Unity Cues

dukeboy1977

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First off, let me say that this is my 1st Unity Cue I received in trade for my Nikon D70, so I have had no previous experience with these cues. I received this cue today 1/27/2011 after a little battle with the post office because it should have been delivered yesterday according to my tracking info. Anyways, I got it today and yes, I hunted down the postman :p My review will be an ongoing one throughout the weekend probably because I haven't really had the chance to properly check it out in a pool room or on a table, this is only a visual check.

My 1st look at the cue was very quick but I did notice the wood used to build it with was outstanding! This cue has some of the best curly maple I've ever seen in any cue, let alone one not built by a 'master cue-maker'. The 'curls' are just magnificent, and it seems to be well built. My 2nd look at it was a more in depth look at various items in the cue, like the 3/8x10 pin, buttcap, trim rings, and the wrap. Now, I was rightfully accused, by who I got it from, of being 'pretty particular' when it comes to my cues. He knew I'd find a few flaws he doesn't find when looking at cues. I don't understand that, but I guess I don't have to. First, I looked at the pin since it's the old style 3/8x10 pin, which I wanted so my other main playing shafts would fit it in case I didn't like the cue's original shaft. The pin appears to be well installed and there are no rough spots around the pin, so well done guys! Right below it are some simple black trim rings with white rings inside. One thing I noticed off the bat was that the white rings inside appear to not be the same width all the way around. They looked like they weren't cut with a sharp blade so they are a little 'jagged' in some small areas, but that's not a major concern to me. You have to really look for that to see it, so I'm ok with it. My other concern with the white rings is the fact that they aren't completely white. In some spots they look dirty so they have a darker tint to them, but again, not a big concern to me and you have to look for it to see it, so I'm ok with this also. Next I looked at the wrap once I got past the beautiful curly maple used in this forearm! It's nice and smooth like new linen should be, and it looks to be nicely installed to me, but I know not much about wraps so maybe someone else could see something I don't. One thing I did notice however, is the fact that it seems like either the wrap groove was cut just a hair too deep or the linen isn't consistently the same size, as in one little spot I can feel where the forearm is just a hair bigger than where the linen meets it. It really is minor as it's only like a hair in size difference, so again, I'm perfectly fine with it. Where the linen meets the buttsleeve is perfect to me, so it makes me believe it may be just a bad spot in the linen itself? Anyways, I'm ok with the product as of yet. After getting past the gorgeous wood in the butt-sleeve I came to the black buttcap which unfortunately has the same flaws as the trim ring by the joint. The white rings look not consistent all the way around and are dirty in spots. At the base of the buttcap is a little nick, which I can only imagine happened after it was shipped around, but once again, very minor and ok with me. On the bottom of the buttcap is a round squared-off stopper like you'd find in a BCM Cue, I kinda like it! I pulled it out to find what looks to be a hole drilled to add a weight bolt, though at the moment it lacks one and is a hair light for me. I'm hoping to change that soon.

Next, my shaft review: At first glance it looks pretty nice, though it does have minor 'sugar marks' here or there. Only 1 straight down but very very thin by the ferrule so I'm not worried about it. It might actually be useful to keep it facing 'up' so I constantly have the shaft the same way and get consistent results regarding 'english' and such. The tip used appears to be a Le Pro, but I'll use it for a while and check it out. Maybe I'll like it on this cue? The shaft taper appears to be very nice, and the shaft is nice and smooth like a new shaft should be. Again, WELL DONE GUYS! I'm not sure what the ferrule is made of, I've never been good at identifying material used for ferrules, BUT there is no difference in ferrule size than the shaft size. It's a nice smooth transition which gives me hope about these cues as well as the niceness of the butt. The trim ring at the joint has the same issue as the other trim rings...dirty and 'jagged' white rings, BUT I'm ok with them. The threads of this shaft seem to be well installed as they are very clean so I have no issues with them.

Well, that is my initial 'look over' review of a UNITY CUE I now have in my possession and I'll have a playing review this weekend I'm sure. All-In-All I have found NOTHING terrible about this cue, only minor flaws that maybe someone else wouldn't notice. I'm hoping this cue plays as well as it looks to me, I'd love to keep it, love it, hug it, and call it George! lmao! If this cue plays half as good as it looks, these cues are definitely winners in my book! Thanks for reading my review! Jeff Duke

Last edited by a moderator:

dukeboy1977

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sorry

It seems I mistakenly put this in the cue case review section. Plz move it to the cue review section for me, and for all to read. Thanks, Jeff

dukeboy1977

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
playing

I played for a couple of hours last night with this cue so that I'd be able to give a decent review of its abilities / weaknesses. For me, this cue has a hard 'hit' to it, but that could very well be attributed to the tip, or ferrule / tip combo, so I'm really going to need to have it checked and the tip changed because I'm not very good at identifying ferrule materials. With this hard 'hit' comes a sound when striking the cue-ball that I'm not very fond of but I tried letting it not bother me. It sounds as though something is as hard as a rock, not anything wrong with my cue...and on a 3/8x10 pin cue ( wood to wood contact ), the tip is the only thing I can really blame for it because 3/8x10 cues usually have a softer 'hit' to them, which is why I prefer them. The current tip seems to be a Le Pro so I can't understand why it's so hard, BUT then again, I'm not sure of this so I'll accept it and just change it asap. Upon first stroke of this cue, I got the feeling that it could be a well used cue once I have the weight adjusted and tip changed. It really is well balanced, and I'd have to say it felt pretty good. It's a pretty light cue and the wood isn't as dense as my other favorite cues, but it's far from one of the worst cues I've ever used. 'English' was fairly easy to apply and it responded nicely...If anyone has any questions as far as their playability, just ask here so all can see the reply. I'll try to answer the best I can asap. Thanks and sorry if you were expecting more, Jeff

Last edited:

UnityCustomCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wow

Where to start? The tip is not a La Pro it is a Triangle. The rings are not white they are real Maple and two sides of the rings are doll because they are the end grains of the wood so they are perfect nothing wrong look at any southwest they will be the same way. The hit being "Hard" to "You" is prob from the cue being lite in weight or the triangle tip nothing to do with 3/8 10.

First off, let me say that this is my 1st Unity Cue I received in trade for my Nikon D70, so I have had no previous experience with these cues. I received this cue today 1/27/2011 after a little battle with the post office because it should have been delivered yesterday according to my tracking info. Anyways, I got it today and yes, I hunted down the postman :p My review will be an ongoing one throughout the weekend probably because I haven't really had the chance to properly check it out in a pool room or on a table, this is only a visual check.

My 1st look at the cue was very quick but I did notice the wood used to build it with was outstanding! This cue has some of the best curly maple I've ever seen in any cue, let alone one not built by a 'master cue-maker'. The 'curls' are just magnificent, and it seems to be well built. My 2nd look at it was a more in depth look at various items in the cue, like the 3/8x10 pin, buttcap, trim rings, and the wrap. Now, I was rightfully accused, by who I got it from, of being 'pretty particular' when it comes to my cues. He knew I'd find a few flaws he doesn't find when looking at cues. I don't understand that, but I guess I don't have to. First, I looked at the pin since it's the old style 3/8x10 pin, which I wanted so my other main playing shafts would fit it in case I didn't like the cue's original shaft. The pin appears to be well installed and there are no rough spots around the pin, so well done guys! Right below it are some simple black trim rings with white rings inside. One thing I noticed off the bat was that the white rings inside appear to not be the same width all the way around. They looked like they weren't cut with a sharp blade so they are a little 'jagged' in some small areas, but that's not a major concern to me. You have to really look for that to see it, so I'm ok with it. My other concern with the white rings is the fact that they aren't completely white. In some spots they look dirty so they have a darker tint to them, but again, not a big concern to me and you have to look for it to see it, so I'm ok with this also. Next I looked at the wrap once I got past the beautiful curly maple used in this forearm! It's nice and smooth like new linen should be, and it looks to be nicely installed to me, but I know not much about wraps so maybe someone else could see something I don't. One thing I did notice however, is the fact that it seems like either the wrap groove was cut just a hair too deep or the linen isn't consistently the same size, as in one little spot I can feel where the forearm is just a hair bigger than where the linen meets it. It really is minor as it's only like a hair in size difference, so again, I'm perfectly fine with it. Where the linen meets the buttsleeve is perfect to me, so it makes me believe it may be just a bad spot in the linen itself? Anyways, I'm ok with the product as of yet. After getting past the gorgeous wood in the butt-sleeve I came to the black buttcap which unfortunately has the same flaws as the trim ring by the joint. The white rings look not consistent all the way around and are dirty in spots. At the base of the buttcap is a little nick, which I can only imagine happened after it was shipped around, but once again, very minor and ok with me. On the bottom of the buttcap is a round squared-off stopper like you'd find in a BCM Cue, I kinda like it! I pulled it out to find what looks to be a hole drilled to add a weight bolt, though at the moment it lacks one and is a hair light for me. I'm hoping to change that soon.

Next, my shaft review: At first glance it looks pretty nice, though it does have minor 'sugar marks' here or there. Only 1 straight down but very very thin by the ferrule so I'm not worried about it. It might actually be useful to keep it facing 'up' so I constantly have the shaft the same way and get consistent results regarding 'english' and such. The tip used appears to be a Le Pro, but I'll use it for a while and check it out. Maybe I'll like it on this cue? The shaft taper appears to be very nice, and the shaft is nice and smooth like a new shaft should be. Again, WELL DONE GUYS! I'm not sure what the ferrule is made of, I've never been good at identifying material used for ferrules, BUT there is no difference in ferrule size than the shaft size. It's a nice smooth transition which gives me hope about these cues as well as the niceness of the butt. The trim ring at the joint has the same issue as the other trim rings...dirty and 'jagged' white rings, BUT I'm ok with them. The threads of this shaft seem to be well installed as they are very clean so I have no issues with them.

Well, that is my initial 'look over' review of a UNITY CUE I now have in my possession and I'll have a playing review this weekend I'm sure. All-In-All I have found NOTHING terrible about this cue, only minor flaws that maybe someone else wouldn't notice. I'm hoping this cue plays as well as it looks to me, I'd love to keep it, love it, hug it, and call it George! lmao! If this cue plays half as good as it looks, these cues are definitely winners in my book! Thanks for reading my review! Jeff Duke

twal

"W"
Silver Member
New tip?

So I am curious, did youget a new layered tip on this yet?
Did it affect how the cue hits?

dukeboy1977

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
not yet

I haven't bothered to yet, since I have an older DZ shaft w/ a moori tip I've been using on it. I'll let y'all know!

dukeboy1977

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
tomorrow

So I am curious, did you get a new layered tip on this yet?

I had a med. talisman tip installed and will use it for the first time tomorrow at a tournament. I'll let you know my thoughts on this matter for sure!

dukeboy1977

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
layered tip review

OK, since you asked I'll tell you. It may be because I prefer layered Talisman tips over anything, but from the first ball I hit with this cue, it just felt right. It's a good thing I can no longer afford to buy / sell cues so I can keep 1 cue and get used to it. This cue seems to be well built and once I had an adjustment made, now it plays well IMO. This cue plays better than I do anymore since I haven't played.