Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page surprising good news I wouldn't have thought.

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
surprising good news I wouldn't have thought.
Old
  (#1)
bfdlad
T-Wheels
bfdlad has a reputation beyond reputebfdlad has a reputation beyond reputebfdlad has a reputation beyond reputebfdlad has a reputation beyond reputebfdlad has a reputation beyond reputebfdlad has a reputation beyond reputebfdlad has a reputation beyond reputebfdlad has a reputation beyond reputebfdlad has a reputation beyond reputebfdlad has a reputation beyond reputebfdlad has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

surprising good news I wouldn't have thought. - 01-28-2015, 10:47 AM

Like a few people I have been of the impression that pool is fading away and the youth of today have little interest in the game. Fewer and fewer of our youth in the USA seem to have any involvement. Well that's been my opinion with little real knowledge on stats etc.

So I was approached by a troop leader of the Boy Scouts of America and although I don't have all the details basically he said that his troop was given the opportunity to learn a new sport and asked to decide what it would be. Overwhelmingly they all wanted to learn how to play pool. So he asked if I could set something up for them to have a few hours of tuition. So maybe pool is not as obscure and out of the minds of the youth as I thought. These are probably real beginners so I can probably help them out with basics, also Scott Frost does not know this yet but I am going to get him involved too as he is here in Arizona and he has been doing a lot of things with the kids these days.

Just wanted to let you all know and who knows maybe there is something there for the Boy Scouts of America on a larger scale to get these kids involved. Oh an yeah I will be hitting up some of you for sponsorship in the way of starter cues to give the kids. Anyone else see this as an untapped intro to pool for the juniors or am I reading too much into it? Maybe they get a merit badge for billiards

Mark Cantrill
Legends and Champions Pool Tour
480-612-7732

Old
  (#2)
DAVE_M
AzB Silver Member
DAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond reputeDAVE_M has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

01-28-2015, 10:59 AM

Sounds like great news to me!

2pack Dave - World Class "C Player"
My man crush Monday is Matt Spina

Old
  (#3)
bdorman
Dead money
bdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond repute

01-28-2015, 11:27 AM

Interesting. Any idea what their other choices were?

The more I practice, the luckier I get. --- Gary Player

I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it. --- Abraham Lincoln

Judge a man by his questions rather than by his answers. --- Voltaire

Old
  (#4)
bfdlad
T-Wheels
bfdlad has a reputation beyond reputebfdlad has a reputation beyond reputebfdlad has a reputation beyond reputebfdlad has a reputation beyond reputebfdlad has a reputation beyond reputebfdlad has a reputation beyond reputebfdlad has a reputation beyond reputebfdlad has a reputation beyond reputebfdlad has a reputation beyond reputebfdlad has a reputation beyond reputebfdlad has a reputation beyond repute

01-28-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdorman View Post
Interesting. Any idea what their other choices were?
No, I am not sure they had choices it was something that they were to just choose themselves from what I can gather.
It's not like I really know the troop leader either, never spoke about pool with him but he knows I am or have been involved.

Mark Cantrill
480-612-7732

Old
  (#5)
pwd72s
recreational banger
pwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond repute

01-28-2015, 11:36 AM

That is some good news...thanks for the post. Hmmm, if this reaches merit badge status...

Old
  (#6)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

Scott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

01-28-2015, 11:40 AM

While Scott is a great choice, you're doing the kids a disservice if you don't involve Jerry Briesath. He's one of the top instructors in the world, and has been working with kids for many decades. He also lives in Phoenix in the winter.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdlad View Post
Like a few people I have been of the impression that pool is fading away and the youth of today have little interest in the game. Fewer and fewer of our youth in the USA seem to have any involvement. Well that's been my opinion with little real knowledge on stats etc.

So I was approached by a troop leader of the Boy Scouts of America and although I don't have all the details basically he said that his troop was given the opportunity to learn a new sport and asked to decide what it would be. Overwhelmingly they all wanted to learn how to play pool. So he asked if I could set something up for them to have a few hours of tuition. So maybe pool is not as obscure and out of the minds of the youth as I thought. These are probably real beginners so I can probably help them out with basics, also Scott Frost does not know this yet but I am going to get him involved too as he is here in Arizona and he has been doing a lot of things with the kids these days.

Just wanted to let you all know and who knows maybe there is something there for the Boy Scouts of America on a larger scale to get these kids involved. Oh an yeah I will be hitting up some of you for sponsorship in the way of starter cues to give the kids. Anyone else see this as an untapped intro to pool for the juniors or am I reading too much into it? Maybe they get a merit badge for billiards

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#7)
bfdlad
T-Wheels

01-28-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Lee View Post
While Scott is a great choice, you're doing the kids a disservice if you don't involve Jerry Briesath. He's one of the top instructors in the world, and has been working with kids for many decades. He also lives in Phoenix in the winter.

Scott Lee
Scott, I don't know Jerry believe it or not and so it never occurred to even think about him to ask him to work for free. As things progress I will for sure keep it in mind and see where he is in AZ etc. I know Roger Long lives here and attends events at Bullshooters. If I remember right he is also an instructor. Its amazing send me to another state and I know more people than I do in my own town lol. Thanks for the advice Scott.

Mark Cantrill
480-612-7732

Old
  (#8)
bfdlad
T-Wheels

01-28-2015, 11:46 AM

Also just to be clear, Nobody is getting paid for this.

Mark Cantrill
480-612-7732

Old
  (#9)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

01-28-2015, 06:57 PM

Very cool Mark, hope everyone has fun doing this. Maybe they can get a league started somewhere after this to continue playing.

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Old
  (#10)
Allen Brown
Pool Whale
Allen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond reputeAllen Brown has a reputation beyond repute

01-28-2015, 07:11 PM

Mark, do you have a hall that allows kids through the doors?
I have a cue I can send when this gets going.

Old
  (#11)
pool101
AzB Gold Member
pool101 has a reputation beyond reputepool101 has a reputation beyond reputepool101 has a reputation beyond reputepool101 has a reputation beyond reputepool101 has a reputation beyond reputepool101 has a reputation beyond reputepool101 has a reputation beyond reputepool101 has a reputation beyond reputepool101 has a reputation beyond reputepool101 has a reputation beyond reputepool101 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

01-28-2015, 07:17 PM

Great news, if it sparks interest in one or two that is a start. You never know where it will go! I never would have thought a custodian in a Jr High could have gotten a billiards program in school, but I did. I would still be at it if my back would have held out..
Let me know if I can help Mark.
Mark

Old
  (#12)
Quesports
AzB Silver Member
Quesports has a reputation beyond reputeQuesports has a reputation beyond reputeQuesports has a reputation beyond reputeQuesports has a reputation beyond reputeQuesports has a reputation beyond reputeQuesports has a reputation beyond reputeQuesports has a reputation beyond reputeQuesports has a reputation beyond reputeQuesports has a reputation beyond reputeQuesports has a reputation beyond reputeQuesports has a reputation beyond repute

01-28-2015, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Lee View Post

Scott Lee
AGREED 100%. I've taken lessons from Scott, Randy G and Mark Wilson. Jerry Briesath would be my very next choice for lessons... His video A Pool Lesson is one of the best available..

Old
  (#13)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

Scott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

01-28-2015, 10:13 PM

That's true! A Pool Lesson with Jerry Briesath is a must have for any player. Great 3-disc set loaded with tons of information. Mark Wilson is the demonstrator. For anyone interested, I have Jerry's dvd set for sale for less than anyone else out there. PM me if you want one.

Scott Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quesports View Post
AGREED 100%. I've taken lessons from Scott, Randy G and Mark Wilson. Jerry Briesath would be my very next choice for lessons... His video A Pool Lesson is one of the best available..

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#14)
Charlie Hustle
AzB Silver Member
Charlie Hustle has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie Hustle has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie Hustle has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie Hustle has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie Hustle has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie Hustle has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie Hustle has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie Hustle has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie Hustle has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie Hustle has a reputation beyond reputeCharlie Hustle has a reputation beyond repute

01-28-2015, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Brown View Post
Mark, do you have a hall that allows kids through the doors?
I have a cue I can send when this gets going.
Must spread rep around before I can give you anymore brother.

"U told me you wanna go on the road for a month...if we can't go to Charlie's house and beat him, we cant go nowhere" - David Parker

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: