Unusual or "outside the box" engineering.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Joe Porper conceived this idea in the mid-90's. I helped him figure out how to make it work, and eventually he had two cues at the '98 Gallery of American Cue Art show in NYC that utilized the principle. Ultimately, however, the difficulty of obtaining a "perfect" bond between flat surfaces of hard plastic and wood made him decide to drop the technique. But the few cues he did produce with the process were quite interesting.

TW

Sounds fascinating.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I posted about the "impossible dovetail" in another thread.

That got me thinking about points.

I wonder what it would look like if the points were dovetailed in? I mean lengthwise.

Of course, one could do dovetails in the other direction as well.

Could lead to a strangely shaped point, no?. Has anybody done it?

I also thought that clear points could be done that way without glue. An interference fitting with the point slid up into a dovetailed channel that gets progressively smaller. Then when the A joint is screwed together it could hold the points in with no glue. If tight tolerances were maintained it might work and not buzz or anything.

I know, maybe I am nuts. :grin-square::embarrassed2::p

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I posted about the "impossible dovetail" in another thread.

That got me thinking about points.

I wonder what it would look like if the points were dovetailed in? I mean lengthwise.

Of course, one could do dovetails in the other direction as well.

Could lead to a strangely shaped point, no?. Has anybody done it?

I also thought that clear points could be done that way without glue. An interference fitting with the point slid up into a dovetailed channel that gets progressively smaller. Then when the A joint is screwed together it could hold the points in with no glue. If tight tolerances were maintained it might work and not buzz or anything.

I know, maybe I am nuts. :grin-square::embarrassed2::p

Look up a Half- Rabbeted Scarf joint. I wanted to do a cue with this joining technique. Imagine that turned round...

As for the dovetail idea, I really don't see the point ;)

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Look up a Half- Rabbeted Scarf joint. I wanted to do a cue with this joining technique. Imagine that turned round...

As for the dovetail idea, I really don't see the point ;)

The point? LOL! Just odd, different. And I am intrigued by joinery. Especially joinery that requires little or no adhesives or additional fasteners.

Half- Rabbeted Scarf joint? Can't imagine it turned round but it would definitely be different!

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To answer the question "Why?" regarding the dovetail I would say mechanical integrity.

A tapered dovetail machined to high tolerances might even be able to go without adhesives and be held in under compression at the A joint by the handle wood. Going without any adhesive was not the goal until the notion of a transparent point came up.

Imagine a transparent point done this way, perhaps with a colored layer under it like a vinyl or a stained veneer. No adhesives to disturb the transparency of the material.

I am sort of fantasizing on a variety of this sort of thing and have been wondering what kind of constructions might be out there that cue makers have played with that I may not have seen.

Of course, some interesting effects could be had depending on how it is done. And the transparent point was not where I started with this, it only came to mind when transparent veneers were mentioned.

If we don't see any further examples posted here then I guess it might be better for me to take up the conversation more directly with the cue makers. Maybe I would need to initiate a project.

I do appreciate the contributions thus far very much.

I think much of what we have seen are simple variations on standard cue construction methods. I was hoping to see something very different. Of course, my notions may be wacky, but it was worth a shot.

In particular I am fascinated with joinery and ways that it can be introduced into cue construction that may not have been done or at least have been rarely seen. Forearm and butt sleeve construction seem to be fertile ground for some thought in this matter. Maybe even shatter the notion of what a forearm or butt sleeve is. Maybe even in the handle. Or even mutate the entire notion of that basic cue anatomy.

I am still interested if anybody comes up with something more.

Thank you for the posts thus far. :smile:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
To answer the question "Why?" regarding the dovetail I would say mechanical integrity.

A tapered dovetail machined to high tolerances might even be able to go without adhesives and be held in under compression at the A joint by the handle wood. Going without any adhesive was not the goal until the notion of a transparent point came up.

Imagine a transparent point done this way, perhaps with a colored layer under it like a vinyl or a stained veneer. No adhesives to disturb the transparency of the material.

I am sort of fantasizing on a variety of this sort of thing and have been wondering what kind of constructions might be out there that cue makers have played with that I may not have seen.

Of course, some interesting effects could be had depending on how it is done. And the transparent point was not where I started with this, it only came to mind when transparent veneers were mentioned.

If we don't see any further examples posted here then I guess it might be better for me to take up the conversation more directly with the cue makers. Maybe I would need to initiate a project.

I do appreciate the contributions thus far very much.

I think much of what we have seen are simple variations on standard cue construction methods. I was hoping to see something very different. Of course, my notions may be wacky, but it was worth a shot.

In particular I am fascinated with joinery and ways that it can be introduced into cue construction that may not have been done or at least have been rarely seen. Forearm and butt sleeve construction seem to be fertile ground for some thought in this matter. Maybe even shatter the notion of what a forearm or butt sleeve is. Maybe even in the handle. Or even mutate the entire notion of that basic cue anatomy.

I am still interested if anybody comes up with something more.

Thank you for the posts thus far. :smile:

Finger joints as A-joints have been done.
Joss and Viking come to mind.
Done when the pieces are still square or way oversized.
Joss has quit doing it and have switched to threaded cores at the bottom for the A-joint.
Handle-parts-672x372-300x166.jpg

Frankly, that is more stable than finger joints.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Finger joints as A-joints have been done.
Joss and Viking come to mind.
Done when the pieces are still square or way oversized.
Joss has quit doing it and have switched to threaded cores at the bottom for the A-joint.
Handle-parts-672x372-300x166.jpg

Frankly, that is more stable than finger joints.

Yes, I am aware of that. Janes played around with the finger joints. Probably the most prominent application was in the old Joss break cues.

Not a very nice looking result, but interesting.

Incidentally I do like the Joss stepped and threaded core. It seems to make sense to me. He calls it the most expensive piece of wood in his shop because of the years of experience and development behind it.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Yes, I am aware of that. Janes played around with the finger joints. Probably the most prominent application was in the old Joss break cues.

Not a very nice looking result, but interesting.

Incidentally I do like the Joss stepped and threaded core. It seems to make sense to me. He calls it the most expensive piece of wood in his shop because of the years of experience and development behind it.

I think the finger joint was the most expensive one.
I bet they had to throw a lot of cues because of that joint.

The threaded core is very very stable .
It was an easy switch to me years ago.

engineering

Does anyone realize that the screw and the thread between the shaft and the butt of the cue Is the what and where the connection is. Flat faced, piloted,squeeze fit. Mill my own inserts, the ones you buy are shit. If you use the crappy brass inserts for .99 cents you should reacccess the cuemaker you are dealing with.
Real info.
Robert Harris

LGSM3

Jake<built cues for fun
Silver Member
Does anyone realize that the screw and the thread between the shaft and the butt of the cue Is the what and where the connection is. Flat faced, piloted,squeeze fit. Mill my own inserts, the ones you buy are shit. If you use the crappy brass inserts for .99 cents you should reacccess the cuemaker you are dealing with.
Real info.
Robert Harris

how bout the connection of the cork back to the bottle? Or maybe a little tighter connection of the mask to the face when spraying?

Guerra Cues

I build one cue at a time
Silver Member
Unusual or &quot;outside the box&quot; engineering.

I thought this was the cue gallery....

Last edited:

Rubikong

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Joe Porper conceived this idea in the mid-90's. I helped him figure out how to make it work, and eventually he had two cues at the '98 Gallery of American Cue Art show in NYC that utilized the principle. Ultimately, however, the difficulty of obtaining a "perfect" bond between flat surfaces of hard plastic and wood made him decide to drop the technique. But the few cues he did produce with the process were quite interesting.

TW

Do you have the pics? Maybe today somebody could implants LED lights inside that makes the clear veneer lights up. Maybe make it translucent in color that's lights?? Do think is possible ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thomas Wayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you have the pics? Maybe today somebody could implants LED lights inside that makes the clear veneer lights up. Maybe make it translucent in color that's lights?? Do think is possible ?

No pics.

TW

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about a 4 point full splice butterfly? Not double butterfly. Four point full splice. I am sure it can be done. Never seen one.

The butterflies would be long and narrow most likely. With veneers would be a bonus.....

Anything?

Rubikong

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about a 4 point full splice butterfly? Not double butterfly. Four point full splice. I am sure it can be done. Never seen one.

The butterflies would be long and narrow most likely. With veneers would be a bonus.....

Anything?

9f76e89ecd31866279378fb48e8a41e6.jpg

This is 4 points butterfly with 4 points recut splice by Eric Crips

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Holy crap!

Nice!

Maintaining centers would not be easy. Even butterflies. Nice!

And razor sharp on the bottom!

Last edited:

Rubikong

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Holy crap!

Nice!

Maintaining centers would not be easy. Even butterflies. Nice!

And razor sharp on the bottom!

Yes ! I look at the cue for four days trying to figure out how Eric did it. Not a single veneer all re-cuts. The reverse point? Where the four points butterfly intersect are dead perfect even.
The question is how he cut the butterfly perfect to a solid ebony handle???
dd7ad906831f93203244cffbd4cc7267.jpg
eb4c9596be54a7dd241747613519ae2d.jpg

Rubikong

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unusual or &quot;outside the box&quot; engineering.

Can't really explain it by photographs. I wish I could put video here.
Is like perfect full spliced butterfly? New term for new innovation?

Last edited: