Scotty Townsend stories

rjbigfish

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Silver Member
He told someone that he would beat them playing with a tree limb. The guy said bet and Scotty went out behind the poolroom and took a pine sapling and whittled it down with his pocket knife for about 2 days until it was like a one piece pool cue. He didnt have a tip on it or anything like that but he proceeded to torture the guy using the limb.

Mike Davis

Silver Member
That's a good one that I hadn't heard before. Knowing him though it's not at all surprising that he not only was serious but he won the game. Thanks for sharing the story.

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Several years ago, Warren Kiamco and Scotty were in Olathe KS for a tournament. They were wolfing at each other trying to match up on the bar table. Warren offered Scotty a spot iirc the 8 ball, and Scotty told Warren I don't need no F***ing spot. He ran over Warren the only set they played. RIP Scotty players like you make this game so interesting.

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
Several years ago, Warren Kiamco and Scotty were in Olathe KS for a tournament. They were wolfing at each other trying to match up on the bar table. Warren offered Scotty a spot iirc the 8 ball, and Scotty told Warren I don't need no F***ing spot. He ran over Warren the only set they played. RIP Scotty players like you make this game so interesting.

I was there for that. Only time in my life I've seen a guy turn down a spot in a game that actually happened.

Scotty was the source of the first TAR quote shirt:

"I've never really been beaten. I just ran out of money a few times."

Only saw him a couple times but he made an impression.

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
I just found and posted the TAR Podcast Chad Pollman did with Scotty in August 2007. They talk about the Kiamco deal. I forgot about it but I guess Chad bet on Kiamco. LOL.

You can listen on the site or download the MP3 to save.

http://www.theactionreport.com/

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scotty 'hops" and runs..............................

The scene, TheBilliardPalce in Tulsa,Ok. Jim(owner and good player) had a standing offer to play any roadie who walked in a $100 set. Well,who strolls in one day? Yep, the 'gator wrestler himself. So Jim and Scotty decide on a race to 7 for the c-note on table 1, a fairly tough GC. ST wins flip, breaks and hooks himself. He rolls out to a jump, Jim lets him shoot and WHAM, Scotty hops his rock, makes it, runs out and proceeds to run the set out!!! Jim never got to hit the cueball!! Scotty hung around a while and made some pretty good scores while in town. Really down-to-earth guy with a BUNCH of funny-ass stories. RIP Scotty, you will be missed.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im not the best to tell the story but someone should-The Huey Long Bridge Caper!

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dont think i have ever been in the same room as scotty, but i damn sure know we are gonna miss him

pacain

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scotty showed up for one of our tournaments in Alexandria, La with his 4 wheeler sticking out the back of his Lincoln. Finally one of our tournaments on about his 6th or 7th try. Everybody admired him, and were glad to buy him as much as he could drink. Therefore, 6 or 7 tries. I was lucky enough to know Scotty for I guess 30 or 35 years , and counted him as a good friend. RIP buddy.

Bbutler

topshots.ca
Silver Member
Knew him and played him many times.

One time I saw him at a tournament and he had some cuts and scrapes all over his face and arms. So I asked him what happened, he says he was out with some buddies in the bush in a four-wheel drive pickup, and he's riding on the running board.

He says, all of a sudden he sees a huge buck just running along beside the truck scared out of it's mind. Had to be at least a ten-pointer.

Well, he says, I couldn't help myself, I just had to jump on him.

I'm like, what?

He says, Oh yeah, rode him pretty good, but the c**ksucker ended up dragging me though a barbed wire fence and everything. Didn't even realize until I fell off.

GreenFeltguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Allen Hopkins / Scotty

In the 80s Allan Hopkins was in New Orleans giving out ridiculous spots and winning every match, like giving Jamie Farrell 7 & break and Hopkins knew I knew Scotty well and asked me to call Scotty and see if he wants the 7. I laughed and told Hopkins that Scotty will play him even and Hopkins made me a small bet. I called Scotty and sure enough he told Hopkins, come to Monroe and play even. Hopkins did go to Monroe and beat Scotty but was only one who ever beat him on a particular table. Another good story Scotty takes me out to his vehicle and shows me he keeps a rattlesnake with him on the road in the event he goes busted he will raise money by letting the rattlesnake bite him to get money for another set, says people will always go for that move. Scotty says he been bit so many times it hardly phases him, maybe give him high fever but never fatal. Wow, fearless is Scotty Townsend, the bridge story is a fact too, I was in town for that one but was playing a set when he jumped 140 feet off the Miss. RIver bridge, no life preserver or tricks. Truly amazing guy, like no other I ever met.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I realize this is off topic, but I am getting spooked by the number of riders who are killed or maimed in motorcycle accidents. We've had several on these boards in a relatively small world.

Bbutler

topshots.ca
Silver Member
I also played him one time in Newnan, GA for about six hours, and he's drinking some pretty stiff Jack and Cokes the whole time. Then as I remember it a big dog comes in while he's shooting a tough backwards cut on an eight ball and barks at him, but it didn't even phase him and he knocked it right in, then landed in perfect position on the nine.

So I'm racking the balls and I'm like, that was crazy didn't you even see that dog?

And he says, You mean that was a real dog?

PoolChump

Banned
Reminds me of when Efren Reyes used a broom stick

He told someone that he would beat them playing with a tree limb. The guy said bet and Scotty went out behind the poolroom and took a pine sapling and whittled it down with his pocket knife for about 2 days until it was like a one piece pool cue. He didnt have a tip on it or anything like that but he proceeded to torture the guy using the limb.

Reminds me of when Efren Reyes used a broom stick.

atlslim

Registered
Scotty played in some of our tourneys early 90s in atlanta, one tourney bartender said im going to keep count of the number of beers scotty drinks today. Scotty played all day into finals which ended late sat nite. mon bartender said he counted 31 long neck buds, i still find that hard to believe but he swears it was the truth. RIP Scotty you are truly going to be missed by many my friend

TheMarsMan

Nice Gun!
Silver Member
Scotty and Andy Gilbert are cousins and they grew up together.

I heard a couple of stories from Andy, the first one Scotty found two large pieces of Styrofoam and duct taped them to his feet. He then proceeded to walk across a river that they used to go to all the time. Andy was amazed that he was actually able to walk on water to the middle of the river! At that point he lost his balance and fell over, what he didn't count on was the styrofoam wouldn't go under so he feet stayed above water! He was struggling to pull off his shoes but he duct taped all around and to his ankles! Andy had to jump in the water and drag him out.

Another time at the same river Scotty had a hose and two heavy blocks that he taped to his feet and was going to walk across the river while Andy held one end of the hose and he put the other one in his mouth. Everything went well until there wasn't enough air in the hose and it was just carbon dioxide from him breathing. Andy said he was able to crawl out himself after that one.

He will be missed!

DoubleA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scotty told me he was out in the upper midwest when he went into a cowboy bar. He said there were a couple of tables and he was just killing time and listening to the band when a tall, very fancily dressed guy with 2 fast looking women walked up to him and asked him if he could play for any money. Scotty said he would play for a little and the guy said he wouln't play for anything less than 100$. Scotty surprised him by agreeing. Sotty won the 1st, the guy said rack without paying, Scotty won again and the guy said rack without paying the second time. At this point Scotty said you owe me 2 hundred pay up be fore we play anymore. Scotty said "I didn't see it coming, but all of a sudden the guy jumped into the air, spun around, and kicked me right in the head". He said as I was coming to, the man was standing over me saying "you better know who you are F--king with". Scotty said he made it outside and just sat for a while clearing his head when he noticed about a 4 or 5 ft lenght of 2x4 next to a dumpster. He told me "I knew he was coming out sometime, and when he did I met him with the wood". As they were calling 911 I stood there and said "you better know who the f-ck you're kicking in the head".