Are lefty pool players really that uncommon? What's so special about them?

Kadillac

Registered
I am right handed. I write, eat, throw, do everything right handed...except play pool and shoot a gun. I am a lefty shooter. I'm as awkward as a fish out of water if I try to shoot right handed. I don't know why I naturally shoot left handed. It's a weird deal. I have no idea why, but people always seem to be fascinated that I am a lefty shooter, like it's some special thing. What's the deal with the fascination? :rolleyes:

spliced

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm the exact same as you. I don't know why. Historically there are a lot of great left handed players. People have mentioned that lefty's use the creative side of their brains more. I'm artistically inclined so I'd say thats true for me.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I am right handed. I write, eat, throw, do everything right handed...except play pool and shoot a gun. I am a lefty shooter. I'm as awkward as a fish out of water if I try to shoot right handed. I don't know why I naturally shoot left handed. It's a weird deal. I have no idea why, but people always seem to be fascinated that I am a lefty shooter, like it's some special thing. What's the deal with the fascination? :rolleyes:

Makes no sense at all. The best player of the last 35 years, Mike Sigel, shot lefty. The only fascinating thing about Mike was his skill.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
I've always heard that about 10% of the populace is left handed.
Maybe it's just me, but left handed pool players seem to have a more graceful stroke than the righties. :smile:

RobertaAgnor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm left handed and shoot lefty, I don't know why people are always fascinated by lefties.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

tryin2playagain

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I am the same as you except I do eat left handed. Do you use your right hand when using a bridge? What about jumping with a dart stroke? Jayson shaw is the same way. Notice he uses his right hand when using a bridge.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
I dunno, if one is better than the other, but I know one thing ... I'd give my left arm to be ambidextrous.

Banks

Banned
Same here. Righty.. shoots lefty.

Just noticed.. As Tryin says, I shoot righty if I have to use a bridge and righty if I have to use a dart stroke with a jump cue. Although, I can shoot righty not too bad, so I very rarely have to use a bridge.

Txstang1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Because only left handed people are in their right mind ;)

My wife is ambidextrous though, she shoots with hands, depending on where the cueball is. I'm very jealous of that too !!!!! lol

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Nothing special about em. There are a few around Arizona that are lefties, Mitch Ellerman and Scott Frost just to name a couple.

One thing for sure, if you Scotch partner is lefty, you have to think about what shape to leave em. ;)

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back in the day you could walk into The Pocket Billiard Lounge on West State Street in Binghamton, NY on a Saturday afternoon and see five-handed ring game, all lefte-handers.

cajunbarboxplyr

Beatem down wit a Varney
Silver Member
I am right handed. Do everything right handed but play left handed!!!! Thats what I get from watching Mike Sigel lol. I cant hit a ball right handed for nothing!

Kadillac

Registered
I have never used a bridge in my life. :) lol

I am the same as you except I do eat left handed. Do you use your right hand when using a bridge? What about jumping with a dart stroke? Jayson shaw is the same way. Notice he uses his right hand when using a bridge.

Chicagoplayer

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Also-

-A

Chicagoplayer

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am also right handed but shoot pool and strum guitar left(requiring me to flip the guitar) but am learning to develop right handed stroke. But I stroke the bridge using right hand-couldn't do it left handed. Hard wiring is crossed. My brother is just the opposite of me! Makes it strange to figure dominant eye contribution to aiming.
Mike Sigel is right handed but shoots left handed and Vegas player Jamaican Aaron has remarkable proficiency with both hands too!
Rock on and be as you are!
-A :grin:

Kadillac

Registered
I get what you're saying about being cross wired. I almost always unintentionally put english on the cue ball, but I have a weird wrist flick and crazy follow through that compensates for it. I've been told I have a strange shot lol.

I am also right handed but shoot pool and strum guitar left(requiring me to flip the guitar) but am learning to develop right handed stroke. But I stroke the bridge using right hand-couldn't do it left handed. Hard wiring is crossed. My brother is just the opposite of me! Makes it strange to figure dominant eye contribution to aiming.
Mike Sigel is right handed but shoots left handed and Vegas player Jamaican Aaron has remarkable proficiency with both hands too!
Rock on and be as you are!
-A :grin:

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
I eat left handed, write with my right hand. I play all sports, except pool and rifle shooting, right handed. I play pool and shoot a rifle left handed. I use most tools left handed but can use them right handed. I think I am naturally left handed and was made to change in school.... which is why I've always been pissed off at authority figures.