Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page How level is "level" for pool tables?
Page 4 of 13 « First 234 56 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#46)
smashmouth
AzB Silver Member
smashmouth has a reputation beyond reputesmashmouth has a reputation beyond reputesmashmouth has a reputation beyond reputesmashmouth has a reputation beyond reputesmashmouth has a reputation beyond reputesmashmouth has a reputation beyond reputesmashmouth has a reputation beyond reputesmashmouth has a reputation beyond reputesmashmouth has a reputation beyond reputesmashmouth has a reputation beyond reputesmashmouth has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

06-03-2019, 03:45 PM

there is a very recent bbc video featuring the table mechanics who set up the world snooker championship tables

worth searching for

my memory could be off but I believe they suggested a tolerance less that the thickness of a sheet of paper proven via an engineer's level

Old
  (#47)
sbpoolleague
World's #1 League Website
sbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond repute

06-03-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jviss View Post
Thanks for your reply. I think this is the first one that articulates a specification for level for the table, which you state, if I interpret it correctly, is 0,01. If my trig serves me well, that's 0.002"/ft., which I think is too strict; it's less than the sensitivity of the machinist's level the pros use, which is 0.005"/ft. So, maybe you are off my a decimal point? A spec of 0.1 would be 0.021"/ft., which seems more reasonable to me, and corresponds to what I read in the Brunswick Gold Crown I 1961 service manual. )The Starrett model 98, 8", 0.005"/ft. level goes for about $150, new.)
You are right, I was off by a decimal point.

The WPA specs say "overall flatness within + .020 inches [.508 mm] lengthwise and + .010 inches [.254 mm] across the width"

Width of a regulation table is 54".
That makes the tolerance angle = arctan(0.1" / 54") = arctan(0.001852) = 0.106 degrees.

Still, the engineering levels are good enough but the regular store-bought levels are not.

Old
  (#48)
sbpoolleague
sbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond repute

06-03-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jviss View Post
How did you come up with this?

You are confusing the specification for flatness of the slate with level of the playing surface.
Maybe I am confusing flatness with level here. But in the end, once you have a good slate, it's the level that you are worried about.

How did I come up with that? The online specs for the 12" level state 0.005". Since a regulation table is 4.5 times the width of the level, simply multiply 0.005" by 4.5 to get 0.0225".

Old
  (#49)
sbpoolleague

06-03-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garczar View Post
And you're worried about WPA specs???? Please. Every top mechanic i've ever seen uses 12" machinists levels. Mark Gregory sometimes uses six at a time.
You are right. Machinists levels are fine. I thought they were, and when I did my math and it showed they weren't, I was confused. I was off by a decimal point.

That doesn't detract from my main point in that an inexpensive store-bought level is never good enough to level a table.

Old
  (#50)
spktur
AzB Silver Member
spktur has a reputation beyond reputespktur has a reputation beyond reputespktur has a reputation beyond reputespktur has a reputation beyond reputespktur has a reputation beyond reputespktur has a reputation beyond reputespktur has a reputation beyond reputespktur has a reputation beyond reputespktur has a reputation beyond reputespktur has a reputation beyond reputespktur has a reputation beyond repute

06-03-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbpoolleague View Post

The WPA specs say "overall flatness within + .020 inches [.508 mm] lengthwise and + .010 inches [.254 mm] across the width"

That makes the tolerance angle = arctan(0.1" / 54") = arctan(0.001852) = 0.106 degrees.

Still, the engineering levels are good enough but the regular store-bought levels are not.
The correct dimension of the playing surface of a regulation 9 foot table is 50" x 100". Anything outside this would be under the rail.

Old
  (#51)
9 Ball Fan
Darth Maximus
9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute

06-03-2019, 04:09 PM

This is a surprisingly good thread. Very informative, vigorous discussion.

I'm almost surprised no one has tried to dump on the thread yet...

Great topic!!!

Old
  (#52)
jviss
AzB Silver Member
jviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond repute

06-03-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9 Ball Fan View Post
This is a surprisingly good thread. Very informative, vigorous discussion.

I'm almost surprised no one has tried to dump on the thread yet...

Great topic!!!
Yes, thank goodness.

So, we've had a level discussion, but not much on a spec for the level of a table. I'm surprised this didn't appear in the WPA equipment standards, which are internationalized.

I am getting the impression that when pros set up tables using the right tools they get them well within the range that is undetectable while playing.

Old
  (#53)
Rubik's Cube
Pool ball collector.
Rubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond repute

06-03-2019, 04:21 PM

Good evening, everyone.

The best method for me is to use a laser level. I place five steel measuring rules on the baize, one at each corner pocket and one in the centre of the table. I like the way this then allows tiny adjustments to be made until all five laser beams give an identical reading.

Best wishes,
RC.

use something like this
Old
  (#54)
zencues.com
Love to Win Hate to Lose
zencues.com has a reputation beyond reputezencues.com has a reputation beyond reputezencues.com has a reputation beyond reputezencues.com has a reputation beyond reputezencues.com has a reputation beyond reputezencues.com has a reputation beyond reputezencues.com has a reputation beyond reputezencues.com has a reputation beyond reputezencues.com has a reputation beyond reputezencues.com has a reputation beyond reputezencues.com has a reputation beyond repute

use something like this - 06-03-2019, 04:22 PM

use something like this, get close, be happy, learn to play the roll

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...1T8/ezvid02-20

Old
  (#55)
ThinSlice
Banned
ThinSlice has a reputation beyond reputeThinSlice has a reputation beyond reputeThinSlice has a reputation beyond reputeThinSlice has a reputation beyond reputeThinSlice has a reputation beyond reputeThinSlice has a reputation beyond reputeThinSlice has a reputation beyond reputeThinSlice has a reputation beyond reputeThinSlice has a reputation beyond reputeThinSlice has a reputation beyond reputeThinSlice has a reputation beyond repute

06-03-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
That makes no sense whatsoever. So you cherried out the level on the naked table...then what? You have to lift the slate out, install the felt, then put the slate back, then re-level the table because you moved the slate.

Why would you have to lift the slate out? What type of table are you referring to that you would have to lift the slate out?

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Old
  (#56)
poolhustler
AzB Silver Member
poolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 3500

06-03-2019, 04:37 PM

I just do construction, so I deal with 1/8" per foot in 10 ft and 1/4" per foot so shit rolls downhill... the table levelling stuff... I leave that to the pro's

"Then again...you may be the Antichrist"

Old
  (#57)
9 Ball Fan
Darth Maximus
9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute

06-03-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinSlice View Post
Why would you have to lift the slate out? What type of table are you referring to that you would have to lift the slate out?

He probably means a coin op, barbox table?

Old
  (#58)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

06-03-2019, 04:38 PM

Quote:

Isn't there a mismatch there (in red) - making the angle 0.0106 degrees?

pj
chgo

Old
  (#59)
ThinSlice
Banned
ThinSlice has a reputation beyond reputeThinSlice has a reputation beyond reputeThinSlice has a reputation beyond reputeThinSlice has a reputation beyond reputeThinSlice has a reputation beyond reputeThinSlice has a reputation beyond reputeThinSlice has a reputation beyond reputeThinSlice has a reputation beyond reputeThinSlice has a reputation beyond reputeThinSlice has a reputation beyond reputeThinSlice has a reputation beyond repute

06-03-2019, 04:38 PM

Quote:
On a 7' table you do.

Never seen a table you have to lift the slate out of and if that would be the case then its probably not a table you would be overly concerned about thousands of an inch leveling. Love a picture of that 7.

Old
  (#60)
jviss
AzB Silver Member
jviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond repute

06-03-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zencues.com View Post
use something like this, get close, be happy, learn to play the roll

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...1T8/ezvid02-20
There may come a day when these inexpensive electronic levels are sensitive enough for this job, but I don't think we're there yet. For a digital display I think you'd need to resolve thousandths of an inch per foot. These are typically hundredths.

Page 4 of 13 « First 234 56 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: