Unusual or "outside the box" engineering.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am wondering what people might be able to post that are unusual or "outside the box" designs. Not just stylistically, but engineering-wise. Construction techniques maybe. Odd splicing methods. Odd tapers. Odd joints. Odd materials?

I am "old school" in my personal preferences but other stuff does fascinate me.

Bob Renis comes to mind for me. Very obviously outside traditional.

Pin in shaft? Spain, obviously. Not so crazy anyway. Not sure that it matters anyway.

Superjoint, double threaded? Viking of course. Looks heavy. Coolness factor for sure.

Finger splices...Janes in the early 90's and likely others anyway. Ugly, boring.

Layani "cone" joint? I think Ricco Cervantes did that first anyway...and that is too well known and in production.

Maybe something experimental?

Flat and radial lamination? I am not talking about that. Obviously that was done a long time before the neophytes think. Carbon fiber? No, I am not talking about the new Predator.

I am talking about stuff thought up by U.S. cue makers and turned on a lathe that is obviously different.

Different core ideas? We have seen fully threaded cores and stepped cores...but I want things that are obvious when you see it.

Anything?

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The use of "black paper" between veneers.

The practice of "bridged veneers" (I started a thread on this one)

Ken

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The use of "black paper" between veneers.

The practice of "bridged veneers" (I started a thread on this one)

Ken

Possible examples of what I mean. We could put vinyl veneers in the same category.

I am hoping for some things even more "outside the box".

I am hoping to be surprised by something...with pictures. :D That's why I posted in the gallery.

Thomas Wayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Possible examples of what I mean. We could put vinyl veneers in the same category.

I am hoping for some things even more "outside the box".

I am hoping to be surprised by something...with pictures. :D That's why I posted in the gallery.

Would a 5-V-point full-splice qualify? 'Cause I've done that a lot...

TW

Jon Manning

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A buddy of mine has a laminated handle cue, I remember seeing the build pics. It three or four piece Ebony laminated, into BEM with veneers, sweet looking cue. I believe Nemec built it. Is that what you are looking for? I'll get so pics when I see him at the pool hall tonight.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Bill Hagan's cross lamination and use of stags come to mind.
DPK's curved taper.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
How about wrap-around inlays?
Who was the first?

Not sure if this would be considered but George Balabushka had a request to have a black white indexed ring put in under the points without cutting the full splice forearm. He made the ring and cut it in half to install it and you couldn't tell where the seam was. I would guess this wasn't the first of this tyupe but it's a cool story.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure if this would be considered but George Balabushka had a request to have a black white indexed ring put in under the points without cutting the full splice forearm. He made the ring and cut it in half to install it and you couldn't tell where the seam was. I would guess this wasn't the first of this tyupe but it's a cool story.

It is a cool story. I think it does fit the idea.

I am thinking of things you can see rather than things you can't.

Something that is obviously constructed/engineered/designed differently from the norm that is obvious.

Bob Renis was my primary example because his cues are so obviously different.

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A buddy of mine has a laminated handle cue, I remember seeing the build pics. It three or four piece Ebony laminated, into BEM with veneers, sweet looking cue. I believe Nemec built it. Is that what you are looking for? I'll get so pics when I see him at the pool hall tonight.

That sounds unusual.

Let's see it. :smile:

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

He did it the hard way. There is a maker that did it occam razor's way. Searing seamless veneers are at the top of this list.

Rubikong

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can anybody doing "clear veneer" like KAMUI clear pad ? Maybe to make effect like a floating color veneer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thomas Wayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can anybody doing "clear veneer" like KAMUI clear pad ? Maybe to make effect like a floating color veneer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe Porper conceived this idea in the mid-90's. I helped him figure out how to make it work, and eventually he had two cues at the '98 Gallery of American Cue Art show in NYC that utilized the principle. Ultimately, however, the difficulty of obtaining a "perfect" bond between flat surfaces of hard plastic and wood made him decide to drop the technique. But the few cues he did produce with the process were quite interesting.

TW