Dufferin sneaky pete cues?? I need an answer about the maple leaf colors?!!

acedonkeyace

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i need to find out once and for all what the difference of any is in the dufferin vinatge 1980's cues that had different color of maple leafs in the butt sections.

I was told the red maple leaf cues had short splices in them

I was told the green maple lead cues were full splice cues

What is the difference if any of the colors of the maple leafs, is this a construction difference, where they were designed to be sold, US versus Canada, or nothing just design??

Help me out

thanks

mike 'acedonkeyace' kennedy

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i need to find out once and for all what the difference of any is in the dufferin vinatge 1980's cues that had different color of maple leafs in the butt sections.

I was told the red maple leaf cues had short splices in them

I was told the green maple lead cues were full splice cues

What is the difference if any of the colors of the maple leafs, is this a construction difference, where they were designed to be sold, US versus Canada, or nothing just design??

Help me out

thanks

Maybe you should contact Mike Pancerny. I think he used to work for Dufferin.

acedonkeyace

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you have a contact name or phone number to get ahold of Mike Pacerney??

Does anyone know how to get ahold of mike, thanks for any help

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
I may be way off base, but I 'think' it may be the difference between pool cues & snooker cues. I have personally never seen a red leaf snooker cue, or a green leaf pool cue. I have seen small diameter red leaf house cues, but they are still normal house cues but cut thin. All the green leaf cues I have seen were not even maple, but ash, and were snooker cues. Again, I may be way off on that but it's what I have seen so it's an assumption. I'd like to know for certain as well.

Jim Baxter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back in the 90's when I ordered from the factory , they told me there was no difference between red and green , just what ever they had on hand . I had a buyer that got his green lable cue broken in a bar fight , and he had to have another . at that time they had no green lables available . Jim

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From what I know and have seen, they are the same, there is no difference and the color of the leaf is incidental. It seems that certain cues with the green leaf may be fewer in number.

For sure the notion of full splice versus half splice is incorrect.
For sure the notion of ash versus maple is incorrect.
Both of these I have seen to be untrue with my own eyes.

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see very few of the green regardless of age. Most of them are red, and I would have to doubt the full splice versus half splice theory as well. House cues are full splice. and there are tons of those with the red label out there. I have a pile of broken and warped HC's in the corner of My shop, they are all full splice and have red labels.

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had both, a green and a red maple leaf dufferin double anniversary sneaky Pete. No difference between the two except the color of the leaf.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Mase, I believe his AZ name is lives in Toronto. He still has a lot of Dufferin blanks for sale. if anyone knows it will be him.

He hasn't posted in some time but that doesn't mean he isn't hanging around.

Patrick

1 Pocket Addict
Silver Member
I got a number of these cues and from what I can tell, from a rarity standpoint:
Red: Common
Green: Rare
Black: Very rare

Some trends I've noticed:
I've seen all colors in pool cues, but they are almost always 57"
Black leaf is almost exclusively on ebony cues
The older cues have a basic weight stamp like "20" instead of the script
The older butterfly cues have longer butterfly veneers
The older cues have thicker handles

ALL OF THE ABOVE IS STRICTLY MY PERSONAL OBSERVATIONS

Here are some of mine:
Dufferin001.jpg

Dufferin002.jpg

DufferinOldvsNew.jpg

-Patrick

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe the reason the older ones have longer butterflies is simply because they are fatter. Turn them more and the butterflies are shorter. In other words the blanks were essentially the same. Something to consider if looking for one to use as a blank for a cue. Of course...the CMs will know this.

Nice set of cues, thanks for the pic.

Mase

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mase, I believe his AZ name is lives in Toronto. He still has a lot of Dufferin blanks for sale. if anyone knows it will be him.

He hasn't posted in some time but that doesn't mean he isn't hanging around.

I have a few hundred butts at home and every one of them has a red maple leaf and the ebony has a black one. I aquired the majority of these when Dufferin went out of business. I would have to assume that the green ones were a little earlier production than my butts.

Billiard Boy

I have a few hundred butts at home and every one of them has a red maple leaf and the ebony has a black one. I aquired the majority of these when Dufferin went out of business. I would have to assume that the green ones were a little earlier production than my butts.
The difference between the Red Leaf Dufferin and the Green Leaf Dufferin is the red leaf indicates a 57 inch cue and the green leaf indicates a 58 inch cue, the butt of the Green Leaf Dufferin should measure 29-1/2 inches from one end of the wood butt to the other end of the wood butt.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The difference between the Red Leaf Dufferin and the Green Leaf Dufferin is the red leaf indicates a 57 inch cue and the green leaf indicates a 58 inch cue, the butt of the Green Leaf Dufferin should measure 29-1/2 inches from one end of the wood butt to the other end of the wood butt.

Where was I when this thread was current?

Away back in 1988 AD, I purchased 100 or so Duffs - from the factory. 8 were Sneakies,
6 were Ebony 1piece.

All the regular house cues had Red Leaf logos. and were 57 in.

All the Sneakies had Green Leaf and were 58 in. It seemed to me they were intended
for the US market because they had 13 mm Pro taper shafts with the pin in the butt.

BTW - the butts and shafts were 29 inches in length.

The Ebony 1piece had WHITE Leaf logos on a black background - just like every other
Ebony Duff I have ever seen, never saw a black leaf, don't expect I ever will.

About 10-ish years prior to that time I purchased 100 Duff house cues for a whopping
$6 each. And yes, I do wish I still had them at that price. I believe they had just
started selling in the US and were going after the niche held by Katz, the premium
house cue at that time.

They were 57 in and all had Red leaf - as I recall, the 'pro' taper was longer on these
earlier versions. Katz didn't have pro taper.

Dale

Billiard Boy

PDCUE,
Yes You are correct "BTW - the butts and shafts were 29 inches in length." I would have sworn it was 29-1/2 inches when I measured it the other day but today, sure enough it measures 29 inches, so it's either one of two things, either I can't use a measuring tape Or my memory is not what it used to be, I'm going with the latter. :grin:
Off too the pool hall.

kiddcutty

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where was I when this thread was current?

Away back in 1988 AD, I purchased 100 or so Duffs - from the factory. 8 were Sneakies,
6 were Ebony 1piece.

All the regular house cues had Red Leaf logos. and were 57 in.

All the Sneakies had Green Leaf and were 58 in. It seemed to me they were intended
for the US market because they had 13 mm Pro taper shafts with the pin in the butt.

BTW - the butts and shafts were 29 inches in length.

The Ebony 1piece had WHITE Leaf logos on a black background - just like every other
Ebony Duff I have ever seen, never saw a black leaf, don't expect I ever will.

About 10-ish years prior to that time I purchased 100 Duff house cues for a whopping
$6 each. And yes, I do wish I still had them at that price. I believe they had just
started selling in the US and were going after the niche held by Katz, the premium
house cue at that time.

They were 57 in and all had Red leaf - as I recall, the 'pro' taper was longer on these
earlier versions. Katz didn't have pro taper.

Dale

Maybe you can tell me what can of Duff I have. It's a green leaf with a flat laminated 13mm shaft. Aluminum Joint. Pin in the shaft.
Also there are chevrons going all the up the shaft to the the tip indicating the "sweet spot". The chevrons line up perfectly with the butterfly and the 19oz weight stamp.

Attachments

• 20140305_171604.jpg
    20140305_171604.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 1,292
  • 20140107_174838.jpg
    20140107_174838.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 1,228
  • 20140107_173256.jpg
    20140107_173256.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 1,234
  • 20140107_173250.jpg
    20140107_173250.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 1,483
  • 20140107_173243.jpg
    20140107_173243.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 1,334

CrossBone Cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A guy I shoot with has a gold leaf, he drinks a lot, lies a lot and use to do wood working, I figured he done something to it to get it gold, but it is gold. he swares its rare. I tried to take a picture one night and he thru a fit, so I assumed by those actions it was a fake.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got a number of these cues and from what I can tell, from a rarity standpoint:
Red: Common
Green: Rare
Black: Very rare

Some trends I've noticed:
I've seen all colors in pool cues, but they are almost always 57"
Black leaf is almost exclusively on ebony cues
The older cues have a basic weight stamp like "20" instead of the script
The older butterfly cues have longer butterfly veneers
The older cues have thicker handles

ALL OF THE ABOVE IS STRICTLY MY PERSONAL OBSERVATIONS

Here are some of mine:
Dufferin001.jpg