I've been asserting if you take away the trick cue

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
and force them to jump with a full cue - or kick - you would see some changes at the end of the tournaments.

The guy who made it to the hot seat at Turning Stone - Earl Strickland.

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While we are at it, let's do away with the forward pass in football, the intentional walk in baseball and the dunk in basketball.

Or, players could start adapting to the game as they do in other sports.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
and force them to jump with a full cue - or kick - you would see some changes at the end of the tournaments.

The guy who made it to the hot seat at Turning Stone - Earl Strickland.

One out of thirty times is a great way to be correct.

FreeShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think I ever remember seeing Efren use a jump cue. Though I guess if you kick as good as he did you don't need a jump cue.

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't think I ever remember seeing Efren use a jump cue. Though I guess if you kick as good as he did you don't need a jump cue.

Just my opinion but if I had my way JUMPING in any form would
be a foul.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
While we are at it, let's do away with the forward pass in football, the intentional walk in baseball and the dunk in basketball.

Or, players could start adapting to the game as they do in other sports.

Deflated footballs, golf wedges without grooves, cored bats.....
...lots of things aren’t allowed.

Some jumping devices were banned long ago...butt jumps, shaft jumps....
...deeming some equipment illegal is not unknown at pool.

I like “Jump with the cue you’re playing with.”

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Deflated footballs, golf wedges without grooves, cored bats.....
...lots of things aren’t allowed.

Some jumping devices were banned long ago...butt jumps, shaft jumps....
...deeming some equipment illegal is not unknown at pool.

I like “Jump with the cue you’re playing with.”

I do too. Thats why I like med-firm to hard tips and stiff hitting shafts.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
I suspect some guys would go back to conventional shafts and harder tips. CF shaft and LD shafts are not the best jumpers. One Pocket has not suffered without the short stick.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
I learned to jump with a full cue in 89. Meucci came out with a jump cue about 90 if I remember correctly. Never used one until about 2000. Know there were a few of them in the pool room about that time.

I don't find them to be a bad thing personally. It is a shot you have to practice to be good at, like any other shot. From what I've seen, the guys that complain about them tend to play 1 pocket, or other games where jumping isn't done.

If you are going to take away jump cues, may I suggest going back to heavy cue balls and thick cloth. Was a better game with those two things as well. Add cues that weighed at least 20 ounces, wood shafts, ivory ferrules, thick butts, and smoking.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
You could make golfers play with a 9 iron....

I used to bet I could break 90 with a five iron and a putter....and always won.
PGA players could bet on breaking 80 with a nine iron and a putter...
...at least I would bet on it...and that’s on a PGA course...they are awesome.

jeephawk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure any of the folks he's beaten would have made it any closer with a jump cue, lol, from the matches I've watched him in this tourney. He's been rolling.

Edit: maybe Shaw would have hit a better shot on the one example, but maybe not.

Anyway, he got past the hot seat!

Nothing but longer, thicker shafts in the finals - pool studs!

Last edited:

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
If you ban jump cues, the periodic snivelfest will need a new topic of discussion.

Last edited:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I learned to jump with a full cue in 89. Meucci came out with a jump cue about 90 if I remember correctly. Never used one until about 2000. Know there were a few of them in the pool room about that time.

I don't find them to be a bad thing personally. It is a shot you have to practice to be good at, like any other shot. From what I've seen, the guys that complain about them tend to play 1 pocket, or other games where jumping isn't done.

If you are going to take away jump cues, may I suggest going back to heavy cue balls and thick cloth. Was a better game with those two things as well. Add cues that weighed at least 20 ounces, wood shafts, ivory ferrules, thick butts, and smoking.

Your correct!

Most, not all but, most people who are against jump cues or even break cues are people that grew up playing 14.1, 1hole, 15 ball rotation etc...etc.

Like many, I'm very proficient with a jump cue. I practice jump drills:

Jump draw
Jump follw
Jump and stop
Jump stun
Jump masse
Jump into a kick/bank

Etc...etc

To me, kicking is even easier than jumping and more dependable. It just takes more table time to master, that's all.

Jumping on the other hand, IMO is much, much easier for the novice to learn when compared to the time it takes for them to learn to be a proficient kicker.

Since I'm one of the people who had much rather see my opponent kick, well, I would gladly burn my jump and break cues if everyone else did.....gladly.