9 Ball Ball in Hand Spot

SuHua

I was hoping some one might be able to explain to me why the 9 ball is spotted if you pot and scratch on the last ball? Ball in hand on a ball on the spot seems somewhat silly. Unless I'm missing something.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was hoping some one might be able to explain to me why the 9 ball is spotted if you pot and scratch on the last ball? Ball in hand on a ball on the spot seems somewhat silly. Unless I'm missing something.

Why would it not be spotted?

Wouldn't it be more silly to be able to win the game without doing what it takes to win (make the 9...or 3foul)?

pooln8r

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Just wanted to add that as silly as it seems, even high level pro's have missed this ball in hand shot at one time or another. The game isn't over until it's over. Like BB said...3 fouls or the 9 ball legally sunk in a pocket ends the game.

Good shooting to you!
Kevin

SuHua

I guess I can see how there is a possibility to missing a ball in hand even on the pro level. I guess I what I'm asking is why is it ball in hand and spotted in 9 ball and not in 8 ball? I'm a fairly new player and I'm just trying to understand why the rules are what they are. Not disagreeing with anything, just trying to learn more about the game

Careyp74

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess I can see how there is a possibility to missing a ball in hand even on the pro level. I guess I what I'm asking is why is it ball in hand and spotted in 9 ball and not in 8 ball? I'm a fairly new player and I'm just trying to understand why the rules are what they are. Not disagreeing with anything, just trying to learn more about the game

It would be favorable if both games gave you ball in hand and spotting the ball, but in 8 ball, if the other guy has all his balls on the table, getting the 8ball spotted would just be helpful to the one scratching.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Because the rule in 8 ball is " if you make the 8 ball out of turn, in the wrong pocket, or make it and scratch, you lose ", so no spotting of the 8 is possible unless you change the rules of the game. If the 8 ball drops you have either won or lost, no way to continue play unless it's some odd situation like someone walked by the table and hit the 8 ball in or hit your cue as you are about to shoot.