Best hitting cue you ever played with.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
single best player was a quilted maple/coco 57.5" cue from Mason Houghland. Wish I hadn't of sold it, can't find it now. Bright side, lot of good cuemakers out there, and the two (snipershot and JoeyinCali) I have cues from currently make great hitting cues.

plhlolelnlilx

F.I.S.H.
Silver Member
How sad it is that one of the best hitting cues I've used was a cheap "Vintage" brand cue with a Le Pro tip. From what I could tell it appeared to be a cheap Chinese made cue or knock off but it played as good or better than any actual custom I had owned.

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
I'm going with a Greg Hearns Widowmaker. I've played with many top name cues and I like the Hearns' hit the best. That's probably why I own four of them and am always looking for more.

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well I know where you are going with this for sure J.B..Anyways some people are collectors and not players so they might not know how a cue hits or just cant play well enough to know(probably like you).I currently own 109 cues valued at about 450k and certainly know how to play and I think the best hitting cue i have have ever hit with is a handmade cue made from the great Jack Justis but what do I know Im just a player that has run over 300 balls on a tight diamond table and in your words a shortstop player.

Russ Espiritu best cue for the money.
Richard Black affordable to outrageous
Tascarella a legendary cuemaker and handmade no cnc inlays.
Thomas Wayne Hall Of Famer and great hitting cues.
Szamboti well every player and collector needs 1 or 2 of them.
Ginacues the best engineer in the cuemaking world
Balabushka cues Im glad I got a few of them.

blucollar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since we can only choose one, I would have to say a Tascarella with a phenolic joint and 3/8x10 pin. My friend owns this cue and it plays better than any steel jointed or ivory jointed Tasc I have tried. But Pete Tasc in general.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Well I know where you are going with this for sure J.B..Anyways some people are collectors and not players so they might not know how a cue hits or just cant play well enough to know(probably like you).I currently own 109 cues valued at about 450k and certainly know how to play and I think the best hitting cue i have have ever hit with is a handmade cue made from the great Jack Justis but what do I know Im just a player that has run over 300 balls on a tight diamond table and in your words a shortstop player.

So if you can only keep one cue to play with which one is it? Which brand will you go on record as your one cue to keep if you must give up all others?

maxeypad2007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hit wise the "family" southwest cue that I have hits better than any cue I have ever picked up. A plain jane lambros I played with a while back is a close second.

When it comes to playability any real predator cue with a 314-2 shaft is the best playing cue I have ever picked up in my entire life. I am almost embarrassed to say it.

Rivhardo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
best hitting for me

Chris Nitti, wonderful hitting cue. Can't wait for my second one.

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
You are evil. :) so you want to go on record with TW as your choice?

Lol...figured you'd appreciate that bit of humor. :eek:

The best hitting cue I ever played with was a buddy's Skip Weston cue....seriously....it was a monster player !!

Slow Eddie

I only look Filipino.
Silver Member
The best cue of all time is my 1990 Phillippi Custom.

That is, until I played with a 2011 Mike Gulyassy Custom.

So, the best cue of all time is my 2011 Mike Gulyassy Custom.

That is, until I played with a Hadj Cues blank, finished by Tony Bautista, with a Pre-Cat 314 shaft.

So, the best cue of all time is that one.

That is, until my Lee Peppers Hoppe comes in later this year....

Personal preference, YMMV, yadda yadda yadda.

But for me, right now, the PredaHadjiTista frankencue gets my nod :thumbup:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I think its only fair and more importantly accurate to list the best production cues with their own shafts and custom cues with the same...putting a low deflection shaft with a Kamui tip is not how either cue came so that would not be accurate I would do production: Lucasi, Fury, Joss, Cuetec McDermott, Mezz, OB, Schon, Meucci, Viking, Predator on production and way too many to list on Custom..but all should be the complete cue with its own shaft even on custom..if its Scruggs (when he made them) or Tascarella...etc.. it should be with the shafts they make you for that cue and decide which is the best hitting cue with all original components.

I think people should list whatever they would keep if they were forced to give up everything else. Economists say that such choices bring out the real market value of things. So if the combination that a person would keep all their life is a Wal-Mart special with an OB shaft then that's what I want to hear.

How sad it is that one of the best hitting cues I've used was a cheap "Vintage" brand cue with a Le Pro tip. From what I could tell it appeared to be a cheap Chinese made cue or knock off but it played as good or better than any actual custom I had owned.

Is that your choice? Unknown import cue?

I agree that people have varying degrees of experience. I used this fact to evaluate the Fury cues back in 2003 when asked to help sell them. I let people play with them and gave much more weight to what the good players said. And I know you can't help to enter into any conversation with me without some sort of insult or outright lie but I play good enough when I want to. Good enough have run 98 after only the first week of practicing straight pool. But like you my claimed high run is not on video and so must be relegated to the category of fish stories.

Hit wise the "family" southwest cue that I have hits better than any cue I have ever picked up. A plain jane lambros I played with a while back is a close second.

When it comes to playability any real predator cue with a 314-2 shaft is the best playing cue I have ever picked up in my entire life. I am almost embarrassed to say it.

So which one is your choice, the keeper above all others?

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
The best cue of all time is my 1990 Phillippi Custom.

That is, until I played with a 2011 Mike Gulyassy Custom.

So, the best cue of all time is my 2011 Mike Gulyassy Custom.

That is, until I played with a Hadj Cues blank, finished by Tony Bautista, with a Pre-Cat 314 shaft.

So, the best cue of all time is that one.

That is, until my Lee Peppers Hoppe comes in later this year....

Personal preference, YMMV, yadda yadda yadda.

But for me, right now, the PredaHadjiTista frankencue gets my nod :thumbup:

The question is out of all the cues you are intimate with which one would you keep if you were only allowed to have one for the rest of your life?

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will go with my ivory and camatillo KIKEL! It is without a doubt the finest billiard cue I have ever played with. Of course there is always something new on the horizon....:eek:

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Originally Posted by wrldpro

Jb Wrote
I agree that people have varying degrees of experience. I used this fact to evaluate the Fury cues back in 2003 when asked to help sell them. I let people play with them and gave much more weight to what the good players said. And I know you can't help to enter into any conversation with me without some sort of insult or outright lie but I play good enough when I want to. Good enough have run 98 after only the first week of practicing straight pool. But like you my claimed high run is not on video and so must be relegated to the category of fish stories

Wrldpro Wrote
Fish stories?That would be you not me.I have started to post many videos up now and many good ones we are holding back to figure how to distribute them.You could go to youtube and watch them but not under your usual youtube account as i blocked you.I dont know 5 players that can run 100 balls that have ever recorded their practice but I do know of someone that likes to record videos looking stupid.
For the record I would bet you and only you wouldnt ever post a video of your skills playing and you couldnt run 50 balls.Also it has been said you could never make your own case from start to finish including the interior on your own.Why dont you post a video of you and only you making a complete interior and exterior of a case and tooling,colors and finish all on your own with out the use of any help or premade leather patterns to include full assembly and sewing also.
Im sure you have alot of money and dont need the business but it would increase your sales and any doubters but im sure you will dodge it and twist it around somehow but if you do it then congrats to you.I have released some videos of me playing that arent fish stories like you said.BTW I went to every IPT event where there was more money on the line that any pool events ever and was Nick Varners coach/cornerman for each event so do you really think a 8 time world champion like Nick varner would have a person in his corner to help make very important shot decisions for him that played like a shortstop.Send Varner an email through nickvarner.com if you doubt me and he will respond.
So release a video unedited of you actually making a complete case from start to finish every detail with no excuses or help from anybody else and it could prove you of being something more than a sweatshop shortstop and actually a casemaker .no hard feelings jB as its a chance to show your capabilities.If you decline then everyone will know you can not do it.

Last edited:

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A cue maker from Pennsylvania.

Szamboti, Gus. It is a 57" Hoppe cue.

Truly a great cue.

Ken