2 Rotation Qs

MapleMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was reading the BCA rule app and saw 2 rules I have never heard of. Has anybody else played with them?

1. If a ball is not pocketed on the break the opposing player can
a. shoot at the lowest ball with the cue in hand behind the head string
b. Have the balls reracked and break the balls himself

2. Shots after fouls and scratches can be passed to the other player.

I learned how to play rotation from my father who is not a rule expert. I'm sure everybody plays differently. Are these rules new?

MapleMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are there any strategies regarding intentional fouling when using the pass back rule on a foul. These days most people play with BIH anywhere so I guess it is not common to use the previous rules posted. Anybody still play rotation?

Magog30

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes I still play. I don't play with the same break rules you were mentioning but do play the pass back option after a foul. Intentionally fouling strategy would be similar to pushing out strategy in 9 ball.

Magog30

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The break rule you were mentioning only applies when the break does not cause 4 object balls to contact a rail or an object ball pocketed. (Open break)

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Games and rules

Are there any strategies regarding intentional fouling when using the pass back rule on a foul. These days most people play with BIH anywhere so I guess it is not common to use the previous rules posted. Anybody still play rotation?

Yes, rotation has always been popular in other parts of the world, and of course, 9-ball and 10-ball are rotation games.

The BCA has come out with an updated 2014 Rules & Records Book. Great thing to have with you, if it fits in your cue case.