them. Not sure if it's a big deal, but will give you all greenies back when I find out how to give them.

ken
its easy to give a greenie....:)
see the green + towards the bottom (i dont how to call the part that has you name avatar stats etc )
all you have to do is click on that and the rest will be self explanatory....:thumbup:
sorry for the side track
carry on men
great thread btw
greenie.png

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ken
its easy to give a greenie....:)
see the green + towards the bottom (i dont how to call the part that has you name avatar stats etc )
all you have to do is click on that and the rest will be self explanatory....:thumbup:
sorry for the side track
carry on men
great thread btw
View attachment 536950

Thank you, I think I just gave you a greenie, but it kept disappearing when trying to leave comment. So I just hit add reputation and think it went through.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thank you, I think I just gave you a greenie, but it kept disappearing when trying to leave comment. So I just hit add reputation and think it went through.

I don’t know how to check the greenie if went thru but thanks for trying...:thumbup:

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t know how to check the greenie if went thru but thanks for trying...:thumbup:

You can see the greenies when you click on the control panel tab. I guess you can't give a banned member a greenie, just a red.

I thought this was a good thread to, but it looks like it died off. This isn't a bad drill at all. I'll work on it more after the holidays are over. Have a Merry Christmas.

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
You can see the greenies when you click on the control panel tab. I guess you can't give a banned member a greenie, just a red.

I thought this was a good thread to, but it looks like it died off. This isn't a bad drill at all. I'll work on it more after the holidays are over. Have a Merry Christmas.

I'm going to post a completed video, I've just been swamped. Hopefully some other posters here can show us their skills between now and then.

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm going to post a completed video, I've just been swamped. Hopefully some other posters here can show us their skills between now and then.

Copy that. My wife and I are big animal lovers and got a kick out of your last videos. My one little dog which is a jug likes to chase the balls down the ball return and grabs the ball out of the box and brings it back to me. I have to keep him out of my pool room to keep him from slobbering all over balls. Luckily he can't reach the table. lol